Morrissey and Elton John

ALLIE WALLS

I saw a documentary about Elton John years ago when he described the process of songwriting for him in which Bernie Taupin would send him lyrics and he would sit and put them to music. This is the complete opposite to Morrisseys approach where he puts his lyrics to music given to him. It struck me that wouldn't it be interesting for Morrissey to give Elton John some of his lyrics and see what would come out (or visa versa).
Not likely to happen anytime soon as i recall Morrissey saying at a concert in London years back "bring me the head of Elton John" and i,m sure he said in interview once that the world is full of crashing bores was about people like Elton John. Strange that later when trying to get something together for Morrisseys meltdown in 2002 he had asked Elton to do a set of Jobraith covers which was not responded to. Not like Morrissey to piss someone off.

I think their styles are pretty dissimilar.
But regarding their so-called "feud," don't you recall the passage in Autobiography where in 2005 Moz and Elton meet up in Rome and it seems part on good terms?

"Whilst recording in Rome I meet Elton John, who is shockingly down-to-earth and gives me high praise for You Are the Quarry. He tells me how he loved the New York Dolls and Jobriath, but how he considered Bowie to be ‘a vampire’. A pleasant evening passes under a Rome sun which – even into late evening – seems not to go away."

Attachments

• IMG_8278.jpg
    IMG_8278.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I think their styles are pretty dissimilar.
But regarding their so-called "feud," don't you recall the passage in Autobiography where in 2005 Moz and Elton meet up in Rome and it seems part on good terms?

"Whilst recording in Rome I meet Elton John, who is shockingly down-to-earth and gives me high praise for You Are the Quarry. He tells me how he loved the New York Dolls and Jobriath, but how he considered Bowie to be ‘a vampire’. A pleasant evening passes under a Rome sun which – even into late evening – seems not to go away."

I think them being dissimilar is what makes it interesting. What tone would his music give the lyrics

Back
Top Bottom