"Low In High School" review by Pat Gilbert (3 stars) in Mojo

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Not bothered about reviews and will make my own mind up when I hear the album, however, the last sentence in the review is spot on.

Ahh reviews don't bother me too much. It just would be nice for once to see a critic actually doing a good job. Its like the critics of movies: they just summarise the plot. The Moz critic didn't even bother doing that much. A basic Amazon review would have more substance to it.

That's true. You can find better critics about music, books and films in Amazon's users reviews and other sites. They usually are more objective and have more substance than most professional critics.

No, never a 'fan'. I've been part of his Audience. I like his voice. It's very melodious. I also find his stage moves to be very funny, in a humasexualist sort of way. Some good lyrics along the way too but total nonsense lately. I don't like him but find him a fascinating example of the narcissistic downward spiral of popular culture. I like to compare and contrast him with Bowie. I think it's fascinating that he got away with his 'integrity' spiel for decades before being exposed as a silly troll.

Hope that helps!
Thanks. I agree about his integrity but as I mentioned I think he is clearly making a fool of himself and doesn't need to be 'exposed' by you or Benny. I don't think this site would be boring without your posts. In fact I think I'd probably leave thinking Mozzer's still a twat. Instead of that the main thing I take away is a disturbed dissapointment at the narcissistic downward spiral of general culture illustrated by you and Benny spending so much time posting here. The hashtag gates are laughably ridiculous as they are clearly only understood by a handful of people. So it seems you defeat your own aims.

Thanks. I agree about his integrity but as I mentioned I think he is clearly making a fool of himself and doesn't need to be 'exposed' by you or Benny. I don't think this site would be boring without your posts. In fact I think I'd probably leave thinking Mozzer's still a twat. Instead of that the main thing I take away is a disturbed dissapointment at the narcissistic downward spiral of general culture illustrated by you and Benny spending so much time posting here. The hashtag gates are laughably ridiculous as they are clearly only understood by a handful of people. So it seems you defeat your own aims.

It only takes a small amount of the people to rescue the Cult Of Morrissey. Myself and Benny are dedicated to saving these victims.

In other words....'more of the same old, same old. Not essential listening. 3/5'

Your 4950+ posts. More of the same old, same old f***wittery. 1/5
You said Morrissey would never get another major, yet he has. Get back in your box.

SOSB

It's great that Morrissey is releasing a new album with all these great new songs...I would much rather listen to Moz's solo years than The Smiths. His solo career is so vivid, the pallette of songs is so "across the board" that I can always revisit songs without the feeling they've been buried under a thick coating of "oh The Smiths' days songs.

I am just happy with my next twelve gems filled with mozziness..

"B+ for music but a C- for attitude"
Sounds like what they used to say about The Wild Turkey in high school.
"It has an Amazing Turkey Brain but it won't follow our rules.
We've tried throwing rocks at it, but it still won't listen.
We've tried shaming it, but it still won't listen.
We've tried shock treatment and now the thing
glows, but it still won't listen."
Yeah, have a feelin' that I'll like this new Moz record just fine.

Your 4950+ posts. More of the same old, same old f***wittery. 1/5
You said Morrissey would never get another major, yet he has. Get back in your box.

SOSB

That's really hurtful. I could almost cry! You are a HORRID! person!!!!! *sadface*

ps: As far as I can recall, I never said any such thing.

Not bothered about reviews and will make my own mind up when I hear the album, however, the last sentence in the review is spot on.

Have to agree Surface. It's only fair that we all wait and judge for ourselves.
Every time Steve has a new release due out, how I wish it was going to be like the old days.
The 'Qaurry' era ? I'm sure you'll remember how you felt and how great it was when you play it back now when driving in the car-warp-machine. I do. M E N arena ! "Oh Manchester nothing to answer for". The scaled down gig later on the tour at Preston "Welcome to our pot stall ! Happy birthday Jackie !" Highlight song for me that night You know I Couldn't Last (with a decent backing band)

Once again though things ain't looking good for our Steve. Once again we have to ask ourselves how can it keep going so badly wrong ? We can only put the blame on others for so long.
The sooner the release the better.

Bet you had a great night watching Buzzcocks last night though eh ? :thumb:
Have a great weekend, the dark nights are drawing in.:jackolantern:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

It only takes a small amount of the people to rescue the Cult Of Morrissey. Myself and Benny are dedicated to saving these victims.

Thanks for that BrummieBoy.
Much appreciated.
I feel saved now.
But, phew, it was a narrow escape. :rolleyes:
I will buy that album though.

This is the clearest review I've seen today. These are the best seats available eleven days prior to the show.
Opening night on the tour, and I can get better seats eleven days prior to the show itself than I could one minute after going on sale the last time he played the same venue. I love the guy, the politics should in fairness be left out of the record reviews, but it's obvious at this point he's hurting himself by not focusing on other areas, and alienating a lot of his fan base.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 11.07.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 11.07.58 AM.png
    78.9 KB · Views: 0
Viva Hate is the title of Morrissey's first solo album.

But that album is from nineteen hatie hate !!?
And, hating whatever he hated, he didn't exactly excluded himself.
I assume he spent some days in bed in those days too.
I can't imagine spending a day in bed, being good to yourself but still hating everything and everyone, including yourself.

This is the clearest review I've seen today. These are the best seats available eleven days prior to the show.
Opening night on the tour, and I can get better seats eleven days prior to the show itself than I could one minute after going on sale the last time he played the same venue. I love the guy, the politics should in fairness be left out of the record reviews, but it's obvious at this point he's hurting himself by not focusing on other areas, and alienating a lot of his fan base.

OK, on the subject of live dates... First off, I'm going to night 1 at the Hollywood Bowl, but let's be honest, Morrissey does not treat his shows as a way to reward the audience by playing fan favorites. He's clearly said he doesn't care what the fans want to hear, he's going to play what he wants to play. In other words, the stagnant setlists have also hurt him.

I just saw Depeche Mode and whether you like them or not, they do a great job of playing a balanced setlist. Only 3 songs from the new album and then favorites from several albums spanning their career. They are not above doing proper promotion, TV appearances with interviews .... and they sold out a record 4 nights at the Hollywood Bowl.

Last edited:
Have to agree Surface. It's only fair that we all wait and judge for ourselves.
Every time Steve has a new release due out, how I wish it was going to be like the old days.
The 'Qaurry' era ? I'm sure you'll remember how you felt and how great it was when you play it back now when driving in the car-warp-machine. I do. M E N arena ! "Oh Manchester nothing to answer for". The scaled down gig later on the tour at Preston "Welcome to our pot stall ! Happy birthday Jackie !" Highlight song for me that night You know I Couldn't Last (with a decent backing band)

Once again though things ain't looking good for our Steve. Once again we have to ask ourselves how can it keep going so badly wrong ? We can only put the blame on others for so long.
The sooner the release the better.

Bet you had a great night watching Buzzcocks last night though eh ? :thumb:
Have a great weekend, the dark nights are drawing in.:jackolantern:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Yes but to be honest from what i have heard to date its a step up from World Piece but still nothing that makes me think, f*** me thats ace, like I did when I heard Girl at the end of the road, on the last James album. Last night was great Benny, place was rammed, no stupid comments and a set which was exactly what the audience wanted to hear along with one really pleasant surprise. Without doubt, one of the finest bands to ever come out of Manchester who are still packing them in 40 years after they formed!

SHIMMERING !
Well I never. Let's not get too carried away at the moment.....good or bad, it's ALL down
to YOU (yes YOU) buying the albums. Spread the word.

Viva Morrissey
Hazard

By the content of the critic, it seems the album deserves more than 3 stars and the article should have another title.

I wonder why some people are automatically upset with Morrissey's words and they don't stop for a second to analize why he says one thing or another. They are only words, not a bombing. It's like they were programmed in a given way and any little detour from that programmed path (to disaster) make them feel uncomfortable. Why do we need to create robots if people are so easy to program? You just have to create a maze full of obstacles called professional career and put out of it and call losers all those people who dare to have an original opinion or refuse to repeat a given dogma. Then you'll have all the trained puppies making automatic tricks for their masters. We can see it everywhere, but it is more evident in mainstream media. When free press served people it was considered a pillar of a democratic state. Now press serves different groups of power and it's just another tool used to sustain the bunch of different criminal dictatorships that rule our world. Sorry for the digression.

Don't worry what you post as it's nice to have some intelligent comments.

These people are actually programmed to do exactly WHAT their 'Boss' says they should do. As we know. Which is why the whole NME "saga" had to be dealt-with. Which had also been going on for some time, sad to say. And it was, in style...

Now and then, a bright spark of light appears when SOMEONE listens before they sit down at a computer screen to produce 500 words. But I truly doubt it. That said, SHIMMERING is positively superb from these people.

Hazard

Tags
low in high school info
Back
Top Bottom