"Low In High School" review by Pat Gilbert (3 stars) in Mojo

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Still doesn't make sense. How are the two phrases connected with a comma? Surely it should be 'Give me an order, I'll blow up their daughter?' Or 'They give me an order, I'll blow up your daughter'?

NB: Morrissey is a 'lyrical genius'.

They aren't connected with a comma. Look at the review again. The / denotes the next line.

Morrissey is stating that a soldier will carry out an order. Even if it means killing someones daughter. Hasn't got to be a soldier in the military either.

'Morrissey makes pleasant sounding album with dumb lyrics which echo his media trolling. 3/5. Ignore'

I'm not sure you read the review. It says quite the reverse. The reviewer says his music is "invariably nuanced and deeply humanistic" then defends the potentially controversial Israel, Girl From Tel Aviv and I Bury The Living, and concludes he should "concentrate on expressing his views through his music." Which I think most here would agree with.

They aren't connected with a comma. Look at the review again. The / denotes the next line.

Morrissey is stating that a soldier will carry out an order. Even if it means killing someones daughter. Hasn't got to be a soldier in the military either.

'Give me an order, I'll blow up your daughter'

Not his own daughter Brummie. "Your daughter"

So, why did YOU add a comma? LOL!

I'm not sure you read the review. It says quite the reverse. The reviewer says his music is "invariably nuanced and deeply humanistic" then defends the potentially controversial Israel, Girl From Tel Aviv and I Bury The Living, and concludes he should "concentrate on expressing his views through his music." Which I think most here would agree with.

You *might* want to explore the subtle diss that is contained in the use of the words 'invariably nuanced'...

I'll help you. He's saying that Morrissey can afford a good producer to add flourishes and 'nuances' to his Dad Rock band's compositions. The same producer could do that to almost any dreck.

How sad that you cannot admit your whole stupid complaint was based on an error. You and Benny are just looking for things to moan about and when nothing comes up you see things that aren't even there. Pathetic.

What is wrong with Morrissey's Stans on this thread? There is nothing controversial about this review. Nothing.

A 4* review would imply a 'return to form' or 'new territories explored with success'.
A 5* review would imply a 'career zenith' equal to the best of The Smiths.
I doubt anyone here seriously believes that the songs aired to date are anything more than 3* additions to the Morrissey-Solo song catalogue. I think the Uncut reviewer was right with a 2* review suggesting the new record is as bad as Kill Uncle. If Morrissey was ever allowed to produce his own record it would be a 1*. Just listen to 'Sorrow Will Get You In The End' for evidence of what rubbish he's capable of if he's not reigned in by commercial forces applied by his label/employer.

There is no need for this thread to descend into a vale of tears for Morrissey's Stans. You love him unconditionally no matter what nonsense he spouts or what mediocre music and lyrics he throws at you. Continue in your trance. For those of us in the wider audience, the reviews in Uncut and Mojo are gratifying confirmations of our responses to the live performances of the songs to date. The songs are 'OK'. They are 'more Morrissey Solo songs'. They are not essential, they are just more songs. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be anything as silly as 'Kid's A Looker' but there are several lyrical faux-pas to mock and LOL at. It's just another record by another industry fixture who rolls around and around amidst the C List swamp.

He quotes lyrics from unaired songs.
Yes, but the same ones quoted from previously released reviews. It's easy to crank out a review without even hearing the album. I haven't heard all of Depeche Mode's newest, but I could say for instance-

"Bombastic opener Where's The Revolution? sets the stage on Depeche Mode's latest album, their first since 2013's Delta Machine. The political overtones are immediate, and clear as Gahan sings "The train is coming, the train is coming, so get on board" after sardonically asking the listener "Where's the revolution? Come on people, you're letting me down." Other standouts are the shimmering, synth heavy Cover me, a Violator-esque song that is sure to please the older fans as well as the new. The songs veer from bombastic, guitar heavy arena rock, to tender ballads. My only criticism is that they often resort to the trademark Depeche Mode sound, simultaneously arena ready, and intimate, so some tracks seem far too familiar, given that they are new."
3/5 stars

Yes, but the same ones quoted from previously released reviews. It's easy to crank out a review without even hearing the album. I haven't heard all of Depeche Mode's newest, but I could say for instance-

"Bombastic opener Where's The Revolution? sets the stage on Depeche Mode's latest album, their first since 2013's Delta Machine. The political overtones are immediate, and clear as Gahan sings "The train is coming, the train is coming, so get on board" after sardonically asking the listener "Where's the revolution? Come on people, you're letting me down." Other standouts are the shimmering, synth heavy Cover me, a Violator-esque song that is sure to please the older fans as well as the new. The songs veer from bombastic, guitar heavy arena rock, to tender ballads. My only criticism is that they often resort to the trademark Depeche Mode sound, simultaneously arena ready, and intimate, so some tracks seem far too familiar, given that they are new."
3/5 stars

You are accurately describing reality. I know folk who used to be part of the 'review circus'. There's a 'grapevine of opinion' amongst journos who hang out at the same places. It comes down to this:

"Have you heard Moz's new stuff?"
"Yeah, record company tried to blow me into giving it a great review but it's a bit naff"
"Any stand-out tracks?"
"Nah, not really. Just the usual bollocks with a few more troll lyrics"
"Cheers, got to get through loads of product this week. Owe you a pint, mate"

What is wrong with Morrissey's Stans on this thread? There is nothing controversial about this review. Nothing.

A 4* review would imply a 'return to form' or 'new territories explored with success'.
A 5* review would imply a 'career zenith' equal to the best of The Smiths.
I doubt anyone here seriously believes that the songs aired to date are anything more than 3* additions to the Morrissey-Solo song catalogue. I think the Uncut reviewer was right with a 2* review suggesting the new record is as bad as Kill Uncle. If Morrissey was ever allowed to produce his own record it would be a 1*. Just listen to 'Sorrow Will Get You In The End' for evidence of what rubbish he's capable of if he's not reigned in by commercial forces applied by his label/employer.

There is no need for this thread to descend into a vale of tears for Morrissey's Stans. You love him unconditionally no matter what nonsense he spouts or what mediocre music and lyrics he throws at you. Continue in your trance. For those of us in the wider audience, the reviews in Uncut and Mojo are gratifying confirmations of our responses to the live performances of the songs to date. The songs are 'OK'. They are 'more Morrissey Solo songs'. They are not essential, they are just more songs. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be anything as silly as 'Kid's A Looker' but there are several lyrical faux-pas to mock and LOL at. It's just another record by another industry fixture who rolls around and around amidst the C List swamp.

Some songs are better than others. Wow, revelationary. Really justifies your pointless existence.

There was a time Q or Mojo et al would go through each song and discuss it. The writer put more effort in to the preamble than anything else.
I'd give the reviewer 2/5.
Regards,
FWD.

You are accurately describing reality. I know folk who used to be part of the 'review circus'. There's a 'grapevine of opinion' amongst journos who hang out at the same places. It comes down to this:

"Have you heard Moz's new stuff?"
"Yeah, record company tried to blow me into giving it a great review but it's a bit naff"
"Any stand-out tracks?"
"Nah, not really. Just the usual bollocks with a few more troll lyrics"
"Cheers, got to get through loads of product this week. Owe you a pint, mate"
Oh I know! I have a friend who is a music critic. Most of the stuff she reviews is Riot Grrl or Punk (she interviewed Lydon on the last PiL) so it's in her wheelhouse, but she has admitted to picking from other reviews to form a half-assed one if she's running behind or dislikes the band. And yeah, she's going to remain nameless.

Some songs are better than others. Wow, revelationary. Really justifies your pointless existence.

That's what reviews are about. There is a need to classify songs in some sort of hierarchy so that readers can decide if it's worth investigating the product. What this reviewer is saying is that these 'invariably nuanced' songs are inessential. Just more of the same. That's why it's given 3* and not 5* status. This seems to upset you. Why? All it means is that the average reader of Mojo can now decide if they want to investigate a new record that a 'professional reviewer' has decided is mediocre. It will probably be free to hear on Spotify so there's every opportunity for the 'clueless consumers' Morrissey railed against in 'Kid's A Looker' to prove this reviewer wrong. And the Uncut reviewer. There's really no need to become emotionally intangled in Morrissey's commercial prospects. He is just another cog in the entertainment industry machine. If people decide they're bored of his 'controversial trolling' or that they have more than enough Morrissey songs already, why would that bother you? It will bother Morrissey because he imagines he is 'special' or a 'star' when all the evidence from the wider public is that he is regarded as an annoying troll with a nice voice. A singing Smurf.

Wow, I'm amazed at the amount of positivity in this review:
  • a glistening and richly textured beast
  • alive with trademark galloping glam rock, ebullient chanson and haunting piano balladry
  • Bury the Living - a 7 minute epic (just one of the record's highlights)
  • standard of the songs is undoubtedly high
  • Jacky is 'Smithsy'
  • Home is 'shimmering'
Really surprised at the praise showered on the lyrics, too
  • powerful, partisan and controversial - Morrissey should concentrate on expressing his views through his records
  • presenting himself as the alternative statesman of the people for the people
  • songs that could have given cause for concern, lyrically, include one that is in fact 'a damning condemnation of US foreign policy and its attacks on foreign populations for their oil'
  • the theme of governments and military going about their business while ordinary folk suffer is the big statement here
And that's without Spent the Day or (many people's favourite) 'All the Young People' even getting a mention.
Bring on November 17th!

There was a time Q or Mojo et al would go through each song and discuss it. The writer put more effort in to the preamble than anything else.
I'd give the reviewer 2/5.
Regards,
FWD.

The situation has changed. Before free piracy downloads/streaming the 'clueless consumer' who Morrissey rails against in 'Kid's A Looker' was limited to random reviews and radio play to decide whether or not to invest £ in purchasing a CD. In that era music jouralists had a privileged position and were taken seriously. Record companies could wine and dine reviewers or promise them access to interviews if they played the game and inflated reviews to 4/5*. Now that everybody can make up their own minds or access the views of their Social Media circle of friends and 'influencers', less and less people care about what reviewers have to say. This includes reviewers themselves who no longer earn as much money for a review due to dwindling print sales. They know they no longer control the conversation about whether or not a new album sucks or is worth listening to. There are simply too many records released to bother going into excessive detail about them. Only really big releases by top selling stars like Taylor Swift gain any sort of forensic investigation. Morrissey is now just another C List Boomer releasing product to publicise an upcoming tour. I bet the average reviewer of WPINOYB would struggle to name any of the tracks now even if they gave it a good review upon release, or even listened to it after a few days. Think about the amount of product these people 'review'. It's just a conveyor belt, 3/5 mostly dross.

The initial reviews are signalling to the serious music listener who purchases Uncut and Mojo that LIHS is 'OK'. The wider public with a vague interest in popular music are ignoring it despite media exposure on BBC radio and television. The only interesting question remaining is how strong the residual 'fan/cult' numbers are for this C List artist. Enough to sell out venues? Will this new album get bums on seats for arena shows? Or medium theatres? Or entertain a festival crowd mid-afternoon? It's all rather fascinating. Isn't it? *smirks* Certainly, there's no need for anybody to get upset about this review.

That's what reviews are about. There is a need to classify songs in some sort of hierarchy so that readers can decide if it's worth investigating the product. What this reviewer is saying is that these 'invariably nuanced' songs are inessential. Just more of the same. That's why it's given 3* and not 5* status. This seems to upset you. Why? All it means is that the average reader of Mojo can now decide if they want to investigate a new record that a 'professional reviewer' has decided is mediocre. It will probably be free to hear on Spotify so there's every opportunity for the 'clueless consumers' Morrissey railed against in 'Kid's A Looker' to prove this reviewer wrong. And the Uncut reviewer. There's really no need to become emotionally intangled in Morrissey's commercial prospects. He is just another cog in the entertainment industry machine. If people decide they're bored of his 'controversial trolling' or that they have more than enough Morrissey songs already, why would that bother you? It will bother Morrissey because he imagines he is 'special' or a 'star' when all the evidence from the wider public is that he is regarded as an annoying troll with a nice voice. A singing Smurf.

Brummie Boy,
I accept Morrissey has become a bit of a twat to say the least. At times I feel disheartened that the chap who's art was so unique, soulful and sensitive and who inspired and spoke to me as a teenager has disappeared. But I've grown up and have a life which is not weighed down by Morrissey's continuing story. I pop here from time to time to check what he's up to. I just wondered why you and Benny feel the need to hang round here milking every piece of news that fits your wish to destroy Morrissey ? Why would you regularly post at a site dedicated to an artist that you don't like ? I'm genuinely interested to know. Wouldn't your time be better spent posting positive comments about artists you love ? Are there any ? If so I would love to know who fulfils your expectations ?

cheer-fail-o.gif

Wow, I'm amazed at the amount of positivity in this review:
  • a glistening and richly textured beast
  • alive with trademark galloping glam rock, ebullient chanson and haunting piano balladry
  • Bury the Living - a 7 minute epic (just one of the record's highlights)
  • standard of the songs is undoubtedly high
  • Jacky is 'Smithsy'
  • Home is 'shimmering'
Really surprised at the praise showered on the lyrics, too
  • powerful, partisan and controversial - Morrissey should concentrate on expressing his views through his records
  • presenting himself as the alternative statesman of the people for the people
  • songs that could have given cause for concern, lyrically, include one that is in fact 'a damning condemnation of US foreign policy and its attacks on foreign populations for their oil'
  • the theme of governments and military going about their business while ordinary folk suffer is the big statement here
And that's without Spent the Day or (many people's favourite) 'All the Young People' even getting a mention.
Bring on November 17th!

You *might* want to explore the subtle diss that is contained in the use of the words 'invariably nuanced'...

I'll help you. He's saying that Morrissey can afford a good producer to add flourishes and 'nuances' to his Dad Rock band's compositions. The same producer could do that to almost any dreck.

You *might* want to reread as the reviewer is talking about Morrissey's entire oeuvre in that quote and not just this album. So I'll assume you are being deliberately obtuse.

Tags
low in high school info
Back
Top Bottom