"Louder Than Bombs: The Smiths in Ireland, Nov '84" - RTE 1 Radio Documentary on The Smiths' Nov. 1984 Irish tour, 2pm Sat. 19 Aug, 2023

Update:
(August 18, 2023)
Now available to listen to via:

RTE 1 Radio Documentary (Ireland)
Sat 19 Aug, 2023
14:00
Documentary on One
IT'S time the tale were told about The Smiths' November 1984 tour of Ireland. One that involves paramilitaries, politics and nine gigs over 10 chaotic days.

Ticket for The Smiths SFX Dublin 1984.jpg

An alternative title I heard mentioned is, Louder than Bombs. These documentaries are usually available for playback here -

(Also listed for the same day, later on RTE 1 TV, at 11.45pm, is a film premier of madcap Irish vampire comedy Let The Wrong One In, which may somehow relate too)

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
£6.50 a ticket,happy days.
no re-admission so if you stage invade and get kicked out you werent getting back in.

They played Galway on that tour and my brother wanted me to go as he had two tickets. I had just turned 12 and thought of myself as too young to go to a concert. What a twat. The Smiths could have been my very first concert.

Where and how can a technically befuddled yank watch this?

They played Galway on that tour and my brother wanted me to go as he had two tickets. I had just turned 12 and thought of myself as too young to go to a concert. What a twat. The Smiths could have been my very first concert.
Thanks for sharing that. Whenever I'm thinking about all the bad decisions I've made in my life I will remember this and think "Well, at least I didn't do that!" :)

I sadly have a similar tragedy in my life. A friend offered me an extra ticket to see The Smiths perform at Universal Ampitheatre in Los Angeles for The Queen Is Dead tour. I said “no thanks” because at 16 I was more interested in earning $2.85 an hour scooping popcorn at the movie theater I worked at.

You can listen to the podcast now without waiting for the radio.
Here:

Added to OP.
FWD.

Edit:
As it doesn't allow saving, here's the MP3 of the podcast to listen to at your leisure:

See also:
RTE: "How The Smiths' Irish tour turned incendiary - Documentary On One" (August 18, 2023)
By David Coughlan and is an article in its own right to accompany this podcast thread.

You can listen to the podcast now without waiting for the radio.
Here:

Added to OP.
FWD.

Edit:
As it doesn't allow saving, here's the MP3 of the podcast to listen to at your leisure:
Wonderful. Thank you FWD.

its a good listen.dave fanning was always a bit of a dick back then,someone who thought he was more important than the person he was interviewing,morrisseys father turning up at the first show.
dont know what they did with Ms voice,he sounds like a cartoon character in the first snippet five minutes in,sounds sped up.

its a good listen.dave fanning was always a bit of a dick back then,someone who thought he was more important than the person he was interviewing,morrisseys father turning up at the first show.
dont know what they did with Ms voice,he sounds like a cartoon character in the first snippet five minutes in,sounds sped up.
That’s how he spoke back then.

I was a nipper at the time but I remember my best friend in school talking about his older brother who was a student in Belfast going to see The Smiths play at the Ulster Hall. James were support that night. Can't seem to find a setlist for the November gig. There is a setlist for a previous gig in May 1984. Great setlist.

I sadly have a similar tragedy in my life. A friend offered me an extra ticket to see The Smiths perform at Universal Ampitheatre in Los Angeles for The Queen Is Dead tour. I said “no thanks” because at 16 I was more interested in earning $2.85 an hour scooping popcorn at the movie theater I worked at.

Jeez, that's even worse, missing The Smiths in 1986!!! And that concert was incredible, not that I was there, mind you, but I have the bootleg and it is a very impressive concert.

What I wouldn't give for a time machine!! The first thing I'd do would be going back to 1986 in the middle of a Smiths tour.

It contains a whole lot of new material and quite a few hilarious anecdotes. The legendary compilation album, Hatful of Hollow was released on 12th November as the tour kicked off. A fantastic listen with a real buzz! :guitar:

Last edited:
Update:
(August 18, 2023)
Now available to listen to via:

RTE 1 Radio Documentary (Ireland)
Sat 19 Aug, 2023
14:00
Documentary on One
IT'S time the tale were told about The Smiths' November 1984 tour of Ireland. One that involves paramilitaries, politics and nine gigs over 10 chaotic days.

An alternative title I heard mentioned is, Louder than Bombs. These documentaries are usually available for playback here -

(Also listed for the same day, later on RTE 1 TV, at 11.45pm, is a film premier of madcap Irish vampire comedy Let The Wrong One In, which may somehow relate too)

Related item:
🌴🍀🌴🍀🌴Erin GO Brah🍀🌴🍀🌴🍀Y.J.H.E.I.Y.B. & T.H.R. on Resurrection SUNDAY 91 X S.D. ....thanks Halloran👍Molly, Maggy, Daisy, Zack, Rocco, Jackson, David S.D.Park Blvd. Morrissey Crew🌴🍀🌴🍀🌴🍀🌴

Back
Top Bottom