Liverpool - Empire Theatre (July 18, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

How Soon Is Now? / Suedehead / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / I Wish You Lonely / Frankly, Mr. Shankly / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Girlfriend In A Coma / Our Frank / Knockabout World / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Half A Person / My Hurling Days Are Done / Bonfire Of Teenagers / Everyday Is Like Sunday / The Loop / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Speedway // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist courtesy of whichway2 via setlist.fm

Last edited by a moderator:
Just on the train back to Manchester - I'd say Morrissey and the band were on very good form. It felt a much better gig than the last time I saw him in 2022 at the Apollo in Manchester - whole gig fell a bit flat for one reason or another another.

The Empire is a lovely theatre and these sort of venues are definitely a plus point from his recent tours. Naturally the setlist could do with a serious refresh as the likes of Knockabout World, Paris, Telephone Rings, are really underwhelming choices when you consider he could play literally anything else. That said, the opening 5 or 6 songs was a really strong run - it's only that middle selection of songs that drags a bit.

Musically the new band sound very good and have definitely given Moz a bit of renewed vigour. I thought Stop Me sounded a bit off, but otherwise really, really good - also great to have Speedway back on the setlist. On Speedway it's funny how many casual fans think the song has ended during the break in the middle!

Moz himself seemed in good spirits with some banter with the crowd. He made a great joke about famous Liverpudlians graves he'd visited "Ken Dodd, Billy Fury, Cillla Black, Edwina Curry...she's not dead?? Hopefully soon". Got a big pop. Slight stranger was asking what we thought of Sunak, Sadiq Khan and Zelensky - nobody really got that one, especially about the latter.

Hopefully as the band gel a bit more he'll think about switching up the setlist as that is really what's holding him back at the moment.

I was there almost 22 years to the day... My first Moz gig. If he plays Frank, I feel like I'll have come full circle!
It's funny. On Sat night in Dublin someone tossed him a cigarette during Our Frank and he stuck it in his mouth and it reminded me of him doing it back in 1991 on his second Dublin concert that year. Brought me right back.

It's funny. On Sat night in Dublin someone tossed him a cigarette during Our Frank and he stuck it in his mouth and it reminded me of him doing it back in 1991 on his second Dublin concert that year. Brought me right back.
That used to happen all the fecking time in the 90s and he would often stick one in his gob. I think there was a single cover with him with a fag in the gob

Bloody hell. Does she hang about laundries for fun? She can starch my collar anytime.
The best looking Moz fan girls are in South America . Although the Moz fangirl Jake hooked up with was fit as feck . I saw jake with her at Hammersmith in 2015 I'd say compared to her and some of the South Americans this one is not even a 4 . You get loads of these "fans " on IG they say the pic is about a Smiths record but really they are standing there in a pvc catsuit with hard nips showing. Pure attention seeking. Not fecking judging. More power to em

That really was brilliant, loved it.

M seemed just a touch irritable but only between songs.

Still not sure what he meant with the Zelensky monologue lol

Really excellent setlist, Speedway was the highlight probably.

Strange the amount of people moaning about the set list. I’d say it’s the strongest set list of his solo career- look at all the Smiths greats, plus Suedehead, Speedway etc. It’s a great set list.

Its so sad to see how those musicians together doesn't look like a band. They are just like pawns placed or forced to be there. M deserves better, so much better.

This picture was taken in Liverpool in November 2009. I believe poor Morrissey walked off after being hit by a bottle. Nasty.

a smash of glass and a rumble of boots

0911 Lpool Echo MozHit, Francis Bacon image.jpg

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom