Fox5NY: Morrissey, Exclusive Performance & Interview (October 20, 2023)

UPDATE October 20:

"Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings" on "Good Day New York / Fox5NY - Winkin’ Long / YouTube. Link posted by TheSmiths_1985.

Interview with Rosanna Scotto now on Fox5NY and YouTube:

From MarcoD71 (mp4 download available):

Audio link and screenshot posted by Famous when dead:

full

Posted by Famous when dead (original post):

full

Media coverage:
Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday I decided to listen to the new Rolling Stones album on YT. The album itself is great. Perfect compositions, great Jagger, truly irresistible Lady Gaga. An album referring to the Stones in their glory days. There was one thing I didn't like and at the same time it reminded me of something. Sound, production. I checked . The producer of Hackney Diamonds is Andy Watt. I really want BOT to see the light of day as soon as possible. But I'm very afraid of what the producer has done with great songs. I am afraid that the difference between what we hear (less and less often, but still) at concerts and what is on the album is huge the detriment of studio recordings. And yes, the Rebels studio version is tragically bad :rolleyes:
Really liking the new stones album.
I always said the same thing about rebels without applause and this style of mixing, it’s never been my taste and my major complaint with his more recent stuff is not the music itself but the production.

….. however today I listened to rebels without applause again, not on tinny little headphones or a crappy car speaker but on bass heavy, beefy headphones.
And… I liked it? I thought it sounded pretty good? Am I insane, let me know!

Really liking the new stones album.
I always said the same thing about rebels without applause and this style of mixing, it’s never been my taste and my major complaint with his more recent stuff is not the music itself but the production.

….. however today I listened to rebels without applause again, not on tinny little headphones or a crappy car speaker but on bass heavy, beefy headphones.
And… I liked it? I thought it sounded pretty good? Am I insane, let me know!
You arent insane. You really get used to it. Other than the auto tune, it sounds big, boomy, dynamic.

Imagine getting the chance for a rare interview/exposure where you bemoan the lack of a release for your great new album that you're dying to share with the world, and you choose to play an absolute dirge like 'Sure Enough...'.

He's done, I feel, if that's the best he can muster. If I was a neutral watching that, or a record company exec, it'd certainly not grab my attention or excite me.

Imagine getting the chance for a rare interview/exposure where you bemoan the lack of a release for your great new album that you're dying to share with the world, and you choose to play an absolute dirge like 'Sure Enough...'.

He's done, I feel, if that's the best he can muster. If I was a neutral watching that, or a record company exec, it'd certainly not grab my attention or excite me.
Terrible mix on that show but I do like the song.
Maybe it’s the only one Carmen can play? Who knows.

I do find the constant slights against Carmen’s playing a bit unclear. Why the wildly different opinions on here skill?

She’s a creative player, to this layman.

I do find the constant slights against Carmen’s playing a bit unclear. Why the wildly different opinions on here skill?

Not a slight - but she didn’t write the music to this album, and it takes time to learn them and get good.

Not a slight - but she didn’t write the music to this album, and it takes time to learn them and get good.
Fair enough and no enmity to your post - there is both scepticism and celebration in this forum and I am curious to hear folk’s reasoning.

Fair enough and no enmity to your post - there is both scepticism and celebration in this forum and I am curious to hear folk’s reasoning.
I think people generally feel her playing is a bit inconsistent and too rocky, if that makes sense - too much rock 'n' roll and not enough jangle. But I think she adds a fantastic muscularity to the songs, especially tracks like 'Our Frank' which is at risk of being a little limp like the original studio version.

I wouldn’t worry about solo ‘reasoning’, it’s not a reflection of what people really think of her. Just listening to the applause Carmen got last night tells how much she’s loved …

time stamped

I think people generally feel her playing is a bit inconsistent and too rocky, if that makes sense - too much rock 'n' roll and not enough jangle. But I think she adds a fantastic muscularity to the songs, especially tracks like 'Our Frank' which is at risk of being a little limp like the original studio version.
I agree with you on Our Frank. However she shines on songs like Hank and Pop Dropped.

On Please Please there's a backing track of an acoustic guitar. That's because she or the other girl can't play it properly. They probably tried it on rehearsals. How shameful to resort to a backing track. At this point M should sing alone and ditch the whole band

On Please Please there's a backing track of an acoustic guitar. That's because she or the other girl can't play it properly. They probably tried it on rehearsals. How shameful to resort to a backing track. At this point M should sing alone and ditch the whole band

Is this verified? Carmen Vandenberg and Camila Grey both can't play the acoustic part of Please Please? That's surprising. It's not exactly Liszt.

Is this verified? Carmen Vandenberg and Camila Grey both can't play the acoustic part of Please Please? That's surprising. It's not exactly Liszt.

Someone is most likely using an acoustic guitar simulator pedal with their electric guitar.

I'm not "against" Carmen, but I really do miss the renewed enthusiasm and excitement Alain brought during his return. Second stints in Morrissey land are quite rare and it just sucks realizing he's gone...again. Moz only has himself to blame on that. He was the one who chose the touring manager (Donnie) over Alain. Personally, I would have gone with the guy who I've known and worked with for nearly 20 years. And he lost Gustavo in all this, too.

Carmen's OK, but she has big shoes to fill. Not really sure she's the best fit (playing wise) for Moz but it seems like they all get on well which is good.

Crappy tv studio mix
The female backing vocals were noticeable, and to my years, in a good way; adding a quality found in a lot of music Morrissey has cited over the years. Let's hear more and have the effect grow on us. :flowers:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom