Morrissey Central "BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS, RIP" (February 13, 2023) - Morrissey vs Capitol Records

20C9B95B-45BE-4406-B21F-065BD6184F78.jpeg

Capitol Records (Los Angeles) proudly promotes Sam Smith’s ‘satanism’; yet they consider the honest truth of Morrissey’s factual ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ to be their biggest threat and they will not release it despite their contractual obligation and promise to do so.

Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm personally let down by them not releasing it. The single was very good. Now it doesn't look like I'm going to hear the album any time soon.

Sam Smith is sickening to look at...

I wonder if he will continue to play BoF-songs live in three weeks time, or rather new songs that they are recording now.
With these recent developments, I wouldn't be surprised if we get some of the yet-to-be-played BOT songs. In fact, we might be the entire album through live versions now.

he should do it as a live in studio recording, note for note. he could do as many takes as he likes, edit, polish as he pleases. release it as a live recording. quite a bit of work, but if he believes in it, he could do it. worked for the beatles.
Do you mean self-release it as a live recording? If he finally goes down that road then much becomes possible. Otherwise, it seems very unlikely he'll get a record deal for a live release of BOT.

Last edited:
I don't think, from a purely legal point of view, he can release the record in it's entirety as a live one, before it was Capitol's turn.

Last edited:
Will Moz try to be 'controversy' free on WMTWD do you think? Or on the back of BOT will he go for a full frontal controversy fest on the next album? Imagine the face of the average record label exec if the track listing went something like this:

1. You're the One for Me JK - a defence of JK Rowling against the haters.
2. Big Mouth Strikes Again and Again and Again - a critique of 'cancel' culture.
3. Girls Afraid - a scathing condemnation of the Rotherham grooming gangs scandal.
4. Panic on the Streets of London, Birmingham, and Manchester - a mournful reflection on the recent UK census results and the eradication of working class culture in England.
5. Everyday is like Living in a Police State - another blistering critique of 'cancel' culture.
6. I Don't Mind If You Cancel Me - see above.
7. The UKIP Disco - about a confused kid who finds redemption via Nigel Farage and Brexit.
8. The King is Dead - don't even ask!
9. Germaine, Take A Bow - in praise of Germane Greer and women's sex based rights.
10. There's A Place in Hell for the Woke - goes without saying.

And as bonus tracks - You're Not Gonna Need the Covid Jab on Your Side, a condemnation of the scamdemic and the vaccination programme, and The Last of the Famous International Vaccine Skeptics, with Van Morrison and Ian Brown on backing vocals. (No wait - they have both asked for their vocals to be removed for 'legal reasons').

Form an orderly queue now guys! Don't all bid at once.

The use of the word 'factual' in the statement is interesting. I made the mistake of watching some of the Brit Awards the other day. I was left with the feeling that modern life and what we see on the media appears more and more like some bizarre virtual reality. Completely unreal and fake. And over choreographed. And the sad thing is - it's not even a good virtual reality, but a really bad one.
Has anyone tried typing in 'write a song in the style of Morrissey' on Open AI yet? The result was bloody awful. Artificial intelligence isn't ready to replace the artist any time soon. Whereas Sam Smith - I wonder...

ChatGPT: 'Compose a press release in the prose style of Morrissey which complains about a global conspiracy to thwart the release of his latest album in a paranoid and irrational manner , naming 'Capitol Records' as the main suspect. Then turn the press release into a lyric for a Morrissey song.

Press Release:

Morrissey Lashes Out Against Global Conspiracy to Suppress Latest Album

Morrissey, the iconic singer and songwriter, has come out swinging against a global conspiracy that he believes is working to suppress the release of his latest album. In a recent statement, Morrissey accused Capitol Records of spearheading a nefarious campaign to thwart his artistic vision and prevent his loyal fans from hearing his latest work.

According to Morrissey, the conspiracy extends far beyond Capitol Records and involves a complex web of powerful interests that are determined to silence his voice and control the music industry. He cites a litany of examples, from executives who refuse to return his phone calls to radio stations that refuse to play his songs, as evidence of a sinister plot to keep him from reaching his audience.

"Capitol Records is the prime suspect in this heinous crime against me and my music," Morrissey declared. "But they are not acting alone. There are shadowy forces at work here, behind the scenes, pulling the strings and manipulating the system. They are determined to silence me and keep my message from the people."

Morrissey's allegations have sparked a fierce debate in the music industry, with some dismissing his claims as paranoid and unfounded, while others argue that he has been the victim of a coordinated campaign of harassment and sabotage.'

'Can you rephrase the lyrics to an Eminem rap?'

Verse 1: "Capitol Records, always on my case, Conspiring against me, tryna put me in my place, My new album, they wanna hide and delete, But I won't stay silent, I won't retreat.

Chorus: There's a global conspiracy, To shut me up and make me history, But I won't let them take my crown, I'll keep on rapping, taking 'em down.

Verse 2: They won't return my calls, they won't give me a chance, Radio won't play my hits, they tryna choke my advance, But I won't give up, I'll keep on pushing, My rhymes will flow, my words will keep on buzzing.

Chorus: There's a global conspiracy, To shut me up and make me history, But I won't let them take my crown, I'll keep on rapping, taking 'em down.

Bridge: I won't stay silent, I won't give in, My beats will drop, my flow will spin, And though they try to bring me down, I won't stop now, I'll keep on the crown.

Chorus: There's a global conspiracy, To shut me up and make me history, But I won't let them take my crown, I'll keep on rapping, taking 'em down!"

Excellent. Now I'd like this press release in the style of a movie script based on 'The Wicker Man' which ends with Morrissey being immolated on a pagan bonfire ritual whilst a choir led by Sam Smith sings his song 'Bonfire Of Teenagers'...

FADE IN:

EXT. ISOLATED ISLAND - DAY

Morrissey arrives on a secluded island in the middle of the ocean, eager to unveil his latest album to the world. He is greeted by an eerie silence and the cold gaze of the island's inhabitants.

MORRISSEY: What is this place? Why are you all staring at me?

ISLANDER: You are not welcome here, stranger. You bring with you the stench of the modern world.

Morrissey looks around, feeling increasingly uneasy.

MORRISSEY: I don't understand. I came here to share my music, to connect with people. Why are you all acting like this?

ISLANDER: We have our own ways here. Our own beliefs. And we do not welcome outsiders.

Morrissey feels a growing sense of danger, but he is determined to make his voice heard.

MORRISSEY: I won't be silenced. I won't be intimidated. I'll make sure the world hears my music.

INT. PAGAN TEMPLE - NIGHT

Morrissey is led to a pagan temple at the heart of the island. He is surrounded by robed figures and an ominous air.

MORRISSEY: What is this place? What's going on?

ISLANDER: You will see soon enough. We have a ritual to perform.

Morrissey starts to panic, but he is held down by the islanders as they begin to chant.

MORRISSEY: Let me go! What is this madness?

But it is too late. Morrissey is led to the center of the temple, where a massive bonfire is already burning. A choir, led by Sam Smith, begins to sing Morrissey's song "Bonfire of Teenagers" in a hauntingly beautiful melody.

Morrissey realizes too late that he is being set up as the sacrifice for the islanders' pagan ritual. He struggles to break free, but it is too late. The islanders push him towards the flames, and he goes up in a blaze of fire.

The choir continues to sing Morrissey's song as the islanders dance around the bonfire, celebrating their victory.

FADE TO BLACK.

THE END.

That's very evocative! Can we now have a coda scene where Morrissey delivers a speech at The Brits music awards in 2024 where he thanks himself for winning, dusmisses Taylor Swift as a music industry AI songwriter android, praises his fans for rioting outside the recent Grammy Awards and announces the release of the second installment of his 'Autobiography', quoting from his 'Bad Sex l' award for his gothic novel 'List Of The Lost'.

FADE IN:

INT. O2 ARENA - NIGHT

The Brits Music Awards are in full swing. Morrissey takes the stage, dressed in a flamboyant suit, as the audience cheers and applauds.

MORRISSEY: Thank you, thank you. I know you're all thrilled that I won this award

. And you should be. Let's face it, who else could it be? Not Taylor Swift, the AI songwriter android who's been fed a few formulas by the industry and turned into a superstar. Not Adele, who's too busy singing about her exes. It's me, Morrissey, the only artist who matters.

The audience cheers again, as Morrissey waves his hand and continues his speech.

MORRISSEY: And let me tell you, my fans are the only ones who truly understand me. Thank you for rioting outside the Grammys, for showing the world that you won't be silenced. I love you all.

The crowd roars in approval, as Morrissey takes a deep breath and smiles.

MORRISSEY: And now, the moment you've been waiting for. The release of the second installment of my autobiography. You'll be pleased to know that it's even more scandalous than the first one. I'm quoting from my 'Bad Sex l' award-winning novel 'List Of The Lost', and you won't believe what's in there.

The audience is stunned, as Morrissey grins and holds up a copy of the book.

MORRISSEY: So go ahead, buy it, read it, and be outraged. That's what I do best. Thank you and goodnight.

The crowd cheers as Morrissey exits the stage, confident and unapologetic.

FADE TO BLACK.

THE END.

Another film scene requiring dialogue. Morrissey and Miley Cyrus are at a restaurant in Malibu arguing about Miley's inability to allow her vocals to appear on a Morrissey song called 'I Am Veronica'. Miley suggests that Morrissey joins Tik-Tok, orders a fish entrée and then is stunned as Morrissey runs crying to the bathroom.

[network error]

[An error occurred. Either the engine you requested does not exist or there was another issue processing your request. If this issue persists please contact us through our help center at help.openai.com.]

I don't think, from a purely legal point of view, he can release the record in it's entirety as a live one, before it was Capitol's turn.
He might well be able to if publishing and recording are separated—which I gather they often are.

Making guesses, will not solve this ‘mystery’.
In other words, we haven’t a clue.

Edit, but to believe that Capitol didn’t know
about the subject matter of the title song, back when they signed him. Is a bit loony.
We have a few clues. There's the Miley Cyrus backing complication. Didn't Morrissey mention at a show that the album was 'with the censors'? And didn't he say in recent years he doesn't have sufficient funds to take legal cases, regarding him suing Capitol? He probably knows waiting it out is inevitable, but can't resist indulging in the odd moan.

A number of music pages covered the comment today so maybe he was just aiming for a little press attention. Also, the cover picture chimes with the day that's in it.

Promotion of Bonfire by Capitol is out of the question and perhaps never on the cards. Can the fans not have a release, even without fanfare.

It’s sad to think the Miley mix up as trapped this one.

ChatGPT: 'Compose a press release in the prose style of Morrissey which complains about a global conspiracy to thwart the release of his latest album in a paranoid and irrational manner , naming 'Capitol Records' as the main suspect. Then turn the press release into a lyric for a Morrissey song.

Press Release:

Morrissey Lashes Out Against Global Conspiracy to Suppress Latest Album

Morrissey, the iconic singer and songwriter, has come out swinging against a global conspiracy that he believes is working to suppress the release of his latest album. In a recent statement, Morrissey accused Capitol Records of spearheading a nefarious campaign to thwart his artistic vision and prevent his loyal fans from hearing his latest work.

According to Morrissey, the conspiracy extends far beyond Capitol Records and involves a complex web of powerful interests that are determined to silence his voice and control the music industry. He cites a litany of examples, from executives who refuse to return his phone calls to radio stations that refuse to play his songs, as evidence of a sinister plot to keep him from reaching his audience.

"Capitol Records is the prime suspect in this heinous crime against me and my music," Morrissey declared. "But they are not acting alone. There are shadowy forces at work here, behind the scenes, pulling the strings and manipulating the system. They are determined to silence me and keep my message from the people."

Morrissey's allegations have sparked a fierce debate in the music industry, with some dismissing his claims as paranoid and unfounded, while others argue that he has been the victim of a coordinated campaign of harassment and sabotage.'

'Can you rephrase the lyrics to an Eminem rap?'

Verse 1: "Capitol Records, always on my case, Conspiring against me, tryna put me in my place, My new album, they wanna hide and delete, But I won't stay silent, I won't retreat.

Verse 2: They won't return my calls, they won't give me a chance, Radio won't play my hits, they tryna choke my advance, But I won't give up, I'll keep on pushing, My rhymes will flow, my words will keep on buzzing.

Bridge: I won't stay silent, I won't give in, My beats will drop, my flow will spin, And though they try to bring me down, I won't stop now, I'll keep on the crown.

Chorus: There's a global conspiracy, To shut me up and make me history, But I won't let them take my crown, I'll keep on rapping, taking 'em down!"

Excellent. Now I'd like this press release in the style of a movie script based on 'The Wicker Man' which ends with Morrissey being immolated on a pagan bonfire ritual whilst a choir led by Sam Smith sings his song 'Bonfire Of Teenagers'...

FADE IN:

EXT. ISOLATED ISLAND - DAY

Morrissey arrives on a secluded island in the middle of the ocean, eager to unveil his latest album to the world. He is greeted by an eerie silence and the cold gaze of the island's inhabitants.

MORRISSEY: What is this place? Why are you all staring at me?

ISLANDER: You are not welcome here, stranger. You bring with you the stench of the modern world.

Morrissey looks around, feeling increasingly uneasy.

MORRISSEY: I don't understand. I came here to share my music, to connect with people. Why are you all acting like this?

ISLANDER: We have our own ways here. Our own beliefs. And we do not welcome outsiders.

Morrissey feels a growing sense of danger, but he is determined to make his voice heard.

MORRISSEY: I won't be silenced. I won't be intimidated. I'll make sure the world hears my music.

INT. PAGAN TEMPLE - NIGHT

Morrissey is led to a pagan temple at the heart of the island. He is surrounded by robed figures and an ominous air.

MORRISSEY: What is this place? What's going on?

ISLANDER: You will see soon enough. We have a ritual to perform.

Morrissey starts to panic, but he is held down by the islanders as they begin to chant.

MORRISSEY: Let me go! What is this madness?

But it is too late. Morrissey is led to the center of the temple, where a massive bonfire is already burning. A choir, led by Sam Smith, begins to sing Morrissey's song "Bonfire of Teenagers" in a hauntingly beautiful melody.

Morrissey realizes too late that he is being set up as the sacrifice for the islanders' pagan ritual. He struggles to break free, but it is too late. The islanders push him towards the flames, and he goes up in a blaze of fire.

The choir continues to sing Morrissey's song as the islanders dance around the bonfire, celebrating their victory.

FADE TO BLACK.

THE END.

That's very evocative! Can we now have a coda scene where Morrissey delivers a speech at The Brits music awards in 2024 where he thanks himself for winning, dusmisses Taylor Swift as a music industry AI songwriter android, praises his fans for rioting outside the recent Grammy Awards and announces the release of the second installment of his 'Autobiography', quoting from his 'Bad Sex l' award for his gothic novel 'List Of The Lost'.

FADE IN:

INT. O2 ARENA - NIGHT

The Brits Music Awards are in full swing. Morrissey takes the stage, dressed in a flamboyant suit, as the audience cheers and applauds.

MORRISSEY: Thank you, thank you. I know you're all thrilled that I won this award

. And you should be. Let's face it, who else could it be? Not Taylor Swift, the AI songwriter android who's been fed a few formulas by the industry and turned into a superstar. Not Adele, who's too busy singing about her exes. It's me, Morrissey, the only artist who matters.

The audience cheers again, as Morrissey waves his hand and continues his speech.

MORRISSEY: And let me tell you, my fans are the only ones who truly understand me. Thank you for rioting outside the Grammys, for showing the world that you won't be silenced. I love you all.

The crowd roars in approval, as Morrissey takes a deep breath and smiles.

MORRISSEY: And now, the moment you've been waiting for. The release of the second installment of my autobiography. You'll be pleased to know that it's even more scandalous than the first one. I'm quoting from my 'Bad Sex l' award-winning novel 'List Of The Lost', and you won't believe what's in there.

The audience is stunned, as Morrissey grins and holds up a copy of the book.

MORRISSEY: So go ahead, buy it, read it, and be outraged. That's what I do best. Thank you and goodnight.

The crowd cheers as Morrissey exits the stage, confident and unapologetic.

FADE TO BLACK.

THE END.

Another film scene requiring dialogue. Morrissey and Miley Cyrus are at a restaurant in Malibu arguing about Miley's inability to allow her vocals to appear on a Morrissey song called 'I Am Veronica'. Miley suggests that Morrissey joins Tik-Tok, orders a fish entrée and then is stunned as Morrissey runs crying to the bathroom.

[network error]

[An error occurred. Either the engine you requested does not exist or there was another issue processing your request. If this issue persists please contact us through our help center at help.openai.com.]
LOLOLOLOLOL amazing

Verse 1:
I was was once a pure soul
But the record company took their toll
They saw the money in my voice
But they turned Sam into a puppet of their choice

Chorus:
But Sam, don't you see
The record company's the enemy
They're pushing you towards Satanism
And destroying my art with their greed and cynicism
But Sam, don't you see
But Sam, don't you see
But Sam, don't you see

Verse 2:
I used to sing from the heart
My songs are a work of art
Designed to sell, to make a hit,
But at what cost, what's the benefit?

Chorus:
But Sam, don't you see
But Sam, don't you see
But Sam, don't you see
But Sam, don't you see

Verse 3:
The devil's lurking in the shadows
As the record company's profits grow
They'll take your soul and leave you behind
As they profit from your art, leaving nothing to find

Chorus:
But Sam, don't you see
But Sam, don't you see
But Sam, don't you see
But Sam, don't you see

Outro:
Oh Sam, oh Sam, take control of your life
Don't let the record company decide
You have the power to break free
And make your music truly yours like me
Oh Sam, don't you see
Oh Sam... be like me

The lack of release is extremely offensive towards the audience of Morrissey. Capitol really is a rotten record company not caring about music fans. Sad to see

Where did Capitol state that the song BoT is their reason for not releasing the album?
Capitol still never stated that they signed Morrissey in the first place. The only person making comments about this is Morrissey, and his ex-manager.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers
Back
Top Bottom