An REM thread for r.e.m. stuff

With the recent talk of Stipes other works does anyone have the Community Trolls stuff they could share in flac please? The 4 song live set and the studio version of Tainted Obligation. Many thanks

Morrissey tribute to R.E.M.

44688_lihs_deluxe_amzn.jpg

R-4918077-1379380658-6955.jpeg.jpg

I *think* it was sometime around the release of Tourfilm I found myself becoming completely enamored with R.E.M.
I can certainly say that the Tourfilm recording of "Perfect Circle" really turned me on and the version of "World Leader Pretend" is unquestionably my favorite R.E.M. recording of all time. Not really satisfied with the "Green" deluxe edition live cd, I took it upon myself to make something of a"master edit" of their 1989-11-10 live recording at the Coliseum in Greensboro, NC

Artist: R.E.M.
Date: 1989-11-10
Venue: Greensboro Coliseum
Source: Soundboard Recording
Length: 01h 51m 34s

Setlist:
01 Stand
02 The One I Love
03 So. Central Rain (I'm Sorry)
04 Turn You Inside-Out
05 Belong
06 Exhuming McCarthy
07 Good Advices
08 Orange Crush
09 Feeling Gravity's Pull
10 Cuyahoga
11 These Days
12 World Leader Pretend
13 I Believe
14 I Remember California
15 Get Up
16 Life And How To Live It
17 It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
18 Pop Song 89
19 Fall On Me
20 You Are The Everything
21 Begin The Begin
22 King Of Birds
23 Strange
24 Low
25 Finest Worksong
26 Perfect Circle
27 After Hours

Sources:
tracks #1,2,4,9,11-15,17-22,25-27: TourFilm DVD
tracks #3,23: Live In Greensboro EP
tracks #5-8,10,16,24: Green Deluxe Edition

Transfers:
Tourfilm DVD > VIDEO_TS folder > Aimersoft DVD Ripper v2.6.2 > WAV > Adobe Audition v2017.1.1 > WAV > Audacity v2.2.2 > WAV > MediaHuman Audio Converter v1.9.6.6 > FLAC
Live In Greensboro CD > EAC > v1.0b3 > WAV > Adobe Audition v2017.1.1 > WAV > Audacity v2.2.2 > WAV > MediaHuman Audio Converter v1.9.6.6 > FLAC
Green deluxe edition CD > EAC > v1.0b3 > WAV > Adobe Audition v2017.1.1 > WAV > Audacity v2.2.2 > WAV > MediaHuman Audio Converter v1.9.6.6 > FLAC

Notes: My edit of officially released sources using "Tourfilm" as the main source and filling in with "Green" deluxe edition and "Live In Greensboro" as necessary. Missing intro to "Orange Crush", "Harpers" and "Dark Globe". Volume matching and crossfading done in Adobe Audition, track splitting done in Audacity.

This took me quite a few hours to assemble and I hope others enjoy listening to this as much as I do. If you know someone who might enjoy this, please share the link:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/29ayj9u9dd3zsnn/REM_1989-11-10.zip/file

If anyone has a good copy of the June 18 1995 show (Mansfield MA) I would be super grateful. I have a copy but it sounds like it was recorded at a weird speed--everything sounds slowed down just enough to make it bad. Thanks !

Hey all -

Throwing this out there on the long shot that anyone here might have a lead. I've been looking for the Wang Center, Boston, November 2, 1986 show for close to 25 years. I had an audience recording of it on cassette which I bought in 1990 - needless to say, it's long gone. Anyway, it's an incredible show and the peak is definitely "Life & How To Live It". Anyway, if anyone knows anything about how to get a copy, I'd be eternally grateful. Thanks!

Am I the only one who believes that Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire" is a rip off of "It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)?"

This comes courtesy of journalist and pop culture lover Whitney Matheson (remember Pop Candy?), in her newsletter:

Show report: Michael Shannon sings R.E.M.
Have you ever loved a band so much you just wanna just live inside their music? I've felt that way about R.E.M. for most of my life. Their albums -- tapes, if we're getting specific -- were the soundtrack to my algebra homework, backseat trips to Grandma's, first dates, breakups, college hijinks, low-paying day jobs and all the rest. So yeah, when I heard Michael Shannon would be part of a band performing R.E.M.'s FABLES OF THE RECONSTRUCTION from start to finish, I was in.

Shannon never disappoints onscreen -- he's usually the best part of every film he's in -- and that cool focus translates to a rock show. (His former band, Corporal, released a record in 2010.) Among those joining him onstage were Ray Rizzo, Lauren Balthrop, Pascal Balthrop, Annie Nero, Rob Heath, and Michael Quoma -- and as if that lineup weren't sweet enough, Michael Arthur's lyric-inspired drawings were projected behind the band as he sketched them.

Shannon's event-appropriate ensemble included a shirt he wrote on with a Sharpie, Stipe-style; mismatched socks and sunglasses with one lens missing. "I know it's early; I know we're all still shaking off that turkey thing," he told the 150-ish of us seated at Joe's Pub. It was barely 7 p.m.; the booze hadn't kicked in yet.

Sound-wise, each track remained blissfully true to the album, from the sax bursts on "Can't Get There From Here" to the still-astounding "Live and How to Live It," which I contend is one of the band's all-time best. And yes, Shannon can sing -- both he and Stipe have a way to make the unintelligible feel romantic -- but, maybe more importantly, he sounded like someone who had spent hours upon hours upon decades listening to this record, just like the rest of us.

"It's crazy how these things that meant so much to you, they're only a half-hour long ... like All in the Family," he joked. FABLES clocks in at just 39 minutes, which meant the show would end in time for many concertgoers to tuck their kids into bed.

During the album's final song, the banjo-sweet "Wendell Gee," Shannon roamed into the crowd, seemingly enjoying the moment as much as we were. That night I kept looking around the room, half-hoping to see Michael Stipe in disguise. But the reality was better: a father and teen son lip-synced in the front row. A woman behind me sang backup vocals on every song. A gray-haired guy strummed his fingers as if, in his mind, he were onstage playing the chords.

Though I wish this event were part of a series, it was a one-time-only kind of night. Shannon reminded us that it's been 10 years since R.E.M.'s final show. "We miss them," he said. "That's why we do things like this."

A short encore pulled in other beloved tracks: "Fall on Me," "Pilgrimage," "Near Wild Heaven." And as the band literally sang the words "living inside, living inside" over and over, we all nodded our heads and closed our eyes, happy to spend just a few more minutes in this chaotic world existing inside these perfect songs.

I wonder...

Is there any other site still forming a quasi-community and discussing R.E.M. as semi-actively as we do here, other than Facebook groups?

(And I also wonder whether Sal Kramer above IS Michael Shannon. lol)

Hi everyone! Thank you for everything that you have shared over the past of this thread. I need a little help. I am looking the promo "Live for 99X". I would love if it could be in MP3/320 bit rate.

Odd question... Does anyone know of a place online where I can find the band's liner notes for Part Lies, Part Heart... and In Time?

Actually, make this .PDFs of any of the band's liner notes from reissues, ...And I Feel Fine, etc. (I'm doing a bit of a writing assignment!)

Tags
r.e.m. rem
Back
Top Bottom