Morrissey Central "A RUSH AND A PUSH AND THE MUSIC IS OURS" (April 19, 2024)

c4409c14d2e0c1a75462b212cf1845a1d9b6d4d9.jpg

Morrissey has paid the exit fee to Capitol Records in order to return both WORLD PEACE IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS and BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS albums back to him.
"It's been a long, hard, bloody war. Few would make it out alive, and … I'm no exception," he has commented.
Morrissey remains unsigned.

1B2BFCEC-20AA-4738-B5DC-F134BF1C8207.png

Last edited by a moderator:
What did you think of the I Am Veronica clip?
The snapshot he used to promote his Las Vegas concerts?
All I will say is that my favorite version of I am Veronica during the live concerts was the one where Gustavo played some harmonica in the outtro, it added a bluesy vibe to the song (or a bit of Bruce Springsteen?). But it won’t be on the recorded version unfortunately.
Also much prefered the live version of Rebels to the recorded one which we were able to hear.
So I wish he would go back to BoT and re-record some bits, but it is highly unlikely.

why bother continuing if he didn’t think he still had something to say? Or is it as Skinny says ‘it’s all for the money’? As if he doesn’t have enough, or can’t figure out easier ways to make it.

Personally, I don’t think it’s about the lyrics as much as it’s more about singing for him now.
If true, then I have no complaints with that.
Skinny is always wrong. No, the issue is not that he thinks he’s got something to say. I’m sure he has. The issue is that he still thinks that he is this magnificent lyricist he once was. And that he’s the only one with something to say and that everyone else is insipid and dull.

Maybe that’s the case. I would respect that. But it still bothers me that his lyrics nowadays are often lazy and/or stupid. If it’s about the singing, I think he should do more cover albums.

I think he thinks that he is still the same lyricist as he was in 1994. And that he is the only one with something to say.
All very sad, really.
His better songs in recent years (Sure Enough, I Live In Oblivion) tap into everyday life. Like his best songs always have.
His political musings are just f***ing drivel. But I think he thinks he’s enlightening us all.

I have good news and bad news, the good news is that you MIGHT be able to hear BOT, the bad news is that you WILL be able to hear World Peace.

All very sad, really.
His better songs in recent years (Sure Enough, I Live In Oblivion) tap into everyday life. Like his best songs always have.
His political musings are just f***ing drivel. But I think he thinks he’s enlightening us all.
Yes, but some of them (Oblivion, Saint) feel half-baked and rushed. They could be great songs if he had spent more time on the lyrics, but he didn’t, so they’re not.
And yes, exactly. Like most with alternative political ideas, he thinks he’s enlightening us all with his nonsense. In reality, he’s losing his old fans and gaining alt-right nutters.

In reality, he’s losing his old fans and gaining alt-right nutters.
i don’t think his political views are causing him to lose fans. It’s the shit music.
As for the far right latching on to him… dim as they are, I imagine they’d latch on someone else, someone who is not a washed up gay vegetarian weirdo.

Last edited:
Morrissey says he’s bought back the rights to two albums from Capitol Records

... ‘Bonfire Of Teenagers’, meanwhile, is thought to feature guest spots from Red Hot Chili Peppers’ Chad Smith and Flea, as well as Iggy Pop. Speaking last year about the album’s turbulent path to being released, he said: “It’s been quite traumatic and quite sad because when you record something, you want it to be available immediately and it was very much of the time. For me, it was a very personal thing and the fact that it hasn’t been released has been torture.”...

why bother continuing if he didn’t think he still had something to say? Or is it as Skinny says ‘it’s all for the money’? As if he doesn’t have enough, or can’t figure out easier ways to make it.

Personally, I don’t think it’s about the lyrics as much as it’s more about singing for him now.
If true, then I have no complaints with that.
zoom skinflint has been saying its all about the money for the last ten years.

i don’t think his political views are causing him to lose fans. It’s the shit music.
As for the far right latching on to him… dim as they are, I imagine they’d latch on someone one else, someone who is not a washed up gay vegetarian weirdo.
I think it’s a combination. But the situation wouldn’t be as dire if the music wasn’t so bad.
Yes, you would think…yet here we are.

Isn’t it obvious that Morrissey’s biggest fan has always been…Morrissey?
think this was reflected in him wearing his own t-shirts,dont think this was done by anyone else before him,maybe the pistols but cant think of anyone else.

sure, but that doesn’t answer the question…
He doesn’t seem very self-reflective. He and Sam talk about Veronica as if it’s better than Gang or Charming, Kerouac’s Crack like it has some deep meaning. I think it’s obvious that he still thinks that he is the greatest of all.

He doesn’t seem very self-reflective. He and Sam talk about Veronica as if it’s better than Gang or Charming, Kerouac’s Crack like it has some deep meaning. I think it’s obvious that he still thinks that he is the greatest of all.
I think the chorus of Veronica is terribly catchy. He has a potential hit on his hands, but he’ll f*** it up and no-one will play it. Shame.

Yep. Of course it’s unlikely.

And though it’s only a studio clip we’ve heard of Veronica, I’m just saying it seems most likely that BoT the album, won’t sound only like Rebels …. fortunately or unfortunately, depending on one’s point of view.
It’s been a while since I listened to that clip, but from recollection, it sounded solid.

He doesn’t seem very self-reflective.

If you think Morrissey doesn’t seem very self-reflective, does this also mean that you don’t think he looks at his older work and makes comparisons with his recent work?

Morrissey always says that his present record is the best he’s ever made (or something along those lines). So I would take that as a positive, not letting his past work be a hindrance, to stop him from experiencing other musical, lyrical possibilities, and it seems he believes he is moving forward creatively.

So that, for me, points to the fact that he is aware, that he does make comparisons with his past and present work, and though some do label him lazy, (which as a criticism, is in itself, lazy) I believe he just doesn’t fuucking care if he’s not rewriting Hand in Glove or Now My Heart Is Full anymore, and happily not doing so.

He and Sam talk about Veronica as if it’s better than Gang or Charming, Kerouac’s Crack like it has some deep meaning. I think it’s obvious that he still thinks that he is the greatest of all.

No that’s not entirely true ….

SAM:
'I Am Veronica' is so clever, and so catchy, it sounds like your biggest chance at a worldwide hit … even more than 'First Of The Gang To Die', or 'This Charming Man'. It is better than both of those songs.

M:
I've had so much sorrow in my life recently but I listen to 'I Am Veronica' and, as frightening as this sounds, it seems to shine such a positive light and I begin to understand all the good things about my life. Now, that might sound silly, but I forget very easily that there are a few things in life that I am actually good at, and 'I Am Veronica' makes me understand why I persist, or why I do what I do. I love the song so much.

It’s Sam that thinks he’s the greatest of all, it’s Sam that’s comparing new songs to old songs and saying that he thinks they could be number one hits. Not Morrissey. Yes, he doesn’t disagree with Sam, nor does he agree.

But Morrissey does believe in his lyric, for him they seem to be a reflection of where he is now, not a reflection of who he was or how he felt in the past.

As for the far right latching on to him… dim as they are, I imagine they’d latch on someone else, someone who is not a washed up gay vegetarian weirdo.
It's the loss of radio support that's stifling album sales, not any perceived change in the quality of the music. You'll struggle to find a single person who thinks Low in High School is better than Dog on a Chain, yet it sold tens of thousands more as its lead single (Spent the Day in Bed) was a radio hit, however 'shit' we might consider it.
And it wasn't the far right (or just the right) latching onto him, it was him directly promoting them via a personal plea on his website, and the emblem he wore at his concerts.

This is superb news. Record labels should not be able to block album releases by major artists in this manner. That said, if the cause of the argument really was that the label were insisting that a guest artist’s backing vocals be removed then the best approach would have been to just remove them. Young female singers who can do backing vocals in a soul style are ten a penny.
I hope that Morrissey returns to HMV /Parlophone and unites his extensive back catalogue in one place.

All very sad, really.
I can't even get through the first few lines of I Live In Oblivion without bawling my eyes out so he's doing something right. It's just hard to listen to.

If you think Morrissey doesn’t seem very self-reflective, does this also mean that you don’t think he looks at his older work and makes comparisons with his recent work?

Morrissey always says that his present record is the best he’s ever made (or something along those lines). So I would take that as a positive, not letting his past work be a hindrance, to stop him from experiencing other musical, lyrical possibilities, and it seems he believes he is moving forward creatively.

So that, for me, points to the fact that he is aware, that he does make comparisons with his past and present work, and though some do label him lazy, (which as a criticism, is in itself, lazy) I believe he just doesn’t fuucking care if he’s not rewriting Hand in Glove or Now My Heart Is Full anymore, and happily not doing so.

No that’s not entirely true ….

SAM:
'I Am Veronica' is so clever, and so catchy, it sounds like your biggest chance at a worldwide hit … even more than 'First Of The Gang To Die', or 'This Charming Man'. It is better than both of those songs.

M:
I've had so much sorrow in my life recently but I listen to 'I Am Veronica' and, as frightening as this sounds, it seems to shine such a positive light and I begin to understand all the good things about my life. Now, that might sound silly, but I forget very easily that there are a few things in life that I am actually good at, and 'I Am Veronica' makes me understand why I persist, or why I do what I do. I love the song so much.

It’s Sam that thinks he’s the greatest of all, it’s Sam that’s comparing new songs to old songs and saying that he thinks they could be number one hits. Not Morrissey. Yes, he doesn’t disagree with Sam, nor does he agree.

But Morrissey does believe in his lyric, for him they seem to be a reflection of where he is now, not a reflection of who he was or how he felt in the past.
You’re much more positive than me. I wish I could view the world (of Moz) through your eyes.

Back
Top Bottom