What is the most underrated or unfairly criticized Morrissey single?

What is the most underrated or unfairly criticized Morrissey single?

• Ouija Board, Ouija Board

Votes: 12 14.5%
  • Our Frank

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Pregnant For The Last Time

• You're The One For Me, Fatty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hold On To Your Friends

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Interlude

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Dagenham Dave

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Sunny

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • Roy's Keen

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Redondo Beach

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Just Want To See The Boy Happy

• That's How People Grow Up

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • All You Need Is Me

• I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris

• other

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters

chrisarclark

Boycott Moz
having been listening to YOR a lot lately, ifind THPGU, AYNIM and ITMAAP really growing on me. ididnt think iwould ever say that, but the songs really benefit from the conteext of the album.

Moz has long been criticized among hardcore fans for his choice in singles- something that has for the most part confused me as ive always thought hes done a good job in his choices, save lately (and im now turning my view on that too). what would you say is the most underrated or unfairly criticized Morrissey single?

Personally, I've never understood the vitriol towards OBOB myself. I mean, it's hardly S, but as far as early singles go, I actually rate it much higher than, say, NSAM. In a similar league to ID? IYKWIM.

I've always loved his version of Redondo Beach, and I wasn't really aware it was widely criticised. Stands to reason, I suppose, but I missed that one.

Does Sunny really get criticized? It's a fantastic song, listened to it today even. Now, THPGU deserves all the shit it gets. :p

I love Ouija Board and Roy's Keen, but will pick Roy's Keen for purposes of the poll.

I could say anything off of Kill Uncle (like that version of There Is a Place...) gets unfarily criticized...and will add All The Lazy Dykes & The Father Who Must Be Killed.

I could say anything off of Kill Uncle (like that version of There Is a Place...) gets unfarily criticized...and will add All The Lazy Dykes & The Father Who Must Be Killed.

None of these are singles...

Roy's Keen is shite.

THPGU is a masterpiece in comparison...

How are you, Corrissey? :)

personally, inever understood the lukewarm reception to what is clearly one of Morrissey's greatest songs, "Hold On To Your Friends"- the music (as with every track on VAI) is beautiful and the lyric is simply brilliant.

another along these lines would be "Our Frank"- that is suchan incredible lyric. Kill Uncle is without a doubt the most underappreciated album.

ipretty well think all the songs listed hav been relatively unappreciated (and would include myself of being guilty of this) but a few standout as having been unfairly trashed:

"Ouija Board, Ouija Board" is the perfect, camp single- it likely suffered only becos it was surrounded by powerhouses sucha as "Suedehead", "Everyday Is Like Sunday", "The Last Of The Famous International Playboys" and "November Spawned A Monster". in additon to it being a great track, it's also an important one when noting the lyric "S-T-E-V-E-N".

"Pregnant For The Last Time" is a wonderful romp ofa track, cast aside by those who take it all too seriously or who take take an odd musical arrangement every nowandthen (same is happening to the gem "When I Last Spoke To Carol"). a perfect one off single.

"Dagenham Dave" pretty well got the same treatment that was generally given to Southpaw Grammar asa whole- many could never take to the new bluntness of the lyrics and music- it is a great lead single though, especially with "Nobody Loves Us" on the b-side (and no, "Nobody Loves Us" would not have made a better single).

another song that gets lambasted becos of those who take it all too seriously is "Roy's Keen"- it's sucha clever lyric, perfectly sung, and the production on it is brilliant- the outro is great. oh, and most hilarious pun since "King Leer".

finally, "Redondo Beach" ithink was much too easily dismissed. suchan interesting choice fora cover and Morrissey's vocal here is so good- the perfect boiling-hot-summer-day song.

personally, inever understood the lukewarm reception to what is clearly one of Morrissey's greatest songs, "Hold On To Your Friends"- the music (as with every track on VAI) is beautiful and the lyric is simply brilliant.

another along these lines would be "Our Frank"- that is suchan incredible lyric. Kill Uncle is without a doubt the most underappreciated album.

ipretty well think all the songs listed hav been relatively unappreciated (and would include myself of being guilty of this) but a few standout as having been unfairly trashed:

"Ouija Board, Ouija Board" is the perfect, camp single- it likely suffered only becos it was surrounded by powerhouses sucha as "Suedehead", "Everyday Is Like Sunday", "The Last Of The Famous International Playboys" and "November Spawned A Monster". in additon to it being a great track, it's also an important one when noting the lyric "S-T-E-V-E-N".

"Pregnant For The Last Time" is a wonderful romp ofa track, cast aside by those who take it all too seriously or who take take an odd musical arrangement every nowandthen (same is happening to the gem "When I Last Spoke To Carol"). a perfect one off single.

"Dagenham Dave" pretty well got the same treatment that was generally given to Southpaw Grammar asa whole- many could never take to the new bluntness of the lyrics and music- it is a great lead single though, especially with "Nobody Loves Us" on the b-side (and no, "Nobody Loves Us" would not have made a better single).

another song that gets lambasted becos of those who take it all too seriously is "Roy's Keen"- it's sucha clever lyric, perfectly sung, and the production on it is brilliant- the outro is great. oh, and most hilarious pun since "King Leer".

finally, "Redondo Beach" ithink was much too easily dismissed. suchan interesting choice fora cover and Morrissey's vocal here is so good- the perfect boiling-hot-summer-day song.

All agreeable except for the steaming ordure that is "Roy's Keen" :)

Does Sunny really get criticized?

well, ithink it's release asa single gets somehwat criticized as it's not a typical type track to be made a single. now, it wasn't really Morrissey's choice for a single either- it was a leftover from the VAI-era that EMI released it after he left to RCA for SG- so it would be unfair to make sucha criticism.

ido think the song is underrated though- overlooked by many (including even Moz it would seem).

I really like "Bengali in Platforms." :)

as i read other threads... it just seems as if people REALLY undervalue Kill Uncle!... which really puzzles me!

therefore.. i guess i'll choose Our Frank!

I really like "Bengali in Platforms." :)

so do i, but it's not a single so it really has nothing to do with this thread- thanks for comin out though.

Tags
most r pure shit
Back
Top Bottom