Noel Gallagher on "The Queen Is Dead"

It depends what Echo and the Bunnymen album you're talking about. If it's Porcupine, move on.

I was actually expecting that response as I wrote it. What I meant to say was some people go on about the Smiths albums and always compare them favourably to Morrissey albums. I find that kind of annoying, although it's often correct. Using the Queen is Dead to slag off WP is particularly annoying, especially as I feel it's his best work in ages. It's true that the Queen is Dead is a classic and when I first heard in 1989 or whatever I was blown away by I Know It's Over. However, I've heard it a lot of times. I don't really need to hear it anymore. Some of the songs aren't that great. Same with WP. Difference is WP is fresh (relatively speaking) and has a whole different sound. Some people hate it, fair enough, just don't expect me to agree with you and use Smiths albums as a stick to beat it with.

You write eloquently and you love WPINOYB. How is that even possible? You are now a member of the sycophantic apologists according to the highly intelligent arseholes.

I don't think Noel Gallagher is that interesting of a songwriter nowadays, and hasn't been for quite some time. For the past 13 years or so, Liam's been more interesting. His songs are more down to earth, heartfelt and all-in-all he seems to have more to say. Just listen to songs like Songbird, Born on a Different Cloud, I'm Outta Time, The Boy With the Blues, Start Anew, The Morning Son, For Anyone, etc etc...
I really wish Liam would release a proper solo album. With warm melancholy songs like the ones I listed. It would be brilliant.

Noel gallaghers music is a packet of shite, its either writers block or shite vocals or shite is in fashion and he has to be shite to appeal to knobhead coldplay fans who dont care in the first place there at work or drunk

I don't think Noel Gallagher is that interesting of a songwriter nowadays, and hasn't been for quite some time. For the past 13 years or so, Liam's been more interesting. His songs are more down to earth, heartfelt and all-in-all he seems to have more to say. Just listen to songs like Songbird, Born on a Different Cloud, I'm Outta Time, The Boy With the Blues, Start Anew, The Morning Son, For Anyone, etc etc...
I really wish Liam would release a proper solo album. With warm melancholy songs like the ones I listed. It would be brilliant.

i never cared for those songs. im otta time bores me to death and his john lennon trip is very predictable and not really representative in the song structures. people like different stuff and while high flying birds had its flaws it was much more interesting and heartfelt imo. liams felt cold and artificially constructed to me but to ech there own

Beady Eye have a few good songs but not many. The thing is they suck live. Liam cannot sing live for shit! Plus he's about as deep as a kiddie pool.

I know I am generalising, but it seems to be a matter of intelligence, not just delusion. If you look around here at the users who wank lyrical over WPINOYB, you'll notice their posts are so badly written that they become unreadable. It's OK as an album. C'est tout.

The brown-tongued apologists make it very hard to agree with anything they have to say as their posts are poorly constructed and repetitive. Maybe that's why they adore WPINOYB (Kiss me a lot x 25 :sleeping:)

TQID isn't comparable to WPINOYB. To borrow a word from RB, it takes a certain 'ilk' to worship World Peace... They know who they are and my god they're dull.

I respectfully disagree. First of all, music is always interpreted subjectively, so it should be expected that critiques will vary. There was a lot of positive reaction to this record initially, and those praises weren't just coming from the people whom you have labeled as "brown-tongued spologists". I'm not sure how ascribing deragatory names to anyone who has a difference of opinion elevates the conversation intellectually. I love WPINOYB; it's not my absolute favorite Morrissey record, but there are many memorable moments. Lyrically, I'd say that Forgive Someone, Istanbul, Smiler with Knife, and Drag the River exemplify his writing talent far better than Frankly Mr. Shankly, Girlfriend in a Coma, or You're the One for Me Fatty. Don't get me wrong, I love those songs, but there has always been a mix of good, great, and absolute perfection. Also, I can't think of many examples of artists who reach the height of their careers later in life, so expecting another Vauxhall or TQID is wishful thinking. Admitting that doesn't make me an apologist; it makes me a realist.

lynnda

I respectfully disagree. First of all, music is always interpreted subjectively, so it should be expected that critiques will vary. There was a lot of positive reaction to this record initially, and those praises weren't just coming from the people whom you have labeled as "brown-tongued spologists". I'm not sure how ascribing deragatory names to anyone who has a difference of opinion elevates the conversation intellectually. I love WPINOYB; it's not my absolute favorite Morrissey record, but there are many memorable moments. Lyrically, I'd say that Forgive Someone, Istanbul, Smiler with Knife, and Drag the River exemplify his writing talent far better than Frankly Mr. Shankly, Girlfriend in a Coma, or You're the One for Me Fatty. Don't get me wrong, I love those songs, but there has always been a mix of good, great, and absolute perfection. Also, I can't think of many examples of artists who reach the height of their careers later in life, so expecting another Vauxhall or TQID is wishful thinking. Admitting that doesn't make me an apologist; it makes me a realist.

lynnda

^
this :)

lynnda

I prefer WP to Vauxhall. Vauxhall is ok, but why is it so great? Spring-heeled Jim is the only exceptional song in my opinion.

Oasis? I've always hated everything they ever did and the excrement that came afterwards is just as unspeakable.

Beady Eye have a few good songs but not many. The thing is they suck live. Liam cannot sing live for shit! Plus he's about as deep as a kiddie pool.

I think you're terribly wrong regarding Liam's depth, but I can see why someone at first glance might perceive him as shallow and whatnot.

I know I am generalising, but it seems to be a matter of intelligence, not just delusion. If you look around here at the users who wank lyrical over WPINOYB, you'll notice their posts are so badly written that they become unreadable. It's OK as an album. C'est tout.

The brown-tongued apologists make it very hard to agree with anything they have to say as their posts are poorly constructed and repetitive. Maybe that's why they adore WPINOYB (Kiss me a lot x 25 :sleeping:)

TQID isn't comparable to WPINOYB. To borrow a word from RB, it takes a certain 'ilk' to worship World Peace... They know who they are and my god they're dull.

Very well said. I cannot fathom how anyone can compare Queen to World Peace, but that is not worth arguing about. I remember where I was when 9/11 happened and can still see the planes crashing into the buildings much the same I can remember my first introduction to The Smiths. It was in the living the room of a college buddy and he had TQID on his turntable (back when records were the rage). There is a Light was playing and I became a slave to The Smiths for sooooo many years. I have aged numerous lifetimes since that moment, but it always will remain with me. How can anything on World Peace compare? Is there anyone out there that can point to anything on World Peace that will move them to remember exactly where they were thirty years forward? I doubt it.

Very well said. I cannot fathom how anyone can compare Queen to World Peace, but that is not worth arguing about. I remember where I was when 9/11 happened and can still see the planes crashing into the buildings much the same I can remember my first introduction to The Smiths. It was in the living the room of a college buddy and he had TQID on his turntable (back when records were the rage). There is a Light was playing and I became a slave to The Smiths for sooooo many years. I have aged numerous lifetimes since that moment, but it always will remain with me. How can anything on World Peace compare? Is there anyone out there that can point to anything on World Peace that will move them to remember exactly where they were thirty years forward? I doubt it.

There is a slight flaw in your logic. How can the same vocalist have the same effect on you second time round? You are also older and not so impressionable. A pointless idea.

Although you and other members of the sect cannot face up to the truth, Morrissey's current output even doesn't even compare to most of his own solo work, let alone that of the Smiths.

I completely agree with this. I haven't really liked anything since ROTT. I wonder how much Moz really cares about the music that accompanies his lyrics. I think what hinders him is that he never learned to play an instrument. I get the feeling he writes the lyrics and takes what is offered to sing over. The difference is in the past he had good song writers and musicians to lean on...but all (except Boz) have left for one reason or another. Still they are gone. He constantly complains about chart position and pays absolutely no mind to creating songs that will accomplish this wish. I hope the stars align again one day soon and we get another masterpiece like TQID.

hearing egypt and ukraine in a song, even clumsily by some standards (not mine), might be remembered and moved by the people who live there in those countries now. a famous western singer of his respect talking about them in a single no less. i cant point to any other artist whos done that

There is a slight flaw in your logic. How can the same vocalist have the same effect on you second time round? You are also older and not so impressionable. A pointless idea.

It is true what you say, but that wasn't my point. I am wondering if there is a young person who had a similar moment upon hearing World Peace. The depth of the emotion of There is a Light was something that changed my life forever and for the better. Is there anything he has released recently that can match the impact of TQID? That is really what I am questioning. What I am certain of is that it will be a far less number. It may also not be a fair comparison given his age as well. His youth may be gone but he is still a good man.

It will definitely be less, Morrissey has been around for decades now and has himself changed the landscape.

It is true what you say, but that wasn't my point. I am wondering if there is a young person who had a similar moment upon hearing World Peace. The depth of the emotion of There is a Light was something that changed my life forever and for the better. Is there anything he has released recently that can match the impact of TQID? That is really what I am questioning. What I am certain of is that it will be a far less number. It may also not be a fair comparison given his age as well. His youth may be gone but he is still a good man.

But...this is just you and your opinion, your experience. You're not telling us a universal truth here. Of course there are youngsters out there getting completely shattered by WP. Just as there are youngsters getting equally shattered by MIM and TQID as well. And why not? It's art and art is/should be about feelings, personal experience and perception.

This whole discussion is meaningless and silly.

But...this is just you and your opinion, your experience. You're not telling us a universal truth here. Of course there are youngsters out there getting completely shattered by WP. Just as there are youngsters getting equally shattered by MIM and TQID as well. And why not? It's art and art is/should be about feelings, personal experience and perception.

Yes. Silly "wabbits"!

yeah your contextual experience at that time made it more emotionally heavy for you. the same is probably happening to kids hes singing about who live in those countries. it seems like some people, not you in particular, just want moz to sing about them and there lives again. im a very external person, im watching what happens in ukraine and am effected by it even here in the us. if anything a westerners perspective, mozs, makes it more relatable to me and my concern for those people in pain and how helpless we can all feel. that moved me as hes singing about things im already concerned with. i want no more sings about lonliness and relly never did. i think his changing away from that subject matter was nothing but a good thing. some dont and thats fine, theres always the smiths records

I completely agree with this. I haven't really liked anything since ROTT. I wonder how much Moz really cares about the music that accompanies his lyrics. I think what hinders him is that he never learned to play an instrument. I get the feeling he writes the lyrics and takes what is offered to sing over. The difference is in the past he had good song writers and musicians to lean on...but all (except Boz) have left for one reason or another. Still they are gone. He constantly complains about chart position and pays absolutely no mind to creating songs that will accomplish this wish. I hope the stars align again one day soon and we get another masterpiece like TQID.

It's not about the band though, because he said so himself. He is in the process of creating a new genre of music it's called 'HYP-HOC" and it's so cheesy

Benny-the-British-Butcher

yeah your contextual experience at that time made it more emotionally heavy for you. the same is probably happening to kids hes singing about who live in those countries. it seems like some people, not you in particular, just want moz to sing about them and there lives again. im a very external person, im watching what happens in ukraine and am effected by it even here in the us. if anything a westerners perspective, mozs, makes it more relatable to me and my concern for those people in pain and how helpless we can all feel. that moved me as hes singing about things im already concerned with. i want no more sings about lonliness and relly never did. i think his changing away from that subject matter was nothing but a good thing. some dont and thats fine, theres always the smiths records

This is the first time I have ever heard a Morrissey/Smiths fan say they never really wanted to hear songs about loneliness. I hope you saved your receipts.

I don't disagree that he should expand his subject matter - any artist should stretch - but some of us feel that his "worldliness" is delivered in a clumsy manner. Just name-checking oppressed nations or throwing flamenco guitar on top of some of the usual chord progressions seems self-conscious and, at times, contrived.

Back
Top Bottom