new Coldplay song, attempt at the Smiths

Maurice E

In today's 'Something for the Weekend', Chris Martin discusses new Coldplay song 'Cemetries of London'; "it's our attempt at a Smiths song".

I'm not a fan of Coldplay, but good to know Chris Martin is also a fan and attempted a tribute.

I can kind of hear it in the guitars, but then it sort of sounds more like U2. I'd say this is an interesting tune. If they weren't so popular they'd be more popular. ;)

what he said

I like it a lot.

edit: I guess the album title's no coincidence, eh

Last edited:
just to add...
I'm not a Coldplay fan at all. however, they do write some very powerful and catchy pieces of music; sadly much more so than most recent Moz stuff.
however, the lyrics are uniformly awful and the singing is just ... yuck!
but they are, by some distance, the most successful British band of the 21st century, and it's always a buzz when a Morrissey/Smiths reference crops up in mainstream culture!

I don't like that they always try and emulate my favorite bands ONE BIT.
You'd think I would, I mean, I like Oasis! I think it might be Chris Martin's face slash and or voice.

EDIT: I also don't like that Brian Eno went totally batshit and worked with them. WHY ENO WHY, I LOOOOVED YOU.

Last edited:
I can kind of hear it in the guitars, but then it sort of sounds more like U2. I'd say this is an interesting tune. If they weren't so popular they'd be more popular. ;)

All of it, true :)

Chris Martin's voice isn't great but that's oddly what I like about it :rolleyes: - there's something about it with the music that just works. A Rush of Blood to the Head is one of my all-time fave albums, I love the track Daylight. And I also really like Parachutes. I'll listen to either depending on my mood... I did buy X&Y but it didn't stick with me like the other two. I'll get their new one and I might even get tickets to see them. I like Coldplay, so sue me. :p

I had the great misfortune to enter a record store at lunchtime and whilst perusing the racks, a gelatinous sludge of sound was playing over the instore music system. Yes, it was the new Coldplay album.

Appalling....

I didn't hear any resemblance at all. Though, can't say I remember the song, just listened to the album through one time. Quite boring. Well, surprise, suprise...

Not bad. It reminded me of The Smiths/Moz...not at all. U2 definitely.

Echoing a similar sentiment of the poster above -- Coldplay would be a pretty good band if they weren't Coldplay.

if someone doesn't like the personality or singing voice of a singer, they will tend to write off the band's entire musical oeuvre.

it's hard to deny that, musically, Coldplay have written some flipping great songs. when did Moz last sing along to a piece of music as hugely uplifting as 'I will try to fix you' or as gorgeously melodic as 'the speed of sound'?

however, Martin's singing voice is ghastly and their phenomenal impact on the world's cliché reserves is only rivalled by that of Paul Weller and Primal Scream...

Back
Top Bottom