Why Maladjusted 2009 version just doesn't work

By consensus (biggest poll ever of Morrissey songs), Roy's Keen is really not a good song. It's one of his worst ever.
Voted his second worst ever, only the truly appalling Dagenham Dave is considered worse.
As others have pointed out, Lost and Edges were recorded too late for the album's release.

I love Dagenham Dave and couldn't give a shit about votes.

While I think Papa Jack is the second worst song on "Maladjusted" I dont' think it's horrible by any stretch.

hearing alma matters live was pretty cool. i didnt think hed play anything off of that album. im not a big fan of the title track so making it track one helped me out quite a bit and made maladjusted much more cohesive and listenable

"Lost" is the one track the definitely should have made Maladjusted.

There's no way that could have happened. "Lost" was recorded in sessions after the album was already completed and released.

All he did was combine Rare Tracks to Maladjusted and dismissed a few other songs from the original LP. I suppose I listen to the 2009 version more because of the continuous velvety flow that is not of the original. I love Lost, Heir Apparent, The Edges Are No Longer Parallel, and I Can Have Both. I was never dissatisfied with the original, I should say. The only song that I could never fully embrace was Papa Jack, so I am glad to see it excluded from the remaster. And it looks like I'm the only fan in the universe who actually likes Sorrow Will Come in the End!

All he did was combine Rare Tracks to Maladjusted and dismissed a few other songs from the original LP. I suppose I listen to the 2009 version more because of the continuous velvety flow that is not of the original. I love Lost, Heir Apparent, The Edges Are No Longer Parallel, and I Can Have Both. I was never dissatisfied with the original, I should say. The only song that I could never fully embrace was Papa Jack, so I am glad to see it excluded from the remaster. And it looks like I'm the only fan in the universe who actually likes Sorrow Will Come in the End!

No, I like SWCITE, too!!! I think it´s a "killer" track......"Don´t close your eyes....."

I love Dagenham Dave and couldn't give a shit about votes.

I like Roy's Keen & Dagenham Dave, they are boss tunes. It seems that the harder a track is to 'find' the more it is revered. It's all a load of bollocks.

Lyrically and sonically Morrissey's tunes vary in quality...OBVIOUSLY. Some will inevitably appeal to more than others. Some of you kids will have discovered your first pube listening to The Edges Are No Longer Parallel for the first time on Spotify 3 months ago and think it is the bees knees. I on the other hand, fondly remember slipping a length to some very tasty sisters listening to The original Maladjusted, when the songs were ACTUALLY RELEASED. The music is entwined with my being and in me, just like when I was knuckle-deep with the sisters.

It's not about scoring points.

My Dad's bigger than your dad.

I wouldn't have been too upset to see Satan Rejected My Soul left off.

this is the best re-issue he made, and I can live without "papa jack" and "roy's keen" and it's great to have remastered "trouble loves me", "maladjusted", "lost", etc

Most of Morrissey's tinkering with the reissues across the board were totally unnecessary and downright sacrilegious. Throwing tracks from totally different eras with sub par audio and writing quality amongst already gorgeous track listing makes no sense whatsoever.

The Maladjusted reissue is actually the least offensive of the bunch. Yes he removed two great songs but at least he didn't add a couple of lame demos from Southpaw to it.

The whole thing about "The way Morrissey wanted it" feels like a marketing ploy more than a genuine sentiment. The final slap in the face was it was only a CD reissue without a vinyl option to buy.

btw all the Maladjusted B sides are gorgeous!

In his own words -

Re-issue ! Re-package ! Re-package !
Re-evaluate the songs
Double-pack with a photograph
Extra Track and a tacky badge

A-list, playlist
"Please them , please them !"
"Please them !"
sadly, THIS was your life

But you could have said no
If you'd wanted to
You could have said no
If you'd wanted to

BPI, MTV, BBC
"Please them ! Please them !"
sadly this was your life

But you could have said no
If you'd wanted to
You could have walked away
...Couldn't you ?

I think he excluded both songs because of Alain's voice, of course he couldn't do it with "Maladjusted" because it's the main song in album.

Last edited:
I have been slowly collecting all his solo releases since, trying to give each one the time it deserves before venturing fourth and buying the next. I have most of the albums now (bar Southpaw and Kill Uncle, plus b-sides and rare tracks).

Please buy the original versions, rather than the recent re-issues where Morrissey has buggered around with the tracklistings. Sure there's the occasional good B side wedged in there, but the flow of the original album is completely lost. Especially on Southpaw, which is one of his strongest long players.

PS - as you are a 'newbie' I hope you've got the original version of Viva Hate, with 'Ordinary Boys' and the unedited version of 'Maudlin Street'...

Yes you think that but you'd be wrong.

We know that Moz stopped working with Alain in 2009, when this remaster was released and another example is "You Must Please Remember" , which it wasn't include in "Southpaw Grammar" remaster too.

We know that Moz stopped working with Alain in 2009, when this remaster was released and another example is "You Must Please Remember" , which it wasn't include in "Southpaw Grammar" remaster too.

Bear in mind, on the selfsame remaster, one of the first credits was: "Very special thanks to Alain Whyte and Boz Boorer." He had nothing but complimentary things to say in the liner notes. I think Roy's Keen and Papa Jack were removed at Morrissey's behest because - whatever we feel about them - he regards them as duff tunes.

Besides, if the prominent backing vocal theory held any water, surely Wide To Receive would come under the ax? He clearly holds Spencer in lower esteem than Alain.

Back
Top Bottom