Why do people need idols and what does it say about people?

A

Anonymous

In recent years I have come to think about the issue of idols and peoples need for them and why this is. I have come to the conclusion that people are bored of their own lives and themselves and need to put their own needs and longings into another person that manifest themselves in someone else. Psychology describes this but as I do not accept psychology as it is not a science that can be proved I have myself tried to analyse this phenomenon.

People will lay their whole lives in the hands of someone that is completely unknown to them. They will defend this idol whatever he or she does and will pin their own personalities onto this idol. I suspect that people like that lack something inside and in their general life that drives them to this quite insane occupation where they associate themself and their lives with this famous person.

I have come to understand a few of the reasons behind this behaviour out of some observations but mostly by analysing myself. I devoted many years of my life to this but never to the extreme but enough to realise now that it was wasted time and effort and energy. It was a way to reach out to another life and other people and an escape from myself and my inner values that were changed and formed into something else. It was nothing short of a brainwash and did not better my life as I see it now.

I feel like a victim of a mass psychosis where I was just following in the footsteps of others in search of something that was not there at all. I now feel freed from this and have managed to return to what I see as my authentic self that is not influenced by other people. Following an idol is like when people start smoking just to be with the crowd that smokes. It is about group pressure and a vain attempt to try and be cool. I would never ever recommend anyone to have an idol and I would urge younger generations to invest in themselves and the signs are good where I live cause here the young people seem totally uninterested in the famous as they wanna be famous themselves and make money and afford to keep themselves young and fit for as long as they can.

Maybe the useless generations of fan admiration will come to an end someday when people start to realise that we have to invest in ourselves and not someone else who deep down does not deserve it. We deserve ourselves and to grow as people and achieve something and to do that you cannot waste time on others.

In recent years I have come to think about the issue of idols and peoples need for them and why this is. I have come to the conclusion that people are bored of their own lives and themselves and need to put their own needs and longings into another person that manifest themselves in someone else. Psychology describes this but as I do not accept psychology as it is not a science that can be proved I have myself tried to analyse this phenomenon.

People will lay their whole lives in the hands of someone that is completely unknown to them. They will defend this idol whatever he or she does and will pin their own personalities onto this idol. I suspect that people like that lack something inside and in their general life that drives them to this quite insane occupation where they associate themself and their lives with this famous person.

I have come to understand a few of the reasons behind this behaviour out of some observations but mostly by analysing myself. I devoted many years of my life to this but never to the extreme but enough to realise now that it was wasted time and effort and energy. It was a way to reach out to another life and other people and an escape from myself and my inner values that were changed and formed into something else. It was nothing short of a brainwash and did not better my life as I see it now.

I feel like a victim of a mass psychosis where I was just following in the footsteps of others in search of something that was not there at all. I now feel freed from this and have managed to return to what I see as my authentic self that is not influenced by other people. Following an idol is like when people start smoking just to be with the crowd that smokes. It is about group pressure and a vain attempt to try and be cool. I would never ever recommend anyone to have an idol and I would urge younger generations to invest in themselves and the signs are good where I live cause here the young people seem totally uninterested in the famous as they wanna be famous themselves and make money and afford to keep themselves young and fit for as long as they can.

Maybe the useless generations of fan admiration will come to an end someday when people start to realise that we have to invest in ourselves and not someone else who deep down does not deserve it. We deserve ourselves and to grow as people and achieve something and to do that you cannot waste time on others.

Anything done to extreme is not healthy.... Having idols and people you respect as role models is healthy, as long as you don't let it consume you. You are not them, and they are not you. Perspective matters. You mention young people in your area being uninterested in celebrities as they are concentrating on themselves to become famous one day... Well, how did these young people hear about being famous, and staying young and fit? They have been washed, bathed, and scrubbed in it their whole lives. It is a cycle, a circle, not always vicious, but one that should not be taken lightly. They may not admit it, but they probably have celebrities they are inspired by (as well as, hopefully, their parents, teachers, coaches, neighbors, etc.)

There is more to life than being famous, making lots of money, and staying young and fit for as long as possible (are we talking cosmetic surgery, lipo, and botox here?) Selfishness, over-the-top self-esteem, and grandiose self-concept are not the answers. Yet, this seems to be what the young are soaking up on radio, tv, films, peers, media, and so on. Fortunately, experience, age, and self-analysis comes into play at some point...and that's how people grow up.

To answer your question, people want to belong, youth want to belong, to know that they fit in and are "normal" (whatever that may be). They seek out idols, celebrities that fit where they are at the time, mentally and physically. It is why gangs form, members come together based on (assumed) values and beliefs, but more importantly, they belong with a chosen few. It helps develop the self and self-esteem, but it can also ruin if followed blindly and/or too obsessively.

Anything done to extreme is not healthy.... Having idols and people you respect as role models is healthy, as long as you don't let it consume you. You are not them, and they are not you. Perspective matters. You mention young people in your area being uninterested in celebrities as they are concentrating on themselves to become famous one day... Well, how did these young people hear about being famous, and staying young and fit? They have been washed, bathed, and scrubbed in it their whole lives. It is a cycle, a circle, not always vicious, but one that should not be taken lightly. They may not admit it, but they probably have celebrities they are inspired by (as well as, hopefully, their parents, teachers, coaches, neighbors, etc.)

There is more to life than being famous, making lots of money, and staying young and fit for as long as possible (are we talking cosmetic surgery, lipo, and botox here?) Selfishness, over-the-top self-esteem, and grandiose self-concept are not the answers. Yet, this seems to be what the young are soaking up on radio, tv, films, peers, media, and so on. Fortunately, experience, age, and self-analysis comes into play at some point...and that's how people grow up.

To answer your question, people want to belong, youth want to belong, to know that they fit in and are "normal" (whatever that may be). They seek out idols, celebrities that fit where they are at the time, mentally and physically. It is why gangs form, members come together based on (assumed) values and beliefs, but more importantly, they belong with a chosen few. It helps develop the self and self-esteem, but it can also ruin if followed blindly and/or too obsessively.

Young ones these days that I know do not have idols cause they are too occupied with their own lives and dreams. I don't think young people take music as seriously as older generations did. I get a distinct feel that they do not wanna be changed or influenced by other people as they have their own opinions and agendas in life.

I think your whole post defends and industry based on changing people into something they were not from the start. It is sad that past generations turned to mostly drug using music artists to feel that they were normal. Those people never were or never will be good role models for anyone else unless you wanna destroy your life and your body.

Not having any idols is the way of the world now and young people simply do not have the time of day to focus on things outside of their own lives. That is for the older useless generations that mirrored themselves on something they could never become and so that answers why so many became bitter and failures in life.

I think your whole post defends and industry based on changing people into something they were not from the start. It is sad that past generations turned to mostly drug using music artists to feel that they were normal. Those people never were or never will be good role models for anyone else unless you wanna destroy your life and your body.

Know in your soul, please....

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you."
- O. Wilde
xx

Know in your soul, please....

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you."
- O. Wilde
xx

Perhaps that was true in his time but certainly not now when everything is for sale and people work hard on not having a soul at all.

Perhaps that was true in his time but certainly not now when everything is for sale and people work hard on not having a soul at all.

Everything has always been for sale. (It may have just been in a different form than what we see today.) And people have always worked hard denying others and themselves their deepest sensitivity, passion, love, fear, hope, pain, and more. At the root, we are each alone (as it should be). Yet we still crave to belong and interact (even briefly) with others. But we do have a choice to sell, buy, lead, or be led; to be true to ourselves in acknowledging that which we know to be right, or wrong...for us.

To realize that what you have been a part of is not who you are is not time wasted, but rather time well-spent. For you are now closer to being in tune with your true self. Life is happening right now. Blunder away. We all do. There is no owner's manual, but the goal is the same for all (and it is not fame, fortune, or money).

Many people do suck. Avoid them (except for brief interlubes, if one must.) But, I know, I just know, that there are some good ones still out there....xx

Well said anonymous number 2 . Love the Wilde quote !
As for anonymous number 1 feeling that the present age is so different ...... well it is .... for you . Please read a bit. All ages and times have their take on your questions . New worlds are waiting you !

As for anonymous number 1 feeling that the present age is so different ...... well it is .... for you . Please read a bit. All ages and times have their take on your questions . New worlds are waiting you !
:lbf:
yours is the only post I can see in this thread Guernie :o
so lame letting anonymous people start threads :rolleyes:
but good of you to read their crap anyways! :thumb:

Thanks.
It's the horizon view that leaves some of us flat on our backs, innit Guernie?
Some (but probably never all) in due time. One day at a time...xx

Good points.
I think idols can be good because it helps people see the possibilities out there.
I do think mentors and idols can be a positive thing and help you see a world outside of yourself. Especially if you come from a restrictive background with parents who expect you to live a closed off life.
On the other hand, as you pointed out, it can also turn into obsession. People can put someone on a pedestal and it can damage a relationship if that idol is someone you know in real life. People may not live up to the role you set out for them or may not want to.

Back
Top Bottom