who put the m in manchester(meet your meat)?

My family still eats meat but my mother will cook a lot less of it then she used to. Nowadays we eat mainly fish, pasta, and veggies. I don't get offended or grossed out if someone eats meat in front of me, because I do sometimes get people asking me when we're out dining would I mind and I don't. I DO mind when people don't respect it. I'm not saying agree with it, or do as I do, but don't lambast me for it because I don't do it to meat eaters.

My ex-boyfriend was an asshole that way. He tried to sneak bits of meat into my food, etc. and never "got it". Then again we're talking about someone who used to endlessly tease his cats and mine...

For a while this summer, I would still cook some for them, in a separate pan. Now I can't even stand to smell it. There is some turkey lunchmeat in the fridge and some chicken taco things for the kids, and that's about it. They can get it outside my house.

It's really nice not to have to worry about cross-contamination on my cutting boards and knives, and not stinking up the house with cooking flesh, and my fridge smells cleaner now.

It's strange how disgusting meat is once you step away and really realize what it is... dead things.

i saw the documentary when i bought the who put the m in manchester dvd,and to make long story short i became a vegetarian,but now i`m not sure if i did it because i wanted to or because this documentary traumatize me, well this is just my personal experience,but what you think about the documentary do you think is good or bad???

ps:i don`t want to offend morrissey or any of you guys, please don`t get me wrong,it`s just a question :)

I became a semi-veg after seeing that and countless other videos on youtube. (I only eat bird and fish now. One day I believe I will phase them out too.)
The only reason I boycott red meat is because of the torture these animals deal with. If there was a farm that garunteed their animals were raised properly and killed fast, I would buy red meat again, but ONLY through them.
I don't know if that makes me a bad semi-veg, but I am standing up for what I believe in. Humans need protien to live and animal meat is the basically the best version, but THERE IS NO NEED TO TORTURE THE ANIMALS WHILE RAISING THEM AND THEN DRAG OUT THE KILLING.

For a while this summer, I would still cook some for them, in a separate pan. Now I can't even stand to smell it. There is some turkey lunchmeat in the fridge and some chicken taco things for the kids, and that's about it. They can get it outside my house.

It's really nice not to have to worry about cross-contamination on my cutting boards and knives, and not stinking up the house with cooking flesh, and my fridge smells cleaner now.

It's strange how disgusting meat is once you step away and really realize what it is... dead things.

Oh yeah, my mom used to regularly cook chicken cutlets, steak, pork chops, etc. and now it bothers her to not only eat it but clean the meat for my dad and sister.

That's where I'm kind of weird, I'll eat a veggie burger BBQ'ed on the same grill as meat but I won't eat an actual hamburger anymore. There's something about chewing the meat, etc. that grosses me out now. LOL

Thankfully though there's so much meatfree stuff out there that still tastes like the real thing. Like I LOVE all the Morningstar Farms frozen products especially their vegetarian breakfast sausage patties. Can still get the taste I miss without feeling guilty :)

I became a semi-veg after seeing that and countless other videos on youtube. (I only eat bird and fish now. One day I believe I will phase them out too.)
The only reason I boycott red meat is because of the torture these animals deal with. If there was a farm that garunteed their animals were raised properly and killed fast, I would buy red meat again, but ONLY through them.
I don't know if that makes me a bad semi-veg, but I am standing up for what I believe in. Humans need protien to live and animal meat is the basically the best version, but THERE IS NO NEED TO TORTURE THE ANIMALS WHILE RAISING THEM AND THEN DRAG OUT THE KILLING.

It doesn't make you bad. I know a lot of people who don't eat red meat but still will eat poultry. I've given that up but I DO eat eggs and other dairy and fish, so if that's bad, I guess I'm a culprit as well. But I agree, again I don't tell people what to eat but there's certainly a humane way of going about things if they really do enjoy eating something and I don't take that away from anyone.

But I will NOT support places that are cruel to animals on purpose. Hell I would never buy Iams for my cats after hearing they tested on animals and seeing Morrissey campaign against them.

my friend watched the documentary piece and gave up meat _the next day_. to my knowledge, it wasn't even prompted by anything else. i guess it's a pretty strong message. i still haven't watched it (though i have watched the DVD countless times, hahah).

my friend watched the documentary piece and gave up meat _the next day_. to my knowledge, it wasn't even prompted by anything else. i guess it's a pretty strong message. i still haven't watched it (though i have watched the DVD countless times, hahah).

It is a pretty strong message, but they need to update the narration.
I don't have anything against Alec Baldwin but I keep waiting for him to say, "Youre a rude thoughtless little pig" when I watch the video now.

If you don't remember the voicemail he left his 12 year old daughter that leaked....here...have a laugh..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t4no6SKjjA

It is a pretty strong message, but they need to update the narration.
I don't have anything against Alec Baldwin but I keep waiting for him to say, "Youre a rude thoughtless little pig" when I watch the video now.

If you don't remember the voicemail he left his 12 year old daughter that leaked....here...have a laugh..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t4no6SKjjA

This may sound awful, but I'm guessing you don't have any children. They can be barbaric, rude, thoughtless little pigs.

But still, they should not be eaten.

I have been a vegetarian for a long time now.
I gave up meat when I was in school (can´t remember exactly) and I still think this was the best decision I have made in my whole life.

I did not give up meat because of the senseless killing of animals, I gave it up for health reasons.
Still I smoke like a chimney and I consume too much diet coke and chocalate - like I used to do in my teenager years.
However, giving up meat seemed to be easier than saying goodbye to my ciggies, my liquid black gold and my chocolatey.

Result: After a few weeks of not eating animals, there was something happening in my head.
There was a moment when I thought, oh my God, I can´t believe that I had eaten the bloody remains of small, tortured animals; that I didn´t even mind eating animals.
I know it sounds strange but it was a feeling like the brainwash stopped and it somehow felt like I was "clean" of the drug.
Suddenly I felt no longer addicted to eat animals, I felt like I could see clearly for the first time in my life and for myself I realized that it is wrong to eat animals.

However, I have watched "who put the M..." a hundred times but I have never watched "meet your meat" and I never will.
I am very proud of anyone who stands through it and I am even prouder of anyone who gives up meat.

If you stick to eating meat, then I´m fine with it, as long as long as you have a look at WHAT you eat. Here in Britain, I often see people buying "frozen" meat (frozen, defosted, frozen, defrosted and frozen again) that has blue, green and grey spots.
This is neither healthy, nor normal!
I have lived in a lot of areas and I have not found a single supermarket that manages to store chilled and especially frozen food properly.
Two weeks ago, I ruined my local supermarket´s whole ice cream range just by doing the "press test".
Result: Everything was as liquid as water. The employees didn´t care although I always take every single chance to make them aware of their mistakes. But how could they really care? Food retail is not rocket science and people working in food retail normally are not as smart as rocket scientists.

However:
So, watch "meet your meat" if you think you can, then think about whether it is really necessary for you to eat meat considering the cruelty that animals are killed with and the lack of hygiene standards during all processes of meat production, logistics, in-store storage... because you might put your health at risk.

Your decision, as always.
But please, take care!

this documentary was interesting, it was kind of disturbing but fantastically done, and so true, but i am not a vegetarian but in ones presents i will eat veg as not to distrub them.

I was vegetarian several years ago when I was dating a long-term vegetarian. After we broke up, I eventually fell off the wagon and went back to eating meat. I considered going back to being vegetarian but never fully committed until I finally watched the "Meet Your Meat" extra on the Moz DVD. (I had been wary of watching it and had put it off for a long time, probably because I knew I'd end up giving up foods I like.) I cried while watching it, kissed my cats when it was done, and have been vegetarian ever since. (And both times I went cold turkey, excuse the pun. It actually seemed easier than easing off slowly.)

After I stopped eating meat, I've lost a few pounds that I couldn't seem to lose at the gym. I feel happy about my decision and I tell people I'm doing it for ethical reasons. But it can be mildly frustrating that meat eaters always ask me WHY...I guess the majority of people have never even considered going meatless. I don't mind explaining my reasons at all, but my eating habits can turn into a whole topic of conversation in the office lunchroom. I get bombarded with stupid questions like, "What DID you eat for dinner last night?" :rolleyes:

One last thing: the first time I went vegetarian, I remember very distinct dreams about meat--specifically fried chicken! I would have the most vivid dreams of eating chicken but thinking, "noo, I'm not supposed to do this!" However, since going vegetarian this second time I have not had a single "meat" dream. I wonder if it's because I now have a more defined reason for choosing not to eat meat?

Last edited:
I cannot watch those videos. I can easily become overwhelmed with the cruelty that goes on in the world against those less helpless than ourselves. How can you look into the eyes of another living creature and not believe that they feel fear and pain? How can we be so arrogant to think that humans are the only living beings that deserve protection against cruelty? All animals and fish are sentient creatures. They have a brain, a nervous system…they feel!

I credit Morrissey for my understanding of this, but did not actually commit to a strict vegetarian lifestyle until recently. Meat is Murder was so important to me at the time, I even joined Peta. But I put my head in the sand when it came to actually committing to what I believed. And I totally agree, that we are brainwashed as a society to think it is ok or necessary. Finally after all of these years, I decided to walk the walk, and as someone mentioned I feel so liberated and healthier. It’s like a weight has been lifted. It is never too late to change.

Two cents: eat meat if you(one) wants too, but try taking some responsibility for it. Go fishing, catch a fish, cut off its head as it gasps for air, gut it, cook it(maybe), and eat it. Do the same with a chicken; these can actually be purchased(reel, rod, and hook not necessarily needed[but could be used]). Go hunting, put an animal in the sights, pull the trigger, put its brain across the ground, and process similar to above. Try applying to various other animals.
If you(one) can't do these things, probably shouldn't eat meat with a clear conscience. Eating factory farmed meat makes me think of someone who takes a shit but doesn't like the chance of shit on their hands and so would like somebody else to do the ass-wiping duties.

this thread reminds me that next month is 10 years vegan for me. I need to throw a Veganniversary party.

this thread reminds me that next month is 10 years vegan for me. I need to throw a Veganniversary party.

17.3 years for me (but lacto-ovo, not vegan). I grew up downwind of a meat-packing plant, and my best friend & I made a pact to go veg as soon as we graduated from high school. Our decision was mostly for ethical reasons, not health ones (because, really, what teenager thinks about health reasons?). I kept the pact; she didn't. Like Pregs, I lost a ton of weight in the couple of years (too much so; I got low blood pressure and fainted frequently), but over time, that weight has crept back up--so much so that I'm quite on the portly side, because, obviously, it's not just what you eat, it's how much and how much exercise you get. Ah, well, I never said that I did it for health reasons, right? I'm also married to someone who isn't a vegetarian, and am raising kids who aren't, either. And to think that my mother still thinks that this is a phase that I'm one day going to "get over". :rolleyes:

I'm very glad that you've decided to give vegetarianism a try. Even if you don't become a vegetarian for life, you can at least ease up on your meat consumption (not eating it at every meal, for example).

I saw "Meet Your Meat" once, when I took a class on the Animal Rights Movement in college. When I took the class, I had already been a vegetarian for several years...I just wanted to learn more about the movement and what I could do to help it. I must say that "Meet Your Meat" and other, similiar documentaries made me break into tears in the middle of the classroom. It hurts my heart to think that so many animals suffer this way every day, for no good reason at all.

snap, i cant get past the first 20seconds without getting VERY upset and angry.
but being a long term veggie, and knowing exactly what happens to the poor things, its not me who needs to see this vid.
as for those of you who think cattle get tortured/slower death, more than chickens etc, then you are SO wrong. :mad:

I occasionally eat fish because quite frankly i don't take things all too seriously anymore. so i am eating flesh, people die in Iraq, fires destroying homes, dumbass as president. I don't care I don't care I don't care...

LOL! This sorta reminded me of H.I.'s reasoning for why he turned to armed robberies in Raising Arizona: "I tried to stand up and fly straight, but it wasn't easy with that sumbitch Reagan in the White House. I dunno. They say he's a decent man, so maybe his advisors are confused."

But, yeah, I made the decision some years back to not worry so much, indulge more, and enjoy life. Food is too good to not indulge in, and really I'm tired of puritans telling everyone to give up every damn thing they enjoy. Life is too short.

I'm pretty speciesist about it, though. I can't get myself to enjoy pork, for example, because I regard a pig as a much higher creature than a fish or a chicken, and it's nearly like eating a dog, which is nearly cannibalism. Fish, in my judgment, aren't aware of anything at all, so whatever. For chickens, I simply ask that they be treated a lot better before they're killed. I don't respect them too much, but they shouldn't be tortured.

But I did find myself at a "nuevo Latino" restaurant last week and, confused as to what to order from the strange menu, I went ahead and asked for a big ribeye steak, when I normally stay away from red meat. I have to say it was pretty f***ing good! Savored every bite. I don't approve of the way cows are treated, but since things weren't gonna change if I had ordered something else that night, oh well, at least I had a good meal!

Fish are intelligent. They can be taught to swim a maze. I saw it on Mythbusters. They do not, however, scream when caught on a line. I should know, my grandpa used to take me fishing on the Mississip.

And, they're full of pollution these days, which is half of why I can no longer eat them, even when they're wrapped up in rice and seaweed and presented artistically with some shredded radish and an edible orchid, a dollop of wasabi, and some tender slices of ginger, and sided with a lovely big bottle of Sapporo.

I wish my family would also agree not to eat meat- it's really just so scary because I'm not sure that the meat is ever clean. Pollution, drugs, bacteria- food is recalled constantly, and even the "healthier" alternatives like fish aren't safe to eat anymore. But they each have to make that decision for themselves.

So, there's also food poisoning outbreaks involving veggie food all the time. Apparently a lot of that stuff is grown in fields where illegal aliens defecate all over the place or something. Enjoy your spinach salad.

I get my fish and poultry from higher-end stores that can tell me exactly where it comes from. And I don't eat any seafood from China, Thailand, or Asia in general. America doesn't do a good job inspecting food from Asia at our ports, and of course most of those Asian countries have zero standards. A lot of food that gets rejected at ports in the EU finds its way into the USA. They go port to port with contaminiated food until they get it in. So, next time you're craving a nice shrimp cocktail, make sure the shrimpies came from the good ole USA. :)

But, really, it's not something to get too scared about. People aren't dropping like flies over these kinds of things. As my daddy used to tell me when he was worried I was becoming a clean-freak in my childhood: "Everyone eats a peck of dirt before they die."

I don't eat meat very much anymore. I used to be a big fast-food fiend, but after not eating it for a while I feel ten times better than when I ate it.

Back
Top Bottom