Which songs featuring female backing vocals should Morrissey dig out?

Mayfly

The thread announcing Camilla Grey as new keyboardist mentioned that she can sing, so in an ideal world this might be an opportunity to bring some songs live that feature female backing vocals. Out of curiosity, I went back to his catalogue of original compositions, and found the following songs:

Ask (Kirsty Maccoll)
Interesting Drug (Kirsty Maccoll)
November spawned a monster (Mar Margaret O'Hara)
Driving your girlfriend home (Linder)
My love life (Chrissie Hynde)
Interlude (Sioux)
Sweetie pie (Kristeen Young)
That's how people grow up (Kristeen Young)
Shame is the name (Chrissie Hynde)
Earth is the loneliest planet (Kristeen Young)
Kick the bride down the aisle (Kristeen Young)
Bobby don't you think they know (Thelma Houston)
Darling I hug a pillow (Sally Chac)
I am Veronica (Miley Cyrus)

IMO, it is always a good idea to bring back NSAM, and he really should do Veronica with Camilla.

I am also a huge fan of Ask, ID, DYGH, MLL and SITN and it would make my day if I could at least hear one of them.

Interlude & Bobby are not feasible in the life setting, so they are out on that ground.

The others are songs I don't care about as compositions, not the fault of Kristeen Young.

Any opinions on this?

Always thought it was pretty funny when Alain would do his best O’Hara impersonation during November.

Nice idea for a thread @Mayfly.
Good to try and see the positives of the change in personnel.
I love the two Chrissie Hynde songs, and the harmonies on Interesting Drug are brilliant.
I don't think he's played that one since having a keyboard in the live set-up. A truly overlooked and under-rated song.

Nice idea for a thread @Mayfly.
Good to try and see the positives of the change in personnel.
I love the two Chrissie Hynde songs, and the harmonies on Interesting Drug are brilliant.
I don't think he's played that one since having a keyboard in the live set-up. A truly overlooked and under-rated song.
He didn’t play Interesting Drugs live very often, did he? And no, I am not really expecting to hear it. I am also not sure if Morrissey can still relate to the lyrics, although they still speak to me (way above to what he comes up these days) and they are still relevant today. And as you mentioned, amazing vocal harmonies.

He didn’t play Interesting Drugs live very often, did he? And no, I am not really expecting to hear it. I am also not sure if Morrissey can still relate to the lyrics, although they still speak to me (way above to what he comes up these days) and they are still relevant today. And as you mentioned, amazing vocal harmonies.
Why wouldn’t he relate to the lyrics? I would love him to play that song live.

Last edited:
But aren’t the lyrics “there are some bad people on the rise”?
Yes, he sings “ bad people on the rise”. The song always takes me back to North England from the late 80s, with its high unemployment, Thatcher’s conservative policies to force people into work and the madchester scene. I just can’t see Morrissey revisiting those days, that’s just my feeling.

Yep, it does feel like a pretty modern song, lyrically.
The music is so crisp. Love the guitar part!
BTW in the video, the words 'bad people on the right' (not rise) are scrawled on the wall.
Also, the top comment on YouTube is from one of the boys who appeared in the video!
"I was acting in this video. (I'm the lad writing on the toilet wall). We didn't know at the time how big and relevant it would become. Great day filming at Vauxhall, London with Morrissey, cast and crew."

Last edited:
Yes, he sings “ bad people on the rise”.
That's what it sounds like to me. However, I have heard him sing 'right' sometimes at gigs, so I think it's one of those ones he changes depending on his mood. It's not out of the question that we'd get 'There are some bad people on the Loony Left' at this point.

Back
Top Bottom