when is a promo not a promo?

I need advice please. I purchased this item from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320160228216
& I got a stock German copy on WEA, nothing about the disc says promo nor Israel, there is a typed piece of paper stuck on the front of the case but it's something I could have done myself. I've emailed the seller to say I felt I'd been mislead with the sale but he tells me he's sold lots of these & I'm the 1st to complain & therefore is only prepared to refund the cost of the cd not the postage etc, oh & only once I've sent the cd back to him! What should I do?

love

Grim

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I am not sure when a promo is a promo, but such stickers are quite common nowadays. Morrissey promo's for for instance first of the gang were used with stickers in the various European countries as you may know. So if this was used in Israel to promote a Smiths cd with the word "Morrissey" on the sticker, I dont know. Anyway I would stay far away from a seller with such a user name.....

Well, "promo" falls into several categories.

Here in the US we frequently have "gold stamped" promos, which is the regular commercial release with a stamp on the front of the sleeve (lp and cd) that says something like it must be returned on demand, etc.

In the UK they will sometimes take a commercial single, and adhere promotional stickers to the jewel case or back insert, with info about its release and how to contact their PR person.

Then there are full-blown promos, which have a specific promo serial number (VHPRO1, 12POPDJ1622, etc). I believe unless stated otherwise, only these should be advertised as promos, without further explanation that the "promo" is just a stock disc with promo sticker.

Then there are promos, with a promo serial number, but they mimic the appearance of the commercial release, sans bar code, and sometimes less tracks (in the case of commercial singles vs. promo singles which usually just have an lp and edit versions).

You've received a stock disc with a promo sticker. $9 still ain't bad, though. The Hebrew sticker is interesting.

I need advice please. I purchased this item from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320160228216
& I got a stock German copy on WEA, nothing about the disc says promo nor Israel, there is a typed piece of paper stuck on the front of the case but it's something I could have done myself. I've emailed the seller to say I felt I'd been mislead with the sale but he tells me he's sold lots of these & I'm the 1st to complain & therefore is only prepared to refund the cost of the cd not the postage etc, oh & only once I've sent the cd back to him! What should I do?

love

Grim

He is absolutely right in that no refund is issued until item is sent back. It may very well be a promo that is legit. It may simply not look like what you want it to. The picture was very clear as to what it looks like. Whats the final deal on it though?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
He is absolutely right in that no refund is issued until item is sent back. It may very well be a promo that is legit. It may simply not look like what you want it to. The picture was very clear as to what it looks like. Whats the final deal on it though?

Buzzetta looking at that picture including the description can you please tell me what you think it is?

I've got it here in front of me, I'll post pics of it, if you want?

As to the final deal I guess it's negative feedbacks & I've got another spare copy of TCM!

love

Grim

Grim,

it all depends on what the sticker says... I can't ready hebrew, so I can't help you there.

If the sticker says something like "this is the new single by Morrissey's old band" and all cd-singles sold in Israel are like that, then this is not a promo and the seller misled you. But if it's info intended for a DJ and only cds sent to radio are like this, then it's an Israeli promo.

But between you and me it looks more like the former.

Stephane

Buzzetta looking at that picture including the description can you please tell me what you think it is?

I've got it here in front of me, I'll post pics of it, if you want?

As to the final deal I guess it's negative feedbacks & I've got another spare copy of TCM!

love

Grim

Sorry for getting back so late to this Grim... I was going to respond during my off period at work then was sidetracked and forgot to get back to it.
I do not know the field of promo cds enough to comment. I meant what it said... It is strictly a CD with a hebrew typed label attached to it. It is clear as to what it is.

This is a case of clearly seeing what it is and only the educated can acsertain what it truly is. For example I can spot certain fakes within other areas of eBay that I avoid. Would you buy an autographed Babe Ruth on a Bud Selig Commissioner baseball? I know I wouldn't since the Bambino died about 60 years before the current commissioner.

In genreal eBay comes down to knowing what you are buying and it depends on how it was advertised and also if the dealer intentionally misled the buyers or you did not read carefully enough.

what about the disc itself ? is there any annotation on the disc itself that backs up the "promo" claim ?

the sellers name is "i.sharted" which to me is rather amusing
but also a red flag to the mentality of said seller

there is an israeli on here somewhere so i would put an sos out to him to try and read it

the package is from Israel, so I've no doubt that the sticker is in Israeli my beef is that it was advertised as an Israeli promo, if I replace the case or even pulled the wee sticker (that I could have typed up) off then it would be a stock German copy. If it had been advertised as a German copy (inc barcode) with an Israeli sticker on the case I wouldn't have made a fuss!

Anyway I've heard nowt off the seller since there 1st reply, so I've got myself another wea copy of TCM.

love

Grim

sorted

the seller has paid me back, so fair does. They've also told me to keep the disc because of the costs to return it, which is decent of them. I will give the money to the Salford Lads Club.

love

Grim

Back
Top Bottom