UK midweeks: Skull top 30, SG top 40 (Entered 46 & 63)

Yep, I do. To wit;

Squeezing; 4,586
Southpaw Grammar; 2,537
Maladjusted (number 103 in album chart); 1,658

Are those numbers accurate?!?

"Southpaw" and "Maladjusted" sold a combined 4100 copies?

So basically he wrote a couple of short essays for, what, a few thousand pounds? It's a good return when you think of it that way. :)

Are those numbers accurate?!?

"Southpaw" and "Maladjusted" sold a combined 4100 copies?

So basically he wrote a couple of short essays for, what, a few thousand pounds? It's a good return when you think of it that way. :)

Are they accurate? The cheek!
Plucked from the current 'Music Week'.
It also notes that Morrissey's now had the same number of singles as his age, and that only "Hold On To..." has fared worse than 'Squeezing' in the singles chart.

Are they accurate? The cheek!
Plucked from the current 'Music Week'.
It also notes that Morrissey's now had the same number of singles as his age, and that only "Hold On To..." has fared worse than 'Squeezing' in the singles chart.

Do you think we can blame his poor sales on the global recession? :confused:

I'm really depressed about this.

I think you attribute too much power to Morrissey. The record company paid for the studio time for the album. Therefore they will be the ones in possession of any tapes from those sessions. Morrissey has no way of holding back releases or sabotaging anything.

I do not know how this works, let me state that upfront; however Morrissey is able to eliminate existing tracks from albums, change cover artwork, and have corresponding (or close enough) release dates for multiple re-issued albums and a CD-Single - but has limited power?

No one has yet to proffer a plausible explanation why team Morrissey was able to finish production on the unreleased "SG" songs but could not do similar you "YOR" b-sides. We are left with Jerry Finn has past. Yes, clearly his passing is terrible, a bright mind cut down in his youth, but "Years of Refusal" was due out in September 2008 according to True-to-You. It was then pushed back six months. During which time, apparently Morrissey's limited resources went towards the production of "Southpaw Grammar." An odd choice, as Morrissey keeps saying "...now is my time time."

Finally, "Southpaw Grammar" is amazing. The new album is utterly brilliant. A corresponding single like "Fantastic Bird" with some lovely b-sides of "The Boy Racer" and "You Must Please Remember" would have been fantastic and dawn some attention to the this gem. I used to think "Spouthpaw Grammar" was a middling to low solo album. it is now in the Top Four. Lyrics with actual meaning, a real rocking album album, not the faux pop crap, i.e. "Years of Refusal." I'd love to see what Morrissey could do with with "Kill Uncle!"

Do you think we can blame his poor sales on the global recession? :confused:

I'm really depressed about this.

I think you could explain the poor sales of the reissues to the the lack of media attention. "Southpaw Grammar" is largely a brand new album and worth all the promotion and attention the first did not garner. "Maladjusted" suffers from the fact the unlike "Southpaw" our protagonist is now removing songs and creating his own revisionist history.

As for "Skull," clearly a terrific single with dreadful b-sides. My conspiracy antenna already points to a replay of the end of the original "Southpaw Grammar." Why waste valuable record promotional monies on as artist who seems ready to fly away?

Last edited:
Curiously, and this is just anecdotal and not factual, it seemed that the Southpaw/Maladjusted re-issues were more readily available than the single was.
I saw, and can still see, copies of the reissues in most music stores but only saw a few places stocking the single (mostly HMV's in London) - but curiously '...Skull' fared better sales wise. Weird, just who was buying what?

Can any blame be laid at the feet of the digital release? '...Skull' as a single with B-sides did not appear on iTunes until the Monday after the first week charting. Seems an odd way to promote something.
Fingers crossed in the future the single will appear on iTunes the same day, or at least the same week, as the physical release? Might attract some more casual buyers, no?

A lot. See: 1991-1992 "Kill Uncle" World Tour. :o

I think it could make a very attractive album. The rockabilly production of "There's a Place in Hell" from the Johnny Carson show alone demonstrated just how potent the material could be (in the right hands). What were the b-sides for "Kill Uncle?" I remember buying the b-side with "Journalist's Who Lie." Wonderful song title, but sadly I don't think I ever listened to it again.

Back
Top Bottom