The Smiths San Remo 1987. Any footage of this specific performance?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by butley, Aug 26, 2019.

1. butley

butley Active Member

It was clearly the San Remo Festival in 1987 but there is no footage anywhere online of The Smiths in this garb. There is footage of the Festival but with different staging and outfits.

Attached Files:

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

LOL

San Remo is where swedish football commentator Jesper Hussfelt goes as often as he can dressed in typical San Remo fashion.

A real connoisseur when it comes to italian football and he once had a jacuzzi in his living room.

[​IMG]

Don't let me ruin yet another thread so carry on now boys and girls.

3. Famous when dead

Famous when dead Vulgarian Moderator

Ask was filmed 3 times (with Morrissey changing outfits from black to white - hence your image) and 4 other songs were mimed also.
    If you watch both main YT clips I think you see everything minus the 2 extra recordings of Ask and There Is A Light...

Which is here:

Better quality version of the broadcast Ask:

I don't think I've seen the full 'gig' that was broadcast - only the YT bits/San Remo special. They got good use out of the white jacket images thereafter though (even if not shown on TV).
    Why they filmed Ask 3 times is a bit confusing - IIRC, they were promoting Shoplifters... at the time. Anyone?
    Regards,
    FWD.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have read a comment from someone who was there that the picture was taken during a rehearsal/sound check.

5. bhops

bhops Last of the famous international screw ups.

They had a sound check for a show that was entirely mimed??? :guitar::brows:

6. butley

butley Active Member

So it was probably for a camera rehearsal? Thanks for the information. Now all,I need to know is why they recorded two versions of Stretch Out and Wait?

7. Famous when dead

At San. Remo!?
    Regards,
    FWD.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do you think they mimed without sound as well?

9. bhops

bhops Last of the famous international screw ups.

Yeah, a couple of warm ups in front of the mirror would've done it. By all accounts Morrissey was drunk anyways.

10. AnonymousX

AnonymousX Guest

Probably more in general? Though I agree that this question is a bit confusing in this thread. That being said I would like to know the answer myself.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well, they have some good wine there!

12. Famous when dead

I don't think there's much to it other than after 2 years of the 12" B-side version existing, someone decided one of the other takes (with the extra part) should go on The World Won't Listen as a nice addition to make it a bit more unique.
    Regards,
    FWD.