The most under-rated Mozz song?

Not so much recent but the song 'Maladjusted' has some brilliant lyrics and i really like its dark sound...

I very much agree with that! It seems that most of his "Rock" trcks are passed over in favor of his more melodic stuff. But give me Maladjusted, Billy Budd, and Do Your Best and Don't Worry!!

Just a short list of many:

Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning
Whatever Happens, I Love You
A Swallow on My Neck
You Must Please Remember
Maladjusted
Wide to Receive
I Can Have Both
This is Not Your Country
Teenage Dad on His Estate
Good Looking Man About Town

Maladjusted is definetely one. It has a very different approach than almost anything else Moz has come up with. The lyrics contain vital information in putting together the younger years of Morrissey. Nothing less than a masterpiece. I think that this would be noticed in very different light if the rest of the album could compare with it's quality.

Also Good Looking Man About Town should have been on Ringleader. It's a nice composition, like lighter version of a Muse song.

Yes I Am Blind, He Knows I'd Love To See Him, Picadilly Palare...
To Me You Are A Work Of Art...
I Like You...
Spring Heeled Jim...
King Leer...
Mexico...

off the top of my head.

Maladjusted is definetely one. It has a very different approach than almost anything else Moz has come up with. The lyrics contain vital information in putting together the younger years of Morrissey. Nothing less than a masterpiece. I think that this would be noticed in very different light if the rest of the album could compare with it's quality.

Also Good Looking Man About Town should have been on Ringleader. It's a nice composition, like lighter version of a Muse song.

But Maladjusted actually did pretty well in the poll of all 235 Moz/Smiths songs. http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?p=772612
It made the top 100 unlike every song off the Ringleader sessions bar Pigsty.
So not really under-rated!

Look at the songs that did badly in that poll. Those are the under-rated ones if, indeed, you think they're any good. My vote would go for the sublime Christian Dior and the musical masterpice that is 'This is not your country'...

Also, He Cried is a hugely under-rated song. Gorgeous chorus, great use of a brass section in the middle 8. Lovely backing vocals. What the heck's it doing at number 220?!

Maladjusted

Not too recent, but I think "Girl Least Likely To" is one of the best things he's done as a solo artist. I'm helplessly addicted to it.

My top 3 (with the position they achieved in the poll)

1. Christian Dior (197...197?! :mad:)
2. The Edges Are No Longer Parallel (135)
3. Alma Matters (126)

I think "Have-A-Go Merchant" is one of his most underrated songs. It even features a memorable riff by Alain.

It's always the song I turn to when I put on the Boxers EP. I just wish it wasn't so overshadowed by the other two songs.

But Maladjusted actually did pretty well in the poll of all 235 Moz/Smiths songs. http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?p=772612
It made the top 100 unlike every song off the Ringleader sessions bar Pigsty.
So not really under-rated!

Look at the songs that did badly in that poll. Those are the under-rated ones if, indeed, you think they're any good. My vote would go for the sublime Christian Dior and the musical masterpice that is 'This is not your country'...

Damn. I forgot the poll ever existed. Of course I was only offering my own notion that Maladjusted as a song is under-rated. I stand corrected.

I would think recent would have to be from You Are The Quarry on.

It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small
America Is Not The World
My Dearest Love

Southpaw, has to be one of my all time favourite Morrissey songs.

But this poll isn't about favourites, it's about under-rated songs.
Southpaw, like Maladjusted, easily made it into the top 100 Moz/Smiths songs so hard to argue that it's under-rated.
Sheesh!

My top 3 (with the position they achieved in the poll)

1. Christian Dior (197...197?! :mad:)
2. The Edges Are No Longer Parallel (135)
3. Alma Matters (126)

Great list, Duchie. I'd agree with all three.
Christian Dior is a truly wonderful song. Great music, brilliant lyrics (especially for a modern-day Moz song) and a really lovely arrangement.
How the heck it came 197th has to be one of the greatest mysteries of the modern age...

Back
Top Bottom