tell us about the last Film you saw

994C54BD-BD25-4774-BAC9-FDA50A4744A9.jpeg

Watched Bomb City this afternoon. Based on a true story of the hate crime murder of Brian Deneke in Amarillo, Texas. Animosity between Punks and Preps reaches a boiling point and during a brawl, Deneke is run over by a Cadillac and killed. The city gets divided by intolerance of the affluent towards those who are different and the outcome of the trial that sees the 17 year old football star driving the car get off with just probation. Not a perfect film but a solid one, especially for first time director Jameson Brooks. I found the final minutes what have stuck with me the most and YouTube has that sequence so here it is (this spoils nothing by the way):

And here’s the trailer:

View attachment 46479
Watched Bomb City this afternoon. Based on a true story of the hate crime murder of Brian Deneke in Amarillo, Texas. Animosity between Punks and Preps reaches a boiling point and during a brawl, Deneke is run over by a Cadillac and killed. The city gets divided by intolerance of the affluent towards those who are different and the outcome of the trial that sees the 17 year old football star driving the car get off with just probation. Not a perfect film but a solid one, especially for first time director Jameson Brooks. I found the final minutes what have stuck with me the most and YouTube has that sequence so here it is (this spoils nothing by the way):

And here’s the trailer:

Thanks for the review. Known about this film for far too long but somehow never got to watch it but I definitely will and might even save it for Xmas.
Preps into violence must have been a sight for sore eyes and so against what preps should stand for but perhaps the european ones have more manners?

Thanks for the review. Known about this film for far too long but somehow never got to watch it but I definitely will and might even save it for Xmas.
Preps into violence must have been a sight for sore eyes and so against what preps should stand for but perhaps the european ones have more manners?
It would not be a heartwarming Christmas movie, though I bet you’re not thinking it would be. Most of the time is spent showing “Punks are people, too,” kind of stuff. But there are some scenes looking at the Prep culture. The Preps were all guys on a (American) football high school team together. Youth football in Texas is like a religion. People are truly crazed. So these kids, from the wealthiest, most influential families had grown up extraordinarily privledged. Football players sometimes are compared to gladiators with the physicality of the bashing into each other and the tackles. The film gives glimpses of this culture.

The Punks aren’t innocent in escalation between the two groups. They do their share, too. But it was easy for me to be sympathetic with them as I recognized people from my own music scene in the movie. They were provoked and they chose the go to the final fight. That said, Deneke was clearly murdered and it was in no way his fault or deserved.

It would not be a heartwarming Christmas movie, though I bet you’re not thinking it would be. Most of the time is spent showing “Punks are people, too,” kind of stuff. But there are some scenes looking at the Prep culture. The Preps were all guys on a (American) football high school team together. Youth football in Texas is like a religion. People are truly crazed. So these kids, from the wealthiest, most influential families had grown up extraordinarily privledged. Football players sometimes are compared to gladiators with the physicality of the bashing into each other and the tackles. The film gives glimpses of this culture.

The Punks aren’t innocent in escalation between the two groups. They do their share, too. But it was easy for me to be sympathetic with them as I recognized people from my own music scene in the movie. They were provoked and they chose the go to the final fight. That said, Deneke was clearly murdered and it was in no way his fault or deserved.

Right, so you call jocks preps not to be confused with preppy?

I would never watch any kind of movie with a xmas theme at xmas itself as that is not my thing unless it is Bergman of course.

I guess for our generations it is true we were all punks at one stage. An old work colleague of mine is still touring with his punk band all over Sweden cause the genre is having a bit of a revival now.

I need to make a xmas movie folder and start planning what to watch over the holidays but this fall and early winter has been really poor when it comes to movies as tv series rule big time.

Right, so you call jocks preps not to be confused with preppy?

I would never watch any kind of movie with a xmas theme at xmas itself as that is not my thing unless it is Bergman of course.

I guess for our generations it is true we were all punks at one stage. An old work colleague of mine is still touring with his punk band all over Sweden cause the genre is having a bit of a revival now.

I need to make a xmas movie folder and start planning what to watch over the holidays but this fall and early winter has been really poor when it comes to movies as tv series rule big time.
Jocks is probably a better term. I’m trying to remember where I picked up Preps. (It is short for Preppy.) Don’t remember if they used it in the film or it it was on some of the reviews or news articles I read afterwards. It’s the same group, either way, in this instance. And yes, many of us were Punks. I certainly was.

Jocks is probably a better term. I’m trying to remember where I picked up Preps. (It is short for Preppy.) Don’t remember if they used it in the film or it it was on some of the reviews or news articles I read afterwards. It’s the same group, either way, in this instance. And yes, many of us were Punks. I certainly was.
Jocks as preps or preppy does not make any sense to me. But then again the european version was probably a lot different from the american one.
I was in my early teens during the big great swedish punk era so I cannot say I was a punk pro or anything but I sure liked the music and rude lyrics. I don't think people from outside of Sweden realise exactly how hateful and explicit some of the swedish punk lyrics were.
Even the band names was more than enough to give old people a stroke.

Jocks as preps or preppy does not make any sense to me. But then again the european version was probably a lot different from the american one.
I was in my early teens during the big great swedish punk era so I cannot say I was a punk pro or anything but I sure liked the music and rude lyrics. I don't think people from outside of Sweden realise exactly how hateful and explicit some of the swedish punk lyrics were.
Even the band names was more than enough to give old people a stroke.
They’re not mutually exclusive. It’s a Venn diagram situation as there can be some overlap. Probably do mean somewhat different things in different places.

MV5BNjYzYWRlZmEtNTQzZC00ZmE2LThjNzAtMDY3ZmNmYmJiMjBlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODAzODU1NDQ@._V1_.jpg

A norwegian quake drama set in Oslo and I had no idea about their earthquake problems and the massive one way back in time. Feels like an american drama and very well made and entertaining and Pernilla loves her disaster movies for some reason.

equalizer2.jpg

Simply fantastic like anything Denzel does and it is rare that a sequel is this good but it is all down to the man himself.

MV5BMTkxNjA0MjMzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTM2NzczNTM@._V1_.jpg

Nicholas Cage has started to feature in B-movies to take back some cash he lost on bad investments and terrible taste in interior design. He plays the same character in every movie and cannot act for his life and I cannot for the life of me understand how this guy was able to make this many movies.
He's turned himself into a cliche' and the difference between him and Denzel Washington is that Denzel lived a real life with real struggles whereas Cage has not lived a real life a single day which comes across in the acting.
I simply refuse to watch any movies he feature in from now on. We were unable to finish this movie. If Denzel is compassion Cage is greed. I bet Cage smells like a dollar bill after it was rolled up to snort coke with.

george lucas's first feature- thx 1138 (1971)
it's an okay movie in that genre, nothing groundbreaking here, but also not uninteresting. i didnt experience an emotional explosion.

a future technocracy in which numbed human beings are fully controlled workers and consumers. minimalist sterility and highly automized efficiency are the prime directive. everyone is bald. thx and luh are appartment partners, sex is forbidden, psychotropic drugs are compulsory by law. it's definitely not the world the hippies were dreaming about. the problem starts when luh meddles around with thx's drugs so that he starts to have unusual feelings. they fall in love, etc.
as i said, i wasnt moved by the film. it's not even thought-provoking. why? maybe bc it describes the way we live today, when every day is like a sterile monday, with the only difference that we are allowed to let our hair grow and our surroundings dont look like the interiors of a hospital or mental clinic which i thought was way too unrealistic to be tempting. the characters remain uninteresting with or without drugs.

When I was in high school, they used to herd everyone into the auditorium and have us spend the day watching movies. Apparently the teachers couldn’t stand us one minute more. At any rate, a couple times they showed this movie. And as a result of being forced to watch it, I’ve never had a desire to see it again. But maybe that’s not true cause they also made us watch A Shot in the Dark and I love that movie and have watched many more times.

When I was in high school, they used to herd everyone into the auditorium and have us spend the day watching movies. Apparently the teachers couldn’t stand us one minute more. At any rate, a couple times they showed this movie. And as a result of being forced to watch it, I’ve never had a desire to see it again. But maybe that’s not true cause they also made us watch A Shot in the Dark and I love that movie and have watched many more times.

But it's all part of life's rich pageant, you know?

I see. Very perceptive of you to know that’s all on the No Go list without ever really considering it. Your instincts are amazing!

I don’t like George Lucas and I don’t particularly care much for science fiction, so it was pretty obvious it was a No Go. And with those lists...ugh...don’t get me started. People find value in movies I can’t stand and I don’t need some 20 year old fool telling me that ‘Lord of the Rings’ or the ‘Shawshank Redemption’ are better films than ‘The Godfather’ or ‘M’.

I don’t like George Lucas and I don’t particularly care much for science fiction, so it was pretty obvious it was a No Go. And with those lists...ugh...don’t get me started. People find value in movies I can’t stand and I don’t need some 20 year old fool telling me that ‘Lord of the Rings’ or the ‘Shawshank Redemption’ are better films than ‘The Godfather’ or ‘M’.
You’re decisive. I think that’s good. Either you like something or you don’t. Not a lot of middle ground. You know what works for you and you’re happy to advise anyone who will listen. My dream job is to be Consultant to the World. I’d like to tell everyone how to do everything. Not just for me mind you, it will make the world better for everyone.

You’re decisive. I think that’s good. Either you like something or you don’t. Not a lot of middle ground. You know what works for you and you’re happy to advise anyone who will listen. My dream job is to be Consultant to the World. I’d like to tell everyone how to do everything. Not just for me mind you, it will make the world better for everyone.

First order of business to take care of if you secure that position?

First order of business to take care of if you secure that position?
That’s an easy one. I want to make all cars capable of being bumper cars so that when I have a dumbass driving in front of me, I can ram the f*** out of them to get them out of my way. It’s going to feel sooooo good. Finally! You’ll enjoy that, too, I bet.

That’s an easy one. I want to make all cars capable of being bumper cars so that when I have a dumbass driving in front of me, I can ram the f*** out of them to get them out of my way. It’s going to feel sooooo good. Finally! You’ll enjoy that, too, I bet.

I’ve always thought more about having a disintegration laser beam to just turn them to ash and take their spot. Good choice though...very good.

I’ve always thought more about having a disintegration laser beam to just turn them to ash and take their spot. Good choice though...very good.
I like the laser beam idea. It’s cleaner and ensures you won’t get repeat offenders. There is a certain satisfaction that I expect comes from ramming someone off the road though. What would your first act be if you could choose?

I like the laser beam idea. It’s cleaner and ensures you won’t get repeat offenders. There is a certain satisfaction that I expect comes from ramming someone off the road though. What would your first act be if you could choose?

I’d make everyone in the world give me a dollar.

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom