Sweetie Pie

C

Cosmic Dancer

He's gonna commit suicide because he has fallen in love [I'm ending my life. Because I've fallen in love] and that love is unrequited, painful and excruciating.
So he tells him/her they're gonna meet wherever we go when we die whenever he/she dies. [And will be there to meet you when it's your time] And once there, their souls will meet and be corresponded.
He only lives for him/her but he/she doesn't love him back and doesn't know he exists but he still depends on him/her to make him happy, since he/she is the only reason he's alive and the pain is so bad he can't take it [And enough is enough.]

Is my interpretation correct? And what is your interpretation?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are on the right track. It's certainly one of his most desperate lyrics. In 'I know its over' there is a similar concern about a love that never really happened, although 'Sweetie pie' is slightly different as it's in present tense.
I really like this song and think it's undervalued by most fans. It shows Morrissey at his bleakest, yet there is an almost spiritual yearning that transcends the darkness somehow (as all Morrissey's best work does).

Yes, I think that sounds correct as well. The vocal distortion and heavy sound effects on the official release add an almost dream-like or other-worldly feel to the song - as if it's a message from the other side. I think this is why the original 'clean' version was edited so much.

I've always read it as the narrator asking someone to help him end his life in order that he can be with his love on the other side. The two of them, united, will then meet him when it's his time to die.
Whatever. It's a fantastic piece of work. Forget the Mikey V. Farrel Redux version {too MOR}. There only is one true version ~ the original b-side release.
Some clever swine once praised it as "Emily Bronte via Brian Eno" ;)

Back
Top Bottom