"Southpaw Grammar" removed from the BMG/RCA, Sony Legacy (re-issue) catalogues

The latest from true-to-you.net:

Southpaw Grammar
10 January 2012

As of March 1st 2011, "Southpaw Grammar" was removed from the BMG/RCA catalogue, and removed from the Sony Legacy catalogue (re-issue), and will no longer be issued or sold by either company.
The CD remains available on the original 1995 Reprise US pressing only.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: "Southpaw Grammar" removed from the BMG/RCA, Sony Legacy (re-issue) cata

"Anyroad, since this was an attempt to go heavier because of Grunge, I guess that will also be the reason for his rockabilly phase as yes, anyone without a bit of fifties rock and roll was just going to disappear in the nineties."

It was a glam rockabilly album. It didn't have any association with grunge. It was still heavily melodic, and moderate in its production. In fact, Boz said that it was a recorded live with little studio effect. Southpaw was less melodic, and much heavier.

"Yes, Morrissey is that contrived."

The Sanctuary email pretty much proves it.

"As for the title, the front cover and the faux-scars... I won't insult your inteligen... oh sod it, I will... it's a homage to pugilism."

I never invoked the cover art. It has nothing to do with the audio production. Anyway, yes, the cover was an ode to boxing because Morrissey was dating his bodyguard at the time, and he was into boxing. Since the break-up, he couldn't care less. Morrissey is one of those girlfriends who pretends to like sports because you seem so excited about it.

"Moreover, a rather British take on it. Now, correct me if I'm wrong - rather educate me if I'm wrong - but I'm not quite sure that fits in with your no doubt watertight theory about Mr S. P Morrissey attempting to follow on from where the young upstarts of Washington State left off."

You're being far too literal. Morrissey is still Morrissey. He doesn't have to perfectly ape the grunge sound for someone to note that the production during that era essentially demanded a heavier sound. If we are to get technical about it, the album came across as a really bad attempt at a progressive rock, but the industry standard for sound also played a role, in terms of direction. Maladjusted, while more melodic, suffered from the same muddy guitar sound that defined the radio culture of the time.

Morrissey's best work came while the Post-New wave era was still kicking. When grunge came along, it meant less melody, and more "rock." This sound influenced the culture long after Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

Re: Article: "Southpaw Grammar" removed from the BMG/RCA, Sony Legacy (re-issue) cata

this can only be good news.
Southpaw Grammar is Morrissey's worst ever album by quite a margin.
a crap attempt at grunge five years after grunge was vaguely original/interesting, with some of the worst lyrics he's ever written.
it's the only Morrissey album that doesn't contain a single brilliant song.

surely kill uncle worst album -
joey barton used to be a tweetboy

"Anyroad, since this was an attempt to go heavier because of Grunge, I guess that will also be the reason for his rockabilly phase as yes, anyone without a bit of fifties rock and roll was just going to disappear in the nineties."

It was a glam rockabilly album. It didn't have any association with grunge. It was still heavily melodic, and moderate in its production. In fact, Boz said that it was a recorded live with little studio effect. Southpaw was less melodic, and much heavier.

"Yes, Morrissey is that contrived."

The Sanctuary email pretty much proves it.

"As for the title, the front cover and the faux-scars... I won't insult your inteligen... oh sod it, I will... it's a homage to pugilism."

I never invoked the cover art. It has nothing to do with the audio production. Anyway, yes, the cover was an ode to boxing because Morrissey was dating his bodyguard at the time, and he was into boxing. Since the break-up, he couldn't care less. Morrissey is one of those girlfriends who pretends to like sports because you seem so excited about it.

"Moreover, a rather British take on it. Now, correct me if I'm wrong - rather educate me if I'm wrong - but I'm not quite sure that fits in with your no doubt watertight theory about Mr S. P Morrissey attempting to follow on from where the young upstarts of Washington State left off."

You're being far too literal. Morrissey is still Morrissey. He doesn't have to perfectly ape the grunge sound for someone to note that the production during that era essentially demanded a heavier sound. If we are to get technical about it, the album came across as a really bad attempt at a progressive rock, but the industry standard for sound also played a role, in terms of direction. Maladjusted, while more melodic, suffered from the same muddy guitar sound that defined the radio culture of the time.

Morrissey's best work came while the Post-New wave era was still kicking. When grunge came along, it meant less melody, and more "rock." This sound influenced the culture long after Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

Dito all of the above ....Grunge influenced the band on Your Arsenal.

Dito all of the above ....Grunge influenced the band on Your Arsenal.

Name ONE song on "Your Arsenal" that was influenced by grunge. Influenced by rockabilly? Absolutely. Informed by glam rock? Surely. But grunge? Bollocks. Your concept of "grunge" apparently aligns with one of those styles. Unless you're telling me that We'll Let You Know, Seasick, Yet Still Docked, and I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday should be considered grunge, retroactively.

Yah I remember I was at Barnes and Noble looking at cds and "Best Friend on the Payroll" was playing and I'm like thinking to myself, "this sounds like Morrissey". I go look at the Morrissey section and there is Southpaw Grammar. I was like dumbfounded. I had ZERO clue whatsoever that a new album was coming out. It was just there all of a sudden.

Name ONE song on "Your Arsenal" that was influenced by grunge. Influenced by rockabilly? Absolutely. Informed by glam rock? Surely. But grunge? Bollocks. Your concept of "grunge" apparently aligns with one of those styles. Unless you're telling me that We'll Let You Know, Seasick, Yet Still Docked, and I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday should be considered grunge, retroactively.

Daah...Yes its a Glam Rock album...Spencer Cobrin had stated in an interview ............a long long time ago.............The band was listening to Grunge while on American Tour before making Your Arsenal..thats all....sweet.:lbf:

:mad: This is dreadful news. "Southpaw" is a jewel. I feel this album was poorly promoted in the United States. I live very near Chicago, and I truly recall almost no promotion for this outstanding record whatsoever. What are your recollections? "Southpaw" is daring and ambitious, and Morrissey succeeded in realising an outstanding vision for fans and fans-to-be as well.
thought u'dpassed

:(

How much would someone pay for the original uk 1995 pressing on vinyl of the album southpaw grammar, from looking on the internet they range up to £178 for near mint condition, I have one I am willing to sell, it is mint condition, it has never been played, everything is in brilliant condition, only tonight I unwrapped it to look at the picture booklet.

Back
Top Bottom