"Southpaw Grammar" removed from the BMG/RCA, Sony Legacy (re-issue) catalogues

The latest from true-to-you.net:

Southpaw Grammar
10 January 2012

As of March 1st 2011, "Southpaw Grammar" was removed from the BMG/RCA catalogue, and removed from the Sony Legacy catalogue (re-issue), and will no longer be issued or sold by either company.
The CD remains available on the original 1995 Reprise US pressing only.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: "Southpaw Grammar" removed from the BMG/RCA, Sony Legacy (re-issue) cata

Maladjusted is the worst thing Morrissey has ever done.

Southpaw is an under appreciated gem and the original Lads' highwater mark.

Re: Article: "Southpaw Grammar" removed from the BMG/RCA, Sony Legacy (re-issue) cata

Reality Check: Maladjusted is like tied with Ringleader of the tormentors, Morrissey,you are the quarry, Years of refusal and Swords. The music proves this. And I know, mmmhmmm.I know what Tom meant in the comments. Thing is comment number 130 is amongst the missing. And I shall never sleep again
The celebrity is afraid of the fan. I hear voices. We are the Same.

It's a very uneven album and certainly one of his weaker, but the title track and Reader Meet Author alone makes it an obligatory purchase, in my opinion. Plus, there are some good tracks added on the reissue. A pity that it becomes unavailable on CD, although the music is still available in other formats.

Kill Uncle is, by a large margin, the worst thing Morrissey has ever done. Closely followed by Ringleader. Maladjusted, despite it's many weak moments, isn't even close. It has the best song of his solo career on it (the title track), for one thing.

and nothing of value was lost

The fan sites of other artistes could well benefit from your critical and analytical powers. You would do us all a favour if you took your patronage elsewhere.

Now I need a pint.

Kill Uncle is, by a large margin, the worst thing Morrissey has ever done. Closely followed by Ringleader. Maladjusted, despite it's many weak moments, isn't even close. It has the best song of his solo career on it (the title track), for one thing.

Agreed 100%, Qvist. Although my favourite song of his solo career is "Trouble Loves Me" :love:

Southpaw Grammar: evidently the most polarising album in the canon of His Mozness

Indeed.

But I am right and those who disagree are wrong.

And I say Southpaw Grammar is a masterpiece.

Reader Meet Author and The Boy Racer makes Southpaw Grammar a worth while listen. That's about it. Yet, Southpaw makes Morrisseys top ten favorites. O.K. Probably such a shift from past styles that makes it memorable. The cuts and bruises and band aids thing must have been grunge U. K. style.

Why does this matter? It's still available on iTunes, and it's not like the CD packaging for Southpaw (an album I admire) was anything to write home about. "Out of print" doesn't mean what it used to in music, or what it still does in books. This is the same 1980s thinking that refuses to release music with a large audience because "a grown-up label" hasn't called. Come on.

It matters because it means it will no longer be available to buy as new anywhere. There will never be another batch of these CDs. It will not be reprinted or re-issued. Hold on to your copy.

"Just as day fades into night does de-listing follow listing" - Confewshush :straightface:

Reader Meet Author and The Boy Racer makes Southpaw Grammar a worth while listen. That's about it. Yet, Southpaw makes Morrisseys top ten favorites. O.K. Probably such a shift from past styles that makes it memorable. The cuts and bruises and band aids thing must have been grunge U. K. style.

Oh this has just made me laugh.

It has nothing to do with Grunge.

Please, find out what that period of Morrissey's career was about before you come out with nonsense about "Grunge U.K".

Morrissey's Southpaw Grammar was a lazy attempt to remain current during the post-grunge era. The eruption of grunge led to a restructuring of the music business, almost overnight.

If you didn't beef up your sound for this new phase, then you were pretty much ignored.

It was obvious that Southpaw Grammar was an attempt to be relevant in a heavy, crunch-laden music business.

Anyone who would argue that the album was not an attempt at a mainstream post-grunge sound, needs an education. I know it stings some of you that Morrissey could be so contrived, but he's always been contrived. Have you seen the Sanctuary email? Morrissey comes across as a music executive talking on his cell-phone while wearing a track suit.

Anyone who would argue that the album was not an attempt at a mainstream post-grunge sound, needs an education.

Oh the irony!

Anyroad, since this was an attempt to go heavier because of Grunge, I guess that will also be the reason for his rockabilly phase as yes, anyone without a bit of fifties rock and roll was just going to disappear in the nineties.

Yes, Morrissey is that contrived.

As for the title, the front cover and the faux-scars... I won't insult your inteligen... oh sod it, I will... it's a homage to pugilism. Moreover, a rather British take on it. Now, correct me if I'm wrong - rather educate me if I'm wrong - but I'm not quite sure that fits in with your no doubt watertight theory about Mr S. P Morrissey attempting to follow on from where the young upstarts of Washington State left off.

Just to give us another laugh... let's have that one again...

Anyone who would argue that the album was not an attempt at a mainstream post-grunge sound, needs an education.

:D

Although I appreciated the new tracks (especially the beautiful You should have been nice to me), the revised order made the album almost unlistenable. In any case, the drum intro length on The Operation will always be a childish error, which made the listening to album all the more difficult for music lovers; noise is not music.

The Operation will always be a childish error... blah blah drone moan

Nonsense.

It's absolutely fantastic... listen to it loud. A masterstroke, even.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom