reunion hint?

A

Anonymous

Hello

Not posted here before but thought you guys might like this. I've just returned from Japan where I was visiting a client. I was travelling alone and you can feel very lonely as a westerner in the far east. Anyway, one of the few home comforts I found over there was a Japanese English language newspaper which featured an interview with Morrissey!

I meant to bring the paper back with me and was going to post the full interview here but left it in my hotel room! Having read it, numerous times during my stay, there was one exchange that stood out.

I can't remember the exact wording but it went a little like this:

Interviewer: Will the Smiths reunite?

Moz: I don't know, I hear it was a very messy break up

Interviewer: How about you and Jonny Marr? think the fans would like to see it?

Moz: they saw it, it happened and they were there.

interviewer: but there is a whole new generation who haven't?

Moz: Well if it does happen then it will be strictly for under 25s.

Interviewer: so it might happen?

Moz: I don't think anyone wants it. do they?

Interviewer: I'm sure the fans do?

Moz: And that's exactly why we musn't. Any sort of reunion would be tantamount to selling car insurance.

Interviewer: So it's unlikely?

Moz; As unlikely as the founder of punk selling you tubs of butter. so you can never say never.

It would be great to get some confirmation for this - if true it'sone of his strongest statements on the issue

Dave

prod_296_19819.gif

IF this is real when morrissey said:

"I don't think anyone wants it. do they?"

I wish the interviewer had said

"Johnny does, have you seen his recent interviews and heard his recent music?"

Hello

Not posted here before but thought you guys might like this. I've just returned from Japan where I was visiting a client. I was travelling alone and you can feel very lonely as a westerner in the far east. Anyway, one of the few home comforts I found over there was a Japanese English language newspaper which featured an interview with Morrissey!

I meant to bring the paper back with me and was going to post the full interview here but left it in my hotel room! Having read it, numerous times during my stay, there was one exchange that stood out.

I can't remember the exact wording but it went a little like this:

Interviewer: Will the Smiths reunite?

Moz: I don't know, I hear it was a very messy break up

Interviewer: How about you and Jonny Marr? think the fans would like to see it?

Moz: they saw it, it happened and they were there.

interviewer: but there is a whole new generation who haven't?

Moz: Well if it does happen then it will be strictly for under 25s.

Interviewer: so it might happen?

Moz: I don't think anyone wants it. do they?

Interviewer: I'm sure the fans do?

Moz: And that's exactly why we musn't. Any sort of reunion would be tantamount to selling car insurance.

Interviewer: So it's unlikely?

Moz; As unlikely as the founder of punk selling you tubs of butter. so you can never say never.

For some reason I'm willing to trust this. Moz has always given blanket, non-negotiable responses to Smiths reunion questions but the issue with Marr is much less cut-and-dried, and this response seems to align with his previous comments on the subject. He seems very reluctant to give a direct answer, one way or the other. In a radio interview last summer he was asked about Marr and gave almost the same response - a reunion would be seen as selling out, the fans/critics would like it for five minutes and then tear it limb from limb etc. The interviewer said "Do you think it [a Marr reunion] would tarnish the Smiths legacy?" and he didn't even give a straight answer to that - just some discussion about how perfect the union had been first time round. Sometimes it seems like Moz is listing reasons a reunion wouldn't work out to convince himself against it - which in itself should be evidence that he's obviously considered the damn thing once or twice. In 1998 he said a Marr reunion would require 2 things; a rekindling of personal chemistry between he and Johnny, and an album's worth of strong new material. After hearing "European Me", I think it's still possible.

"If The Smiths reformed I wouldn't want to play unless there was a great album up front before anything else. There would be no point simply going on stage and singing the old stuff. Because although I think a lot of people would want to hear it, I just don't think it's the right thing to do. So a Smiths reunion would have to be a very private thing between Johnny and I, and we would have to know that there are at least 15 great songs. Otherwise, there's no point."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom