Period of grace for new members

Danny

How about a trial period for new members. They can post as much as they want, they just can't start new threads for a while.

It might stop the tendency for trolls to register just in order to start inflammatory threads to wind people up. Something we've had quite a bit of lately. It's probably just a couple of people doing it anyway. Anything to make their lives more difficult?

It's a good idea.
Especially after having difficulty to log on over the weekend, many of us feel something has to be done to stop those pranksters.

But new members being able to start a new thread has nothing to do with Moz-Solo being down :(
I enjoy this site because there is so much liberty, please don't make a My Chemical Romance Forum :)mad:) out of it! (They get on my nerves badly...)

It's a good idea.
Especially after having difficulty to log on over the weekend, many of us feel something has to be done to stop those pranksters.

As far as I know, the board was down because of trolls in the chatroom, not because of new users posting on the forum. I'm also a little worried because of all the trolls that recently appeared here, though I think that the best thing to do is just to ignore them and not to post on the threads that they start.

As far as I know, the board was down because of trolls in the chatroom, not because of new users posting on the forum. I'm also a little worried because of all the trolls that recently appeared here, though I think that the best thing to do is just to ignore them and not to post on the threads that they start.

Some people don't seem to be able to follow that rationality though. They carry on arguing with them. I've even seen some posters encouraging the trolls and egging them on, as long as the trolls are having a go at someone they obviously don't like. It's a bit like bullying in my opinion.

How about a trial period for new members. They can post as much as they want, they just can't start new threads for a while.

It might stop the tendency for trolls to register just in order to start inflammatory threads to wind people up. Something we've had quite a bit of lately. It's probably just a couple of people doing it anyway. Anything to make their lives more difficult?

Please help me out here.

I thought that anyone could post "as much as they wanted" anyway, + start any threads they like. Are new members 'informed' what they can/can't do? I don't seem to recall anything - is that because I post from an easily-identifiable and 'legitimate' address?

Sorry for the ignorance, but could someone tell me what the definition of a troll is (is it pretending to be what/who you are not?), how the name came about, and (if not too technical) how is it decided who's trolling?

To my mind the issue of "trolls" is a bit of a non-starter. Its pretty obvious from their posts the agenda they are working towards. Ignore them with all the contempt the deserve. They will get bored with zero replies and hopefully troll-off somewhere else.
Legitimate threads which are critical of Sir Moz are fine and this is probably the best forum to discuss such issue - for example the last tour's playlist, Mozza circa '06 vs pat years etc. Just don't give these idiots the attention they so obviously crave.

Sorry for the ignorance, but could someone tell me what the definition of a troll is (is it pretending to be what/who you are not?), how the name came about, and (if not too technical) how is it decided who's trolling?

From Wikipedia:

In Internet terminology, a troll is usually someone who enters an established community such as an online discussion forum, and posts inflammatory, rude, repetitive, offensive, off-topic or otherwise disruptive messages designed intentionally to annoy, stimulate or antagonize the existing members or alter the flow of discussion, including the personal attack of calling others trolls e.g. Mr. Seven and Leicester Lantern. Often, trolls assume multiple aliases, or sock puppets.

You're talking about me aren't you.

I'm not Broken you know.

To be honest, just for future reference, you come over as sounding ever so slightly milk monitor-ish here.

It's as if you're saying "Teacher, TEACHER! There's some bigger boys who don't share my opinion over there. Could you stop them from having their say please..... Thanks! Here's an apple".

(The) Milk Monitors is a great name for a band though.

"I Want Milk by the Milk Monitors enters the charts at number 3 this week!"

No way! It would shoot straight to number 1!

But seriously, don't a lot of people end up creating an account, just because they want to ask a specific question? It would be annoying for someone who just wants details on a coming show or something.

Back
Top Bottom