Mozarmy: "All About Andy" event lineup revealed (April 7, 2024)

FB_IMG_1712509556636.jpg
FB_IMG_1712509559111.jpg
FB_IMG_1712509561402.jpg
FB_IMG_1712509563421.jpg
FB_IMG_1712509565758.jpg
FB_IMG_1712509567834.jpg
FB_IMG_1712509570104.jpg
FB_IMG_1712509572157.jpg

ALL ABOUT ANDY OFFICIAL LINE UP ANNOUNCEMENT
Official line up for #AllAboutAndy Andy Rourke on 17/18 May 2024 The Star and Garter will include the specially curated "ROURKE" band: ANDREW PARESI (drums for Morrissey), EZRA MARTIN (bass) JUSTIN PARSONS (guitar) & JOHN KAPP (guitar) featuring on FRIDAY: STEPHEN HOLT (Inspiral Carpets), JOHN ROBB (The Membranes,) KEELEY MOSS (Keeley) and JENNY DRAG (The Priscillas). "ROURKE" will play a varied catalogue of Andy Rourke from The Smiths to Morrissey to Sinead O'Connor, Kirsty MacColl and Sandie Shaw. A full flavour of straight up Smiths classics will be performed by The SMITHS UTD who will be joined by SIMON WOLSTENCROFT (drums, The Fall) for a few numbers in their set. Andy's brothers, CHRIS and PHIL ROURKE will join Julie for an in-conversation between the two band sets. Topping of Friday is DJ RUSTY SPANNER spinning until 3am. SATURDAY: "ROURKE" featuring BADLY DRAWN BOY, KEELEY MOSS and JENNY DRAG plus another Smiths set by THE SMITHS UTD. The Saturday in-conversation with Julie will be MIKE JOYCE (The Smiths), again between the bands. Raffle tickets will be available to buy with a number of signed goodies from our various guests up for grabs and some cracking tshirts from our good friend Marc (shop.thesmiths.cat) owner of 'The Smiths In Posts'. PLUS (if we can pull this off... a star prize cardboard cut out of THE FOUR SMITHS). Raffle drawn at midnight on Saturday by... a special guest! Taking us out tonight will be DJs LOUD AND CLEAR, Manchester's finest duo. The weekend is bulging with legends who will pay a fitting tribute to the bass player that shaped the music of our lives. We are thrilled to welcome them, and more excitedly you, to The Star and Garter.
Andy Martin and Ian Strawboss, our dear friends and stars of the Garter, will be remembered with love. This will be Julie Hamill's final year hosting this global-local party.
Tickets here:
in aid of The Christie Charity.
Doors 8pm. Don't be late.
Photo of Andy taken outside the BBC by Jo Cooper 🥰

SATURDAY BUS TOUR
The Manchester Music Tour bus tickets are available for Saturday afternoon, midday, departing at The Star and Garter. Be there 11.45am to take a double decker bus around Manchester visiting Salford Lads Club, Southern Cemetery, The Iron Bridge, 384 Kings Road, Strangeways and many other iconic Smiths-influenced locations. Tickets here: https://aloud.seetickets.com/event/mozarmy-2024-it-s-all-about-andy/star-and-garter/2965521

(Event information reposted from FB as non-sharable, FWD).

Related item:

Julie via FB:

So many people to thank. But first a bit of background. When Andy Rourke passed away, like many people I was really very sad, for his poor family, brothers and his wife, but also for those of us who loved him and his remarkable contribution to The Smiths. We had nowhere to share in the grief and pay respects & say thank you. So my plan then became how to make an event all about Andy, for us. I wanted his catalogue of bass work to be represented. For me personally I wanted to do something unique, special and different just for him, so I threw my heart and soul into it. I began by calling on Simon Wolstencroft to connect me to Phil Rourke, Andy’s brother, to ask for his family blessing, which he gave. Had he said no, I would not have done it. I booked the one year anniversary weekend with my much missed pal Andy Martin. With that I assembled a frankly unbelievable band - Andrew Paresi, Ezra Martin, Justin D. Parsons and John Kapp. Over multiple NYC zooms and calls and WhatsApps we put together a dream setlist and they rocketed into learning the songs. My brief remained for it to shine completely on Andy, so we drilled into his bass work together and Ezra (who knew Andy too, as did Justin) pummelled out a delivery that was such if you closed your eyes it could have been Andy moving his fingers. I named the band “Rourke” in Andy’s honor and the project started moving but we didn’t have a singer. I dashed about London going to gigs to see if there were any gals I could poach to join us. I wanted to hand pick a female for the front because I just felt in my bones that it was the right thing. I had the vision, I knew it would work and I could see it clearly. And then I found her - Keeley Moss - and I knew instantly it had to be her. She’s a huge Smiths fan. I heard her work, saw her excellent gig (I love her songs) and charmed her into the project, then she joined. Very close to the warm up gig in January I pulled in Jen Brown O'Drag - she rocked up to do BVs but we all agreed she should have songs on lead, and so Jen took Unloveable, Sinead and Sandie and blew us away. I mean goosebumps. Rourke gig in Jan was great and allowed us to work out kinks, drop and improve. The lads started calling me Julie McLaren or Malcolm McHamill (we all work really well together - it’s a joy) and I pushed everybody to rehearse and learn, maybe too far sometimes, correcting any tiny this n that, in the run up, I think I was probably insufferable (‘Reggie then Ronnie’/‘Two blacks and a strange’/‘That’s too fast/too slow’/‘somebody is out’) but they kindly put up with it (or were too scared to tell me). Justin and John’s guitars never sounded better and they had every song licked into shape, each playing to their own style and flair. I loved to see it. They’re really professional in their work ethic. I am really proud of them. And Ezra is some kind of bass savant. The left hand is genius. I need to just tell you that the Rourke band had just two rehearsals together in London before they played the gig. Two. That’s incredible talent right there folks.
In the background I was assembling more guests. The Smiths Utd came in and agreed to open both nights (which they did brilliantly) and their set was orchestrated so that all the good songs could be shared between the two bands and there would be no repetition. Justin from Smiths Utd was a pleasure to work with. I will def see these guys again. More lovely collaboration all around. Everyone just wanted to do well by Andy. John Robb and I had a couple of phone calls about him ‘punking the F’ out of Panic. Oh man, did he. At the rehearsal I thought ‘he’s going to walk in here, sing one song and steal it.’ John was supposed to do ‘London’ as well, which he would have rocked, but he didn’t have time to learn it. I rushed our Keeley into the side room. We went through the lyrics together and boom, she knew it, delivered it, and it was one of my faves of hers. Keeley also appeared at the front beside me two minutes before she sang Sheila with Smiths Utd. Jacket and handbag still on, she ripped them off, swigged Andrew’s water then threw herself up there and the energy flew up ten notches. Legend.

I asked the established ‘star’ singers to please not try to sing like Moz, to do their own spin, and it was fantastic to hear John Robb rip into it and Keeley Irish it right up. Jen creeped it Siouxsie style 🖤
Stephen Holt Samuels came on board weeks beforehand. I’m a great admirer of his and his frontmanship in the Inspiral Carpets. The truth is I really like how he’s so into what he does. He’s a great dancer too, but his command is unique and his there is a light was one of my absolute highlights. Funky Si took to the drums with smiths utd and looked to be in his element. I love watching Si play, the way he locks into a rhythm. We had a wee moment when he looked up from the drums. His Andy stories were beautiful. I love that he spoke. The in-conversations were emotional. Endless phone calls with Mike Joyce and Phil/Chris Rourke really paid off. When it came to it I felt so honoured to talk to the three of them. None of it was lost on me. Having their trust meant the world. Mike Joyce, I mean, come on, he was “in the smiths…”

I simply cannot say enough good things about Andrew Paresi. I massively love his drumming. He is supreme in the fills. I can recognise a Paresi flair in seconds. But aside from that, he’s the funniest person I know. We really click. And he loved Andy. He had great stories too. Andrew is a dream friend that I admire greatly as a human. It was emotional for him to play this event. And me. He belongs behind the drums. So naturally when Keeley’s drummer left, I slotted him right into her band, and history was made as these two plus the bass player made new magic. Thrilling.

Back to Andy. Over one of the zooms with the lads I said ‘who do you really want to play with from the Andy history’ and Ezra said ‘Badly Drawn Boy’. I set about asking Damon in Twitter DMs as we already followed each other and he said yes immediately. Like, wow ok careful what you wish for. Forward to rehearsal and I’m standing in front of his face barking out words and actions for him to learn his two songs. ‘World! Now Queen! Now wait, now lying in bed!’ We had a good laugh. He had a few bits of There is a light to learn, and at the rehearsal there had been one mistake he kept making, it was only tiny but he’s a perfectionist, and again we went over it. There’s a bit in one of these videos of the night when he turns and smiles at me because he gets it right. I loved that. People wanted everything to be right for Andy. Everyone really cared. As it was, Damon’s Andy stories were quite beautiful. His playing was exquisite and his voice was melty. I ran to Danny Marsh to get Damon his fruit juice before he went on. He was ready to go. (If I darted past you I wasn’t being rude I promise!) In between I had to cut Matt doing Devil but Matt was sublime about it. Then I filled while James tour mgr sorted Damon’s guitar pedals. I then introduced Damon and he came up and said ‘I thought you were doing Devil first!’ 🤣

Saturday (during the day) I nipped on Rose’s bus tour to see Conor McLoughlin who was fantastic. I then nipped back for soundcheck/rehearsal. I also pulled in Steven Staff from Frankly the Smiths last min, who was fabulous.

All these legends came together for Andy, but the biggest legend of all was my sister Louise who put up with me not eating, not sleeping, being a pain… living off adrenaline that almost broke me. Louise is the queen of support, she listens and without her I don’t think I could have done it. I put so much emphasis into getting this one right to do well by Andy and I knew it was my last. I wanted people to walk into the room and feel something. The backdrop and T-shirts and photos were beautiful, thanks Scott Cooper and Jojo Coops.

George Allen is doing a meet next year, with Chris who was fantastic with the raffle in his Louise training 🤩 I can’t wait to see what they plan and I promise not to be like Alex Ferguson when David Moyes came in. I will be there in the crowd dancing and laughing with everyone else.

Things people asked me:
- did you ask Johnny Marr?
Yes I did, multiple emails and tweets. He didn’t want to come and that’s okay.
- Did Morrissey know about it?
Yes. Morrissey has known every foot of every decision and booking I’ve made over the years. (He knows, he knows).
I asked Rowetta. She wanted to do it but was going to be away. She was gutted as was I.
Andy Barnett came this year which was really beautiful and special too. The DJs finished the evening with glorious sets. Thanks to Hannah and Loud and Clear.
I’m off now to write another book and get back to my ten jobs. As you can imagine I’ve been a bit distracted. This is without doubt the most beautiful celebration of a life that shaped mine. I will never forget #AllAboutAndy, not ever.

Thanks must go to
Ezra Martin
Andrew Paresi
Justin D. Parsons
John Kapp
Keeley Moss
Jen Brown O'Drag
Damon Gough
Stephen Holt Samuels
Steven Staff
John Robb
Matt Raistrick
Chris Neale
Justin Atkinson
Andy Gibson (he made that drum skin!)
Simon Wolstencroft
George Allen
Chris Forrester
Louise Hamill, my beautiful sister
Stephen Wright (what a prize!)
Mike Joyce
Phil & Chris Rourke
Zak the sound engineer (fantastic)
Danny Marsh - amazing
Gary Lavery
Ian Strawboss
Andy Andy Plc Martin
Marc smith Capella (donated all the Smiths t-shirts)
Hannah Patricia Saunders
Daniel Cooke
Andy Barnett
Jo Cooper
Scott Cooper
Rose Gill xxxx
Shaun O’Donnell

What a team. Watch these videos. Lots of love. Thank you Andy.

Andy is now buried in southern cemetery. A headstone is being made and it will be a public place for people to visit and pay their respects. Mike Joyce is having a mural painted in Manchester. More details soon.

He may have died, but it’s still #AllAboutAndy.

FB_IMG_1716329477861.jpg
FB_IMG_1716329475107.jpg
FB_IMG_1716329470323.jpg
FB_IMG_1716329466145.jpg
FB_IMG_1716329458067.jpg
FB_IMG_1716329460673.jpg
FB_IMG_1716329463176.jpg

FB_IMG_1716329482359.jpg

My grandmother refused to go to any funerals, after those of her parents and that of my grandfather. All three of which I remember and also attended. She said it’s too late to cry about someone after they’ve died, and that funerals are just for the people who are left behind. All true, of course.

No funerals for her ever again after that, she was true to her word ever after. But she was NOT too lazy at the age of NINETY 😳 to put on a pair of HIGH HEELS 😳, and to go clippety clopping her way ALL BY HERSELF 😳 to JAIL 😳😳😳, where she demanded to see this idiot being held and where she stood in front of him at the age of 90 in her HIGH high heels and in her bright fuchsia lipstick and ripped him a new I-won’t-even-say-what, for breaking into her cellar and for drinking as much of her wine as it took for him to pass out right there.

So know thy grandparents, and you’ll know EXACTLY what kind of genetic material you come from!! That’s what I say! Lol!!!!!

Looks like they did a beautiful job for Andy, truly, but… he’ll never know.

Undoubtedly it would have meant a lot to his family, and to everyone who knew him and held him dear. It’s important for people to be able to continue to celebrate loved ones even after they’re gone. A lot of times, we don’t do it nearly as much as we should, or anywhere near as well as we’d like.

Hopefully people can use celebrations and love to try to drown out a bit of the sadness. As that’s one thing that seems to never dwindle in stockpiles.

I'm sorry but there are at least two people attending whom I cannot bear to listen to (not Mike Joyce but I'm sure some of you will be able to guess who I mean).
I find this all a bit suspect, in all honesty.
Andy was all but ignored by all and sundry and left to fend for himself since the court case and I include Marr in that. I absolutely support anything to celebrate his life but this doesn't feel right. I genuinely hope that I am wrong.
Come on, spit it out. Who are the two people you're referring to?

As for fending for himself, Rourke was a talented musician who made his living from music. Nobody owed him a living - he went out and did it himself, as we all must do. He did have financial problems in the 80s and 90s but so do lots of people. He got through it.

He and Johnny were very close friends.

Looks like they did a beautiful job for Andy, truly, but… he’ll never know.

A lot of times, we don’t do it nearly as much as we should, or anywhere near as well as we’d like.

I'd just finished reading the article recounting how Andy met Johnny, when "Harvest" came on the telly. That's what one of my often high housemates in the nineties would have called "Eeeeeeeerie!" :)
I believe the dead wave. Everything is connected, everything waves. It's just often we don't pay attention, like we don't pay enough attention to other living beings or the world around us.

Now that I pay more attention to Andy, hearing he was a chap everybody liked (and how often do you meet one of those?) I realize he must have been a hidden reason of why I instantly liked the Schmuks so much, and that my attention should have been split equally. Just like everything else.

But the unfair unhealthy fame game hid that.

I believe it's never too late to restore a bit of balance in the value we give others.

My respects and thumb up to your grandma.

I'd just finished reading the article recounting how Andy met Johnny, when "Harvest" came on the telly. That's what one of my often high housemates in the nineties would have called "Eeeeeeeerie!" :)
I believe the dead wave. Everything is connected, everything waves. It's just often we don't pay attention, like we don't pay enough attention to other living beings or the world around us.

Now that I pay more attention to Andy, hearing he was a chap everybody liked (and how often do you meet one of those?) I realize he must have been a hidden reason of why I instantly liked the Schmuks so much, and that my attention should have been split equally. Just like everything else.

But the unfair unhealthy fame game hid that.

I believe it's never too late to restore a bit of balance in the value we give others.

My respects and thumb up to your grandma.
Silly sweet pupper.

I also believe the same.

Do you have a link to that article please?

Many thanks.

I also believe the same.

Do you have a link to that article please?

Many thanks.

Sure, here you go

Imagining Andy and Johnny in the same class made me smile. Andy getting into mischief and Johnny secretly giggling. Imagine being their teacher at the time. :)
"-Oî! You two! What are you up to?
-Nothing Sir, we're just playing some Neil Young!
-Yeah right."

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom