Markie Winslow incident in Fairmount Indiana 1988 from Morrissey's "Autobiography" challenged

Kevin Cavanaugh writes:

Morrissey-solo – hands down – I was in Fairmount during filming ----- and what he writes never happened:

page 296:

"I am approached by an elderly farmhand who speaks in a whisper. He has James Dean’s signature from 1949, and he is prepared to sell it to me for $3,000. I ask to see it, and out comes a school yearbook with the Dean signature written mid-page in pencil. the man runs off when Markie (Winslow - cousin of James Dean - who grew up with him in the Winslow household) appears, waving something at me.

'Did you write this?' he asks me sternly.

He is holding what unfortunately became an essay written by me in the late 1970's entitled James Dead is Not Dean yet irritatingly printed by a Manchester workshop as James Dean is Not Dead. A dreadful heap of 70s juvenilia, the essay brought me 40 useful pounds when nothing else could, and I had no idea that it would turn into a bookish presentation that would haunt me till death's sigh. My head shamefully tilts, and Markie storms off, and minutes later we are of the premises. Thankfully, we had all of the filming we needed, but there were no friendly mid-western waves as we chugged away from the farm."​

This is complete crap ~ !!!!

As a family friend of Markie Winslow and as a witness to the SUEDEHEAD video shoot on the last day of shooting FEB 8 1988 - this "book waving" NEVER happened. The Winslow Family NEVER saw a copy of the book "James Dean Is Not Dead"

I am confirming that on the morning of FEB 8 1988 – it was I that presented MOZ with a copy of this book that morning 11am where upon meeting in him and Gail Colson in their "section van" (with half a dozen US pressings of SMITHS LP's to be gleefully autographed!) - he begged that the family Winslow NOT see this book. My friend Bob - (who was the big friend of The Winslow family) and I agreed TO MORRISSEY - after he signed the book! - to never show the family. Its not like anyone in Fairmount, Indiana could buy the book at your ordinary book store (where would the family FIND this book?!) and why would we surrender our autographed copy after driving 6 and one half hours to be there that day ???

Complete bullshit – we stayed True To Him – and it MOZ that came with MTV 3 years later at our record store in Grand Rapids (only to meet and swap kisses again): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESZDRaSoxNU to premier “Your Arsenal” – we thought he was there to “return the favor” of not disclosing the book to family ---------

Really hard to read anymore of “Auto.....” heroes down ---- onward onward Kevin Cavanaugh

Related item:

Last edited:
Well...I'm not sure if Marcus Sr. was still alive or not at that point. Maybe he was and that's how Morrissey had access - if Markie was angry - that is..."

Yes Marcus Sr. and Ortense were VERY MUCH ALIVE and were there that morning. This was the second time Mrs. Winslow had made breakfast for Bob and I. (I had traveled to The Winslows with Bob a year before that - Bob used to see the Winslows & Markie every September for The James Dean Run)

After breakfast around 11a.m., the RV pulled up onto the Winslow farm and Markie took us down there to meet Moz. Markie knocked on the door and we were invited in as M (wearing very dark sunglasses!) had seen a copy of "Strangeways, Here We Come" (as with a dozen other vinyl SMITHS) in our hands.
Right away he asked to see it (and the sunglasses CAME OFF! ~ Amen.) as he had not seen a US pressing of the LP as of yet. M carefully took it out of the cover, then lyric sleeve and pointed "This Was The Best One".

M saw the book/"Essay" that he had written in our grips...
He then politely signed as he asked if we had shown it to The Winslow family. - it was a NO! from both of us because we both knew of the picture of James Dean "in the tree" and the bisexual whispers page in the book.
M asked us that we do not show it to the Winslow family - we agreed it was best NOT to show this off (Especially after this had been autographed by The Author)

We then took some Polaroid and Kodak camera pix (this was before digital) and Gail Colson was polite to take one of the three of us - (which M later signed 3 years later when he came with MTV in Grand Rapids Michigan)

M then signed about 11 different vinyl curious we had - (all import) - and asked where we got them.
Bob and I told him of this great record store where we shopped in Grand Rapids Michigan - THE VINYL SOLUTION and M asked Gail Colson to write that name down (as she did!) and the M invited us to spend the day filming ~ which we did including being "shield guys" (holding up pieces of cardboard as they were filming M at the James Dean gravesite - to prevent M's eyes from tearing up as they were filming)......lunch was also included -= which I sat directly across from M.

Gail Colson told us that the local record store in Fairmount had three copies of the US 45 "STOP ME IF YOU THINK......" with pic sleeves and we stopped and picked those up before our 6 hour trek back to Grand Rapids- (we left Morrissey at the high school about 4pm that day as they were filming his writing on the chalk board in the high school)

Chris ! i gave you that book - didn't I?? Or was it the German 12inch of "ASK" that he autographed - dang ! i can't remember - as i cannot remember any of this what happened so vividly in "my head" ..............
Ha! Kevin Cavanaugh...what's your point? I mean who cares? Your just bent out of shape that Moz couldn't care less about your short tubby bald self! Yes, everyone that listened to you embellish your story of being in Fairmount that day would ask you if the words POT...KETTLE...BLACK mean anything to you? And where is this signed book? You probably sold it for a yesterdog and a packet of chips! GET A LIFE AND A f***ING GRIP! I can't believe you feel so inclined to set the story straight over something that took up half a page!!
And I call BS on your so called account of events..JEEZ

Well...I'm not sure if Marcus Sr. was still alive or not at that point. Maybe he was and that's how Morrissey had access - if Markie was angry - that is..."

Yes Marcus Sr. and Ortense were VERY MUCH ALIVE and were there that morning. This was the second time Mrs. Winslow had made breakfast for Bob and I. (I had traveled to The Winslows with Bob a year before that - Bob used to see the Winslows & Markie every September for The James Dean Run)

After breakfast around 11a.m., the RV pulled up onto the Winslow farm and Markie took us down there to meet Moz. Markie knocked on the door and we were invited in as M (wearing very dark sunglasses!) had seen a copy of "Strangeways, Here We Come" (as with a dozen other vinyl SMITHS) in our hands.
Right away he asked to see it (and the sunglasses CAME OFF! ~ Amen.) as he had not seen a US pressing of the LP as of yet. M carefully took it out of the cover, then lyric sleeve and pointed "This Was The Best One".

He then politely signed as he asked if we had shown it to The Winslow family. - it was a NO! from both of us because we both knew of the picture of James Dean "in the tree" and the bisexual whispers page in the book.
M asked us that we do not show it to the Winslow family - we agreed it was best NOT to show this off (Especially after this had been autographed by The Author)

We then took some Polaroid and Kodak camera pix (this was before digital) and Gail Colson was polite to take one of the three of us - (which M later signed 3 years later when he came with MTV in Grand Rapids Michigan)

M then signed about 11 different vinyl curious we had - (all import) - and asked where we got them.
Bob and I told him of this great record store where we shopped in Grand Rapids Michigan - THE VINYL SOLUTION and M asked Gail Colson to write that name down (as she did!) and the M invited us to spend the day filming ~ which we did including being "shield guys" (holding up pieces of cardboard as they were filming M at the James Dean gravesite - to prevent M's eyes from tearing up as they were filming)......lunch was also included -= which I sat directly across from M.

Gail Colson told us that the local record store in Fairmount had three copies of the US 45 "STOP ME IF YOU THINK......" with pic sleeves and we stopped and picked those up before our 6 hour trek back to Grand Rapids- (we left Morrissey at the high school about 4pm that day as they were filming his writing on the chalk board in the high school)

Thanks for clarifying that. Nice story. So, was Marcus mad, then? Doesn't seem so. Knowing what I know now about the Essay...I can see why he might have been, though.

photo.php
felix.jpg
Hi, shouldn't you rest? -Self appointed nurse
will u be my nurse?

I think everyone is just all "U MAD BRO?" because they met Morrissey at his peak at the height of his career and got to hang out all day.

Ok? So what does any of that have to do with what Morrissey said in the book? You weren't there when he was allegedly confronted with the essay and he certainly didn't say it was your copy that he had signed in the man's hand so what exactly is your point?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom