Morrissey's abandoned 1988 John Peel session?

darby1974

I don't know where to put this, so please move it if need be.

Does anyone have any information on Morrissey's 1988 John Peel session that was recorded, but never broadcast?
What songs were recorded? Has anyone heard them, or have them?
Any information on this will be appreciated.
Thanks so much..

I don't know where to put this, so please move it if need be.

Does anyone have any information on Morrissey's 1988 John Peel session that was recorded, but never broadcast?
What songs were recorded? Has anyone heard them, or have them?
Any information on this will be appreciated.
Thanks so much..

I think It was Suedehead, Margaret On The Guillotine and Dial-A-Cliche - as is my recollection from someone who knew. Could be wrong though.

P.

I dont know of the one you are referring to but I have this one in my stash. Maybe you've heard it already but I thinks its cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think It was Suedehead, Margaret On The Guillotine and Dial-A-Cliche - as is my recollection from someone who knew. Could be wrong though.

P.

I thought it was — instead of "Cliche" — "Suedehead," "Margaret," "Sister I'm A Poet," and "Disappointed." That's my recollection from a previous discussion.

I dont know of the one you are referring to but I have this one in my stash. Maybe you've heard it already but I thinks its cool.

Yeah, these are outtakes from the recording of "Viva Hate," not the abandoned radio Peel Session which the original poster is speaking of. No one has unearthed the recordings we're talking about.

I was actually thinking about this session the other day. Some previous discussion revealed that this was sort of Morrissey's testing ground for considering Street, Reilly, and Paresi as a live band. Something in this session went south, and he trashed the idea.

P.

You almost certainly are wrong, Peel sessions had four songs

I'd love to know whether any vocals were actually recorded. I remember a quote from Morrissey somewhere saying that the studio engineers had upset him so much he couldn't sing, though whether he means he literally didn't sing at all, or just that the results sounded awful, I don't know.

Probably hidden in the same vault containing all the Doctor Who missing episodes, which will never be found!
I think Wolverhampton 88 was soooo lucky to get leaked because there were copies of it circulating around collectors. I don't know of one person who has the 1988 John Peel Session.

John Peel's old producer had a copy, apparently, though it's probably in a box in an attic along with a thousand other unmarked cassette tapes. Isn't a team of people currently going through Peels personal record archives? Maybe someone could have a word with them, and see if they can get hold of it?

I'd love to know whether any vocals were actually recorded. I remember a quote from Morrissey somewhere saying that the studio engineers had upset him so much he couldn't sing, though whether he means he literally didn't sing at all, or just that the results sounded awful, I don't know.

I think he walked out during the session and, given that Peel sessions were a one-day thing, that probably makes it likely that no songs were actually finished. There's a Clash Peel session that is a similar story - no vocals.

I think he walked out during the session and, given that Peel sessions were a one-day thing, that probably makes it likely that no songs were actually finished. There's a Clash Peel session that is a similar story - no vocals.

The Clash did not record a Peel session.Not a note of music.

Back
Top Bottom