Mark Ronson's cover of "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before"

My impression is that Morrissey is so grateful to be covered he is nice about the results out of politeness rather than because he thinks the records are any good.

haha that and the fact that he is likely to get a nice lump sum out of it too!

I hope it does not get to number one. I want Morrissey to be the one singing his own number one preferrably first!

ulimately i think there are a lot of people here that are trying to make something good out of something bad, people saying that it will be great if it gets to number one!

Again, just beacause you personally think it's bad doesn't mean it is.
It's just your opinion.

if this gets to number one it wont really be a triumph for moz, cos the majority of people buying it will NOT be buiying it for the lyrical content or meaning!

Again, you have no idea why anyone in particular is buying it, and it doesn't matter why they do anyway, that's their business. Are you saying that people should only buy records for their lyrical content and not because of the melody or for any other reason?

I hope it does not get to number one. I want Morrissey to be the one singing his own number one preferrably first!

SLEEP ON AND DREAM OF LOVE;)

Again, just beacause you personally think it's bad doesn't mean it is.
It's just your opinion.

Again, you have no idea why anyone in particular is buying it, and it doesn't matter why they do anyway, that's their business. Are you saying that people should only buy records for their lyrical content and not because of the melody or for any other reason?

well... YES it does, because in my opinion it IS BAD.

yes i do, people will buy it for the same reason that they buy any chart based dance record.... because it is easily accesable, appeals to mass public and has a dancy beat! the same reason armand van helden and other dance acts top the charts. do you think these acts do well in record sales because of lyrical content??? because most of them have very little lyrical content!

so, seriouly, do you think that the dance music loving population out there will be buying the record becasue of its lyrical content, or because of the beat!??

Yes i do, people will buy it for the same reason that they buy any chart based dance record.... because it is easily accesable, appeals to mass public and has a dancy beat! the same reason armand van helden and other dance acts top the charts. do you think these acts do well in record sales because of lyrical content??? because most of them have very little lyrical content!

so, seriouly, do you think that the dance music loving population out there will be buying the record becasue of its lyrical content, or because of the beat!??

But, frankly, so what if they're not buying it for its lyrical content?
In the words of the glorious 'Pull shapes' by The Pipettes; "I just wanna move, I don't care what the song's about!"

Mark Ronson is a huge Smiths fan. He loves the words and the lyrics; that's why he chose it. Plenty of people buying it will not be that interested in the lyrics but some certainly will.

Besides, I can't help but feel that Morrissey's lyrics are over-rated (the recent stuff at least). I love the sound of his singing voice as much as, if not more than, the lyrical content. Too many of his recent lyrics make me cringe ('kegs between legs' being the ultimate example!). I'd like him to focus more on better melodies and more interesting arangements.

So you are agreeing that it is just your opinion and not fact?

I don't really care why anyone might buy this or any other record and neither should you.

i think that this is one of the most pointless covers i've ever heard in my life, saying that , people have to understand that the vocalist isn't Mark himself, Ronson is a very talented producer and i wouldn't say he was a chav.
the vocalist on the other hand ,is some australian trashy pop singer who has a very puncheable face.

ps:are there any chavs in australia?and would they be buying this? ;)

So you are agreeing that it is just your opinion and not fact?

I don't really care why anyone might buy this or any other record and neither should you.

i was never disagreeing on that. every thing we like/ dislike is down to personal opinion!? so what point are you trying to make??? in MY opinion it is BAD.... does that make it a bit easier to understand??

i was never disagreeing on that. every thing we like/ dislike is down to personal opinion!? so what point are you trying to make???

The point I was trying to make is that you are a pompous narrow minded self opinionated windbag.

But that's all it is, an opinion. Your opinion of the song differs from mine. It doesn't mean you're right and I'm wrong, or the other way around.

you see sarah the problem i have here is that your contradicting yourself. in the above quote you allow me my opinion... one i am entitled to because..

1, we have freedom of speech
2, THIS IS A FORUM AND THE WHOLE POINT OF IT IS TO DISCUSS OPINIONS!!

however in your last post towards me you give me the label of a "pompous narrow minded self opinionated windbag", just because my opinion differs to yours! i think if you look at your posts you will find that your the pompous one.... and a hypocrite too. however i wouldnt worry too much as your opinion towards me means nothing!:)

Absolutely wank.

I don't see what the big fuss is. Obviously its a bit depressing that any decent song needs a dance beat added to it before Radio 1 will play it and the mass public buy it but its always been the way. The Sundays 'Heres Where The Story Ends' was ignored by radio stations and the public until Tin Tin Out added a drum beat and then suddenly it gained mass appeal and shot into the top ten despite being an inferior version.

As far as I'm concerned the more publicity for Moz, the better. If it encourages just 1 young kid to go and listen to some Smiths stuff then surely thats a good thing?

they played the video on the hits channel this morning, it's a bit daft (the video) it's about a pair of plimsolls with a mind/life of their own!

love

Grim
P.s. of the song I've heard worse cover versions.

Back
Top Bottom