Madstock Enquiry

i disagree when did it become wrong to wave the flag of the country you belong too , its not a sign of racism its a sign of being proud of your country . no one made a big issue at the last night of the proms in 92 when the flags were being waved there

no one complained in 94 when sonia echobelly walked about in union jack t-shirts and oasis used union jacks on their guitars in 95

morrissey is and continues to be very british and very english why cant he wave the flag

Flag waving at the Proms to Rule Britannia is/was frowned upon and,perhaps,rightly so.
No one cares /knew about Sonia Echobelly.
Oasis began help the reclamation of the Union Jack .
The problem is that Morrissey chose the wrong time and hence the furore.
It's all in the timing.
Also,Morrissey has never been known for his astute political sense.

the best words ever about the whole flag thing are:

I've been dreaming of a time when
To be English is not to be baneful
To be standing by the flag not feeling
Shameful, racist or partial

sub in whatever flag or country you want in there
since i have Scottish blood & an American heart
i choose
fls.jpg

this flag :guitar:

The early nineties were NOT a special time for the far right at all. They were no more ascendent than they were at any other time.

Except for the Tower Hamlets election of Derek Beacon, and the rising far right on the continent, and the growing anti-European Union sentiment under John Major, and the 'Battle of Waterloo', and the attempts to 'mainstream' Blood & Honour, etc etc.

On the whole skinhead/flag-waving thing, I would add that Morrissey has always had a fascination with working class identities in Britain, both the majority, reformist, Labourite, 'normal' aspects (like those depicted in 'Nowhere Fast' and 'Glamourous Glue') and the, for lack of a better word, 'lumpenproletariat' - the young offender, the skinhead, etc. I would say that both are portrayed as unrealistic and essentialised identities in a changing Britain. As he said in 'Still Ill', 'we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore'.

Always took his fascination with skinheads the same way one may become obsessed with the person who bullies them.

Could you clarify this please? I know quite a few skinheads who adore Morrissey. Maybe it's a Dutch thing, I don't know.

(and before I get stoned here: no, not all skinheads are right wing)

i think the weather made people kinda bonkers that day.
someone should really consult a lunar calendar.

a really hot skinhead actually saved my life, he pulled me up and threw me over the barrier and then i got carted off to the medic, at the tents, i met a fat lady with dyed red hair, she put a bandaid on my cut up face and then they gave me two painkillers and told me to go home, (was she being racist? who can say?) but i didnt go home, i went and got a falafel. i felt safe amongst the greeks you see.

and now im f***ing gorgeous.

i am certain that whatever happened that day just kinda happened. there is no oracle that can be consulted and there is no unsolved mystery. its like when the puerto rican janitor wins the lottery.

a really hot skinhead actually saved my life, he pulled me up and threw me over the barrier and then i got carted off to the medic, at the tents, i met a fat lady with dyed red hair, she put a bandaid on my cut up face and then they gave me two painkillers and told me to go home, (was she being racist? who can say?) but i didnt go home, i went and got a falafel. i felt safe amongst the greeks you see.

its post like the above that make me wish you posted more :sweet:

this is the best post i have ever read

Do you know what they adore him for?

Why are they skinheads?

They adore him for his music and they are skinheads because of their love of ska-music (originally black music), punk, rockabilly, hardcore (not the dance kind), mod etc. etc. It's a lifestyle for some people and that lifestyle existed way before skinheads were associated with right wing politics.

Maybe this will give some more insight: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinheads_Against_Racial_Prejudice

This whole “Skinheads against racism” thing is nice, but why dress uniformly if you are pro being individualistic and judge people by their personality and not their looks.

This of course goes for every subculture, whether it's punk, skinhead, rockabilly, hardcore house, crust, etc. I guess it's about not wanting to be identified with the 'normal' people (whatever they are...) and be part of a group that you do feel comfortable with. And I also think a lot of it has got to do with age as well. The whole rebellion thing and all. I'm not a cultural anthropologist, so I'm not saying that all of this is true, but this is my take on it and my experience with it.

Just announced:

MADSTOCK!, 17th July, Victoria Park with 'Special' guests

The Specials, not Moz. . . . phew

the best words ever about the whole flag thing are:

I've been dreaming of a time when
To be English is not to be baneful
To be standing by the flag not feeling
Shameful, racist or partial

sub in whatever flag or country you want in there
since i have Scottish blood & an American heart
i choose
fls.jpg

this flag :guitar:

good on you you could do much worse

Just announced:

MADSTOCK!, 17th July, Victoria Park with 'Special' guests

The Specials, not Moz. . . . phew

I doubt Morrissey will be getting another invite..

Anyway, I'm not sure The Specials without Jerry Dammers really qualify as such. But it's all about cash these days.. :mad: Not getting at you, Devout! :)

Back
Top Bottom