Johnny Marr to write autobiography

The Torygraph are late to the party as usual, this news is a year old:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-12224435

I can't see Marr accepting any book deal in the immediate future because he's concentrating on another Healers album. I expect he'll wait for Morrissey's book to come out and the fuss to die down, then go through the Smiths bits circling everything that's wrong and making a mental note to correct it in his own autobiog. I think we'll be waiting at least three years.

I can't see Marr accepting any book deal in the immediate future because he's concentrating on another Healers album. I expect he'll wait for Morrissey's book to come out and the fuss to die down, then go through the Smiths bits circling everything that's wrong and making a mental note to correct it in his own autobiog. I think we'll be waiting at least three years.

Nice catch , Amy. I didn't remember ( or think to look for) any previous reference.

But Morrissey first ? Do you think so ? I don't know - after all, this is the man prone to spending close to a decade without recording/writing much at all...

Nice catch , Amy. I didn't remember ( or think to look for) any previous reference.

But Morrissey first ? Do you think so ? I don't know - after all, this is the man prone to spending close to a decade without recording/writing much at all...

Well Morrissey has already written his book, which gives him an enormous time advantage surely? The publishers are hungry for him to agree a deal (remember that cringeworthy begging exercise from Faber?), and in the absence of a record contract, he'll have little else to fill his time with after the tour is over. We've been told that the autobiography will be out in December this year :guitar:. Also, I'd never say he was 'prone' to wasting time - he didn't exactly choose the "Wilderness Years", and he was touring and writing almost constantly throughout that time even without a deal. He's not a lazy man.

Marr, on the other hand... is too concerned with the Healers to sit around writing his life story, and he's never seemed to have any particular passion for writing so I can't imagine the autobiography would come together quickly. I think he'll wait for the reaction to Morrissey's memoirs, and then try to "one up" him by contradicting half of it. Marr has told the same stories for so long over the years, I think most people could piece together his autobiography already. Here, I'll have a bash:

"When I was young, I wanted to make records like my heroes, The Rolling Stones. I made a lot of friends, smoked a lot of weed, played a lot of guitar and eventually unearthed this lanky headcase called Morrissey. He called us "The Smiths" and we were pretty successful. Eventually Morrissey started being an arse, making me fire everybody and deal with van hire people and such like, so I started drinking like a demon and crashed my car and generally had a bit of a breakdown. Plus, he made us record a Cilla Black song. I left the band in '87, smoked some more weed, sessioned with one mediocre band after another and resigned myself to giving one Smiths interview per week for the rest of my life. That's why you'll have heard all this shit before, but who cares. See ya".

Well Morrissey has already written his book, which gives him an enormous time advantage surely? The publishers are hungry for him to agree a deal (remember that cringeworthy begging exercise from Faber?), and in the absence of a record contract, he'll have little else to fill his time with after the tour is over. We've been told that the autobiography will be out in December this year :guitar:. Also, I'd never say he was 'prone' to wasting time - he didn't exactly choose the "Wilderness Years", and he was touring and writing almost constantly throughout that time even without a deal. He's not a lazy man.

Marr, on the other hand... is too concerned with the Healers to sit around writing his life story, and he's never seemed to have any particular passion for writing so I can't imagine the autobiography would come together quickly. I think he'll wait for the reaction to Morrissey's memoirs, and then try to "one up" him by contradicting half of it. Marr has told the same stories for so long over the years, I think most people could piece together his autobiography already. Here, I'll have a bash:

"When I was young, I wanted to make records like my heroes, The Rolling Stones. I made a lot of friends, smoked a lot of weed, played a lot of guitar and eventually unearthed this lanky headcase called Morrissey. He called us "The Smiths" and we were pretty successful. Eventually Morrissey started being an arse, making me fire everybody and deal with van hire people and such like, so I started drinking like a demon and crashed my car and generally had a bit of a breakdown. Plus, he made us record a Cilla Black song. I left the band in '87, smoked some more weed, sessioned with one mediocre band after another and resigned myself to giving one Smiths interview per week for the rest of my life. That's why you'll have heard all this shit before, but who cares. See ya".

I actually just laughed my c*** out at your effort at Marr's first (only ?) chapter . " Lanky headcase ... he called us 'The Smiths'...." - still laughing.

To be fair, both reports are a year old, and the Telegraph [2:47PM GMT 18 Jan 2011] was a day before the BBC [19 January 2011 Last updated at 10:38]

To be fair, both reports are a year old, and the Telegraph [2:47PM GMT 18 Jan 2011] was a day before the BBC [19 January 2011 Last updated at 10:38]

Ooh, thanks MORRIZSEY, I didn't look too closely at the date on the original link. Still, old news. Interesting that we haven't heard anything more about the autobiog in the year since that story broke - it's obviously on the back-burner. I'd like to know which label Johnny will be releasing the 2nd Healers album on.

Back
Top Bottom