Johnny Marr to get University of Salford doctorate

"Johnny Marr, the former guitarist of Manchester band The Smiths,
is to be given an honorary doctorate by the University of Salford."

Johnny Marr to get University of Salford doctorate - BBC News, Manchester

UPDATE July 20, 1:25PM:

Link posted by Uncleskinny:

Ex-Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr honoured by Salford University for services to pop music - Manchester Evening News

c_71_article_1584026_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
He shouldn't accept this any more than he would a knighthood. It's a stupid, meaningless award universities give to celebrities for publicity.

He shouldn't accept this any more than he would a knighthood. It's a stupid, meaningless award universities give to celebrities for publicity.

So was the "visiting professorship" they gave him 5 years ago (for which he gave 1 inaugural 'lecture' and that was it), but he accepted that pretty quickly. It's free publicity for the Uni, and it helps keep Marr's name in the papers. Win-win.

Johnny Marr TV interview on collecting University o
f Salford honorary doctorate

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/story/2012-07-19/jonny-marr-honoured/

"Give us an idea of your duties as a Professor".

"Er, initially I had an inauguration lecture, which was amazing, nerve-wracking (blah blah) and then I've done a few seminars and workshops and we go through what it is being a musician...I just kind of improvise and talk about my day to day life".

It does seem pretty pointless really. Does he get paid for that? The question about not needing a degree to form a band was amusing; Marr clearly caught between contradicting past statements about the "DIY method" and not wanting to denigrate Salford's music degrees. He dodged the question about Moz, probably because he knew the real answer. Remember what Moz said about Marr's Professorship/attitude to music "teachers"? "I think he would have bottled the Professor, if memory serves me correctly".:guitar:

Good to see that despite bleating on about how much the evil nasty Tories have taken their funding away while simultaneously gleefully charging students £9k a year for degrees that'll never get them a job, they can still afford fancy garb for celebrities.

Good to see that despite bleating on about how much the evil nasty Tories have taken their funding away while simultaneously gleefully charging students £9k a year for degrees that'll never get them a job, they can still afford fancy garb for celebrities.

The gowns worn at graduation ceremonies remain the property of the institution. You haven't been to university, have you?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom