It's not your birthday anymore

I think I'm reading it alot simpler than most of you...

I think it just has to do with being nice to someone when you have to be. we all do that. we are all fake to an extent. when people ask "how are you?" and you say "fine." most of the time I bet we really honestly don't give a shit how that person is doing, but the polite thing to do is ask "how are YOU doing?" it sounds like Morrissey is talking about some relationship gone wrong, but he was put in an uncomfortable situation (maybe this persons birthday party? i know i know, SO literal right? :rolleyes:) and maybe he couldnt show his true feelings infront of this person. or maybe this person knew how he felt, but he didnt wanna show the whole crowd this. So he forces himself to go to this function, or this party, or someones house and this PERSON is there, and he puts on a front that he's okay, but he knows after that day is over, he can go back to hating this person.

That's a very simple explanation, but why would he get all hyper sensitive over it? If that way is the case, the song wouldn't include the lyrics "all the gifts that they gave.....to the love i am now giving to you" followed by the loud cries after. *shrug* Seems a lil more complicated than that to me

Re: Emotional MOZ cries @ end of Its Not Your Birthday Anymore

THANK YOU!
That makes alot more sense now actually. Never thought about it that way.
I always really liked "Unhappy Birthday"
Specially the lyric "loved and lost, and some may say, when usually its nothing, surely you're happy it should be this way"
Its sharp like a knife. It gets me all wet even now.

please explain what that lyric means, i swear i never understood. :o language barriers...

Last edited:
That's a very simple explanation, but why would he get all hyper sensitive over it? If that way is the case, the song wouldn't include the lyrics "all the gifts that they gave.....to the love i am now giving to you" followed by the loud cries after. *shrug* Seems a lil more complicated than that to me

he's hyper sensitive ...one, cuz he's Morrissey. two, b/c he obviously had/has very strong feelings for this person. and the line you quote, i read it as hes saying "yeah these silly little material gifts are nothing compared to the time we sex'd all night on your floor., and you know it baby." he says "now" but again, maybe he meant in the past, maybe he got a bootycall later that night, who knows?

It's Not Your Unhappy Birthday Anymore

I'm not sure if this has been asked/said, but is the sound at the start of It's NOt Your Birthday at the start of Unhappy Birthday too? I'd check but the Strangeways record is upstairs and I must know!:p If so, I quite like that!:o

Re: It's Not Your Unhappy Birthday Anymore

I'm not sure if this has been asked/said, but is the sound at the start of It's NOt Your Birthday at the start of Unhappy Birthday too? I'd check but the Strangeways record is upstairs and I must know!:p If so, I quite like that!:o

As I just told you, it's not. :p

Yes it does a bit, there's a similar ambience. :)
I get a bit mixed up if one or the other comes on my iPod. :o

Since this thread is prematurely dead, which song do you prefer?:p

The sound at the intro to "Unhappy Birthday" is Marr on slide guitar with a heavy reverb. It may be a lap steel. These are commonly used in country music.
The sound at the intro (and all throughout, in fact) "It's Not Your Birthday Anymore" is simply a mix of synthesizer noises.
COMPLETELY different.
:thumb:

So I was listening to this today while waiting in the car line for my kid and suddenly I thought, "Are these two separate voices?"

Like...is the slow pleading voice the person who loves? and the fast "It's not your birthday anymore" voice the person who is loved but doesn't care?

I dunno. I was bored. ;)

So I was listening to this today while waiting in the car line for my kid and suddenly I thought, "Are these two separate voices?"

Like...is the slow pleading voice the person who loves? and the fast "It's not your birthday anymore" voice the person who is loved but doesn't care?

I dunno. I was bored. ;)

good theory :),i think this song could be about a passive-agressive relationship, seeminglythe couple had a fight ,but the person who`s in love is trying to be nice,because its the other person birthday,and he doesn`t want to ruin the party but on the inside he doesn`t like this person anymore and he knows their relationship is over but he can`t get out, let`s say he`s addicted to their unhealthy relationship ,but at the same time,he still wants to be involved with the person who`s not in love with him and that`s why they make love on the floor.......hmmm ok maybe this is complicated but this is my theory about this song :crazy:

To me the lines,
"All of the gifts that they gave can't compare in any way

To the love I am now giving to you

Right here, right now on the floor "

make me think of Morrissey when he lies down on the stage(November Spawned,Pigsty etc...).
The "gifts" are the pressies people throw on stage.

Works for me,anyway.

Back
Top Bottom