Fish and Chips?

FFS 'Fish and Chips' is a generic term for anything from a chippy! Anyone knows that! Even if Morrissey does eat fish, he wouldn't be so stupid to do it in such an obvious way after spending the last 25 years setting himself up as one of the world's mopst prominent and militant vegetarians! Give the man some credit for his own intelligence!

Brel said:
I doubt it very much. He has spoken in the past about the comforts of an occasional "chip butty", but there is no ethical debate in that.

I grow my own vegetables (well my wife does most of the hard work!), and I'm looking forward to a chip butty - dug, chopped & fried in less than an hour.

If you buy organic veg from your local supermarket, you may wish to spare a thought for the fish blood and bone that has more than likely been used to fertilise the soil in which they grew! It's a real bugger that one.

Just right.

Well, we know one thing for sure, he likes chips:

mozandabagofchips.jpg

I'm partial to Cheese and Ranch Dressing myself:

romecheese.jpg

Jim Rome said:
Well, we know one thing for sure, he likes chips:

mozandabagofchips.jpg

I'm partial to Cheese and Ranch Dressing myself:

romecheese.jpg

WOW. *soft laughter* that really did catch me off guard...

id like to know were he got them from there are no decent chippys in Blackburn town centre! Dont believe he ate fish though! :p

Might be worth pointing out to our American cousins that chips in UK are what you call (I think) French fries.
We call your chips crisps.

So the debate is about fish and French fries, not fish and potato chips.

Am I really typing this?

Helen Bach said:
Might be worth pointing out to our American cousins that chips in UK are what you call (I think) French fries.

Am I really typing this?
Thank you for doing it, so I didn't have to ;) (I was considering it!)

Helen Bach said:

Am I really typing this?

yes, thank u for pointing that out...although i already knew that most americans don't. and in some parts of america we really DO eat fish and chips, but corn chips, not potato.

Did you know that Walkers Prawn Cocktail and Roast Chicken Flavour Crisps are suitable for vegetarians?

I'm addicted.

Chips aren't American chips.

Chips are "French Fries".
Crisps are 'chips' (like, Walkers, Doritos, etc)

In Germany

Crisps are Chips (as in the American sense)...of the usual boring paprika flavour.

Fries are "Fritten" or "Pommes"....

no vinegar on top of pommes in germany though (fries)..just ketchup and mayonnaise.

so confusing.

Walkers Crisp said:
Did you know that Walkers Prawn Cocktail and Roast Chicken Flavour Crisps are suitable for vegetarians?

I'm addicted.

But the cheese and onion ones aren't. :mad: Sort it out, WC.

Walkers Crisp said:
In Germany

Crisps are Chips (as in the American sense)...of the usual boring paprika flavour.

Fries are "Fritten" or "Pommes"....

no vinegar on top of pommes in germany though (fries)..just ketchup and mayonnaise.

so confusing.
...commonly known as "Pommes Schranke" :D

Helen Bach said:

Am I really typing this?

Didn't think I would have to explain the joke. For those in England, we have plenty of fast food restaurants out here who have "Fish and Chips" that come with french fries:

H-Salt
Long John Silvers
Jack in the Box
Carl's Jr.
(fill in the rest here)

Plus a multitude of sit-in restaurants that bare the same dish. So I took it for granted that many Americans are familiar with the dish (did it originate in England btw?) and that most of our "cousins" would know that we are aware of that fact.

And now...before this turns into one of those dreaded threads in which Americans defend their right to be ignorant and the English emphasize their 'Englishness' lets have another gander at me wearing a block of cheese:

romecheese.jpg

Blissfully yours....

Jim Rome said:
Didn't think I would have to explain the joke. For those in England, we have plenty of fast food restaurants out here who have "Fish and Chips" that come with french fries:

H-Salt
Long John Silvers
Jack in the Box
Carl's Jr.
(fill in the rest here)

Plus a multitude of sit-in restaurants that bare the same dish. So I took it for granted that many Americans are familiar with the dish (did it originate in England btw?) and that most of our "cousins" would know that we are aware of that fact.

And now...before this turns into one of those dreaded threads in which Americans defend their right to be ignorant and the English emphasize their 'Englishness' lets have another gander at me wearing a block of cheese:

romecheese.jpg

Blissfully yours....

It might be a block of cheese in America, but in England we call it the curd of milk, coagulated usually with rennet, separated from the whey, and pressed into a solid mass in a hoop or mold.

It's obvious to anyone with half a brain that the Mozfather doesn't eat fish.

Whoever made that bit of the story up probably made the rest up too.

AlbertFinney said:
It's obvious to anyone with half a brain that the Mozfather doesn't eat fish.

Nope, he sure doesn't...

mozbelly.jpg

You see, in America, we refer to something else as fish...

No way he ate fish! Would have been potato cakes and chips, I think. Maybe a vegetable pattie as well!?

Back
Top Bottom