Do you like it when Moz calls us his "audience"?

Do you like it when Moz calls us his "audience"?

• Yes, it feels respectful

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • No, it's redundant because I tell everybody I'm a fan

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I'll go with whatever makes Moz happy

Votes: 31 57.4%
  • No, I hate being lumped into a category and wish for Moz to respect my individuality

Votes: 5 9.3%

• Total voters

Suzanne

vote now

never really thought about it .

IM A FAN I SUPPOSE !

Voted #3 - if that makes him happy so be it. I call myself a fan and have no problems being labled that way - you certainly won't hear me tell another person "You see, I'm a member of Morrissey's audience" - if you think that sounds funny, just imagine how funny it sounds in my mother tongue. "Fan" sounds much better and much more accurate, if I may add.

I really don't care...he can call me his bitch if he likes. :p

It's all a bit pedantic isn't it. I just don't think he likes labels or even names unless he's come up with them. He called himself Morrissey, hates being called a vegetarian etc. I suppose though maybe he's trying to make us special ;)

Wouldn't he sound pretentious if he said he has "fans"? :) I think so! Imagine:" Well, I have many fans"...bla bla bla... "My fans follow me on tour"...
That is why he calls us his "audience". I don't see anything wrong here. On the contrary, he shows how modest he is...(or tries to be :p )
By the way, he calls his fans his "friends" too. :rolleyes: Isn' t that wonderful? (Even if I don't believe him!:rolleyes: )

its nice to be called his audience, as we are! i do think he is quite respectful for his audience and his fans.

It's all a bit pedantic isn't it. I just don't think he likes labels or even names unless he's come up with them. He called himself Morrissey, hates being called a vegetarian etc. I suppose though maybe he's trying to make us special ;)
I couldn't care less what he calls me. I suppose "the audience" sounds more like "people who listen to your music", while "fan" sounds more like "people who adore you", as if you were a football club that 'fans' root for. In that case... what do you think, what are we here on Morrissey-solo? I'm not sure... Audience? Fans? Stalkers? :p

I'm not sure that he hates being called a vegetarian, I don't remember he ever objected to it before. But the term can be misleading, because most people don't know what exactly it means. As I've found out, if you say "well, yes, I'm a vegetarian", people think that you don't eat any animal-derived food. Besides, they usually also think that you only eat some weird, expensive and hard-to-find food. Either that, or that your diet is very slim and that you don't care if your food is tasty, so you'll be likely to get something that tastes like grass. :p So I usually just say: "I don't eat meat".

I think he just gets embarrassed at the term fans. I would too if I were him. I don't think I'd invent another term so obviously though because it just invites ridicule.

I'd just say "people who come to my concerts" or "the people that buy/listen to my records".

I don't see why anyone would even give it a second thought...

I have never understood the point of this distinction on Moz' part, much less why he feels the need to point it out, but hey, we all have our semantic hang-ups and he probably wouldn't understand some of mine.

Last edited:
Each to their own I guess. I don't mind being called a fan - I've been called much worse!

I don't geddit. What else should he call us? :confused:

Think about it.

Wouldn't you feel a bit big headed saying "My fans do this" or "My fans do that". He just feels self conscious about it as anyone would.

It's different saying "I'm a fan of" because it's not like you are putting yourself on a pedestal.

Think about it.

Wouldn't you feel a bit big headed saying "My fans do this" or "My fans do that". He just feels self conscious about it as anyone would.

It's different saying "I'm a fan of" because it's not like you are putting yourself on a pedestal.

Oh I see.

Well yeah. "The fans" is soooooo Westlife. And Morrissey doesn't ever patronise us. Even when interviewers bring up the subject of seriously nutty super-...'fans', he still doesn't. I remember one occasion where he was on about the people who actually just follow him round all the time, and he told the story of this guy who got naked and wanked all over his car (lol) and he just made some remark about how he was arrested and charged with 'enjoying his body too much' and said, with much hesitation, that the British fans/audience/whatever are more "intellectual" about it. And that was it.

But anyway I don't really mind what he calls us.. :)

Oh I see.

Well yeah. "The fans" is soooooo Westlife. And Morrissey doesn't ever patronise us. Even when interviewers bring up the subject of seriously nutty super-...'fans', he still doesn't. I remember one occasion where he was on about the people who actually just follow him round all the time, and he told the story of this guy who got naked and wanked all over his car (lol) and he just made some remark about how he was arrested and charged with 'enjoying his body too much' and said, with much hesitation, that the British fans/audience/whatever are more "intellectual" about it. And that was it.
Oh, so that's the story! Sunbags mentioned a while ago something about a guy who wanked on his car, I wondered what it was about. Morrissey's reaction really shows one of his most wonderful character traits. Most other people would be angry or disgusted, but Morrissey is understanding and non-judgemental. And people always think he is arrogant - which is so wrong. I think that he really respects his fans (erm, particularly passionate and devoted members of his audience ;) ) and sympathizes with them. Teenage Morrissey was a very dedicated and obsessive fan himself, and fortunately he has never 'outgrown' or come to despise those old obsessions, as many people do.

"You see, I'm a member of Morrissey's audience" - if you think that sounds funny, just imagine how funny it sounds in my mother tongue. .
I don't really like the word fan myself.

In my mother tongue there is a word that can be literary translated as " someone who respects the art of...", which sounds about right to me.

Member of the audience is a bit too long. Morrissey should come with a better and shorter term.

P.S. Hiiii, Lilibett!!! Where is that story about the guy and the car coming from? I want to read/watch/listen! :p

In my mother tongue fan is translated as an "admirer". Since I am one, I don't mind being called a fan in English - I agree the term is not quite adequate but there is no better alternative and, as I already said, I think I wouldn't be disciplined enough to say "I'm a member of Morrissey's audience". I have no problems with being called "audience" by someone else but when I refer to myself I say I'm a fan.

P.S. Hiiii, Lilibett!!! Where is that story about the guy and the car coming from? I want to read/watch/listen! :p

Hiya :) I thought it was that cringey Edith Bowman interview from earlier this year, but I've just watched it on youtube and it ain't...does anyone else know where I'll find the quote about the man wanking onto his car?!

Back
Top Bottom