Brief mention of Morrissey by Stephen Fry

It wasn't missed, it was circumnavigated. :)

Not being a genius doesn't stop you being perceived, quite reasonably, as intelligent, that's the way I see it. He may not be a modern-day Wilde, but I think he is mostly seen as an extremely charming, witty and smart celeb who can knock out a novel if he wishes. I don't see people overrating him on the whole; I don't see the Wilde thing getting thrown around regarding him. (Okay, maybe I've missed that. I don't read the press much.)

Clearly he's not a giant of intellect because if he were, I would surely know a whole ream of Fryisms by now, without having to search my memory at all, but I don't seem to know any.

stephen fry was on cnn yesterday evening on a show called connect the world(9 .pm UK time
10 german time
the woman hosting it was tomboyish..he appeared on the last 15 minutes of the show.
nothing about moz but he quoted oscar wilde .
got aware of it by zapping

Last edited:
It wasn't missed, it was circumnavigated. :)

Not being a genius doesn't stop you being perceived, quite reasonably, as intelligent, that's the way I see it. He may not be a modern-day Wilde, but I think he is mostly seen as an extremely charming, witty and smart celeb who can knock out a novel if he wishes. I don't see people overrating him on the whole; I don't see the Wilde thing getting thrown around regarding him. (Okay, maybe I've missed that. I don't read the press much.)

Clearly he's not a giant of intellect because if he were, I would surely know a whole ream of Fryisms by now, without having to search my memory at all, but I don't seem to know any.

I think you're right. Fry's detractors act as if he has declared himself a genius. Which, obviously, he hasn't.

I think Fry is our greatest 'enthuser' (that's probably not a word). He's like the friend who says, "You really must [read this book/see this film/listen to this composer]." He seems to have an overwhelming desire to share his passions, whether it's Wilde, Wagner, language, technology, humanism, chocolate, Morrissey...

The fact that he shares his passions in such an articulate, charming and witty fashion just makes his enthusiasm all the more welcome.

Rather like our Mr Morrissey, there really isn't anyone quite like Stephen Fry. I think people who challenge his standing on the basis that he 'isn't a genius' are being a little unreasonable.

....who was more of an influence on Morrissey's last album? Fry or Alpert?

I'd go with Alpert. Simply great! I'm having "Tijuana Taxi" at my funeral. :thumb:

I'd say Richard Alpert, based solely upon the cover. I've never heard the album itself.

There is also actually someone called Herb Morrissey who was born in 1959 and became a well-known magician! -
"First established in 1959 by Herb Morrissey and now celebrating 50 years in business! Morrissey Magic has been supplying magic equipment and magic supplies to magicians in Canada and through out the world now for 50 years..." - http://www.morrisseymagic.com/

(as we're stumbling on the names front...) :D

There is also actually someone called Herb Morrissey who was born in 1959 and became a well-known magician! -
"First established in 1959 by Herb Morrissey and now celebrating 50 years in business! Morrissey Magic has been supplying magic equipment and magic supplies to magicians in Canada and through out the world now for 50 years..." - http://www.morrisseymagic.com/

(as we're stumbling on the names front...) :D

I got a huge laugh out of this when I stumbled across it a few years ago. :p

Back
Top Bottom