At first I liked Ringleader better than Quarry but now I've switched my mind. You?

Do you now like Quarry better than Ringleader whereas the opposite was true at first?

• Total voters
Re: At first I liked Ringleader better than Quarry but now I've switched my mind. You

I thought Ringleader was terrible. I can't listen to any of those songs anymore. They send chills up my spine, but not good ones. That is just my opinion though. Maybe I'm fooling myself to believe Morrissey will release another album that will please me. I think he should try death metal on his next one. Or Appalachian jamboree folk.

I really like YATQ though.

Re: At first I liked Ringleader better than Quarry but now I've switched my mind. You

HI there,
first post.

I've changed my mind a dozen of times. Got to admit that ROTT was the first Moz album I heard (I was about 15, sorry) and I really liked it. After hearing all the Smiths and the solo stuff, I decided YATQ was better.

Now I think YATQ is more a lyrical album. Let me explain: all the lyrics are great, but I think you can read them without hearing the music and you won't miss too much. There are exceptions of course, as How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?, but take, for example, You Know I Couldn't last: it's a great tale about the music industry, the fans, and how boring and annoying it can be. But the music is pretty average, if not boring.

ROTT, on the other hand has great music and a great production. It may be not as good as YATQ lyrically (but even this is arguable, The Father Who Must Be KIlled is amazing), but the sound of it it's just great. Life's A Pigsty, At Last I Am Born, etc. Every single song has a big majestic production and sound attached to it.

So I'd hear ROTT and think about YATQ :p

Cheers from Mexico,
Dante

Last edited:

Well I kind of prefer Ringleader only because it was the first Morrissey record I heard. I remember hearing 'You Have Killed Me' and I just adored the chorus. I listened to that over and over again and I loved the album because there was plenty of catchy melodies. I didn't really scrutinise the lyrics.

Then after that I started listening to The Smiths and the rest of Morrissey's stuff and I changed my mind. I think YATQ is better. It has got a larger amount of great songs or rather singles, which is something Ringleader lacks. Asides from the lead single, the rest were a pretty mediocre bunch. I think you can measure that by how the crowd doesn't really sing along with those singles too much. Whereas they would with Irish Blood and First Of The Gang. I like the sentiment in 'The Future' but god the music is god awful. So so dull.

But still though, I prefer listening to Ringleader because it brings back nice memories!

I stand corrected -- Ringleader has created at least two new fans who've posted right here.

Film critic Roger Ebert once said he was envious of people who had never seen The Third Man, because they could have an experience that he'd never have again -- seeing it for the first time.

You guys have all those Morrissey and Smiths albums ahead of you!

Edit: And I agree that the singalong ratio is as accurate a measure of how "good" a song is as any other.

I remember when I first listened to Ringleader, I felt really disappointed. It took a lot of listens to 'get it', but I'm glad I finally did.

My ears continue to remain in awe whenever Pigsty comes on, which is easily one of his best songs in years. One of my favorites of the period is the b-side "I Knew I Was Next", which is VASTLY OVERLOOKED.

These days, I still prefer Quarry. Nonetheless, Ringleader is still an excellent record from start to finish. However, to truly appreciate it, you have to be in this certain "mood" I guess.

I still maintain that, musically, "The Father Who Must Be Killed" is terrible. Sorry Alain! :(

Back
Top Bottom