Anyone in Chat the other night for the NHS vs US private debate

Bee's Knees

For those in chat the other night. I have to admit some defeat!

I said the other night how poorly my GP treated me and raised his voice to me the two times I took the baby to the doctor.

Today, I switched GP's. This one is closer to home as well. And the doctor there was LOVELY. She was an absolute angel.

I called the baby clinic to schedule my 1 year check and the nurse said to come in today. I explained the baby was ill and not sure if she wanted to go ahead with the check. After a list of symptoms, she told me I should see the GP. I told her that my GP raised his voice to me both times I took the baby in and I will not go back unless I feel something is REALLY wrong. This nurse made an appointment, set up the change paperwork and called the doctor in to see us during his check. It was really above and beyond and so so so nice.

So the NHS is scoring off the charts for me today. Maybe I just had the worst GP in Britain.

It's nice that you had such a positive experience!

Hope the little one is better soon!

(And that your old doctor get's struck off the medical register for being such an insensitive miserable git!)

Love Alma xxx

I've had a REALLY bad NHS experience. When I broke my leg last year, we went to the hospital and the man there wouldn't do an x-ray, said I'd just sprained it, so I should take loads of painkillers and walk on it. After three weeks trying and failing to do this, we go back to the hospital, convince them to do an x-ray, and get a very awkward "Umm..yes...we did actually find a break in the bone..." and I had to have my leg in a cast for 8 weeks. I was lucky though, because it could have disabled me..

HOWEVER, my experiences have been generally positive, and I still support the NHS completely. Privatized healthcare is disgusting concept, and is to me, worse than privatized education. One of the things I hate most about America.

I'm glad you've found a better GP :)

The NHS is very hit and miss.
Some of my relatives have had much less than satisfactory care in hospitals.
But, I, personally have been treated very well by my GP and others. :) If I had had to pay privately, it would have cost me a fortune.

I've had a REALLY bad NHS experience. When I broke my leg last year, we went to the hospital and the man there wouldn't do an x-ray, said I'd just sprained it, so I should take loads of painkillers and walk on it. After three weeks trying and failing to do this, we go back to the hospital, convince them to do an x-ray, and get a very awkward "Umm..yes...we did actually find a break in the bone..." and I had to have my leg in a cast for 8 weeks. I was lucky though, because it could have disabled me..

That is bad, i work in a very busy a&e department and government/fat cat managers are forever putting more strain (no pun) and pressure on medical staff/hospital trusts to hit targets after targets...the most they want you to be in the department now is 4hrs max or it's classed as a breach. Those 4hrs could consist of triage to any treatment/x-rays/tests/seeing a doctor to hopefully any results and a diagnosis to then your discharge or admission or arranging a follow up. Patient care is dwindling more and more due to what are impossible targets to reach on really busy days and some are very complicated cases, such as real life threatening traumas where the 4hrs still applies.
As for them missing any broken bones or other problems then there should procedures in place to stop that, anybody that is x-rayed and then discharged should have their x-rays looked at again by a radiologist at some point. If anything is missed then you should be recalled...hopefully.
As for GP's they can be very hit and miss it seems, most however are good at their job but there are always a few who prove otherwise.
Stay healthy, eat yer greens! x

Back
Top Bottom