Anyone flying into the UK for the gigs?

Brel

Guttersnipe
Anyone flying into the UK for the gigs? CANCELLED FLIGHTS

You might want to keep an eye on the weather reports. We have had fog over the last day or two. It hasn't seemed too bad in Manchester but it has caused problems at Liverpool and some of the London airports. British Airways is cancelling domestic routes from Heathrow tomorrow.

I hope that Morrissey makes it back from Amsterdam!

Last edited:
Sorry to be the Prophet of Doom, but I've just seen on the BBC that BA are now also announcing that some European routes are going to be cancelled tomorrow. Other Airlines and Airports are said the be making announcements, because of the density of the fog. They are expecting this "dense fog" to last 48 hours, possibly into the Christmas shutdown.

Manchester isn't that bad at the minute!

Sorry.

I booked a flight from London to Manchester tomorrow afternoon, but the flight is likely to be cancelled.
The phone is busy and unable to speak to the airline...I have to travel by coach.:(

I booked a flight from London to Manchester tomorrow afternoon, but the flight is likely to be cancelled.
The phone is busy and unable to speak to the airline...I have to travel by coach.:(

The sooner you get it booked the better, because they will get booked up very soon. I hope everything works out well for you.

Typical isn't it?

Thank you, Brel.

I'm also worried about my friend mimiko who's travelling from Japan.
I wonder her flight landed on Heathrow.
She's supporsed to fly to Manchester from there, but the flights are cancelled.:(

I think that this is going to become a big issue. The big concern seems to be that airlines are about to wind down operations for the Christmas holiday. So even if the fog clears by tomorrow, they will be cancelling flights to cater for the backlog.

Your friend (and you?) might want to get the train. Good news here is that Virgin have lifted the saver restrictions on Fridays in December, so you should be able to use the flexible £57 return tickets, but I'd advise making seat reservations (although they often cancel these when the shit hits the fan).

You might be stranded in Manchester for Christmas?

Last edited:
I think my friend is getting a direct flight from L.A. to Manchester so I think he will be okay. I hope so anyway.

And if he isn't going direct... Argh.

Manchester has had a little fog in the mornings, but nothing too bad. However Liverpool Airport has had to cancel, and they are only about 45 miles from here, so thats a concern.

I've just heard a new weather report that says the fog will be with us for a few more days. Also the news report (BBC News 24) is reporting the train line that includes the London to Manchester service (Virgin West Coast) to be "standing room if you are lucky" - if this is true, it will hit a lot of fans.

Last edited:
I have a Magic Carpet that seats 2, £10 a person.

Sorry, i hope everyone manages to get here. To show i'm not a completly heartless person, here's the coach times from London Central to Manchester on the 21st/22nd.

***Thursday 21st December***
coachle9.jpg

***Friday 22nd December***
coachvx1.jpg

Last edited:
There still seems to be train tickets left so that could well be your best bet.

Oh no! I've been hearing about all these flights getting cancelled all day and it never even occurred to me that it might affect Morrissey fans...hope it doesn't :eek:

I use thetrainline and it's not bad.

Yes, but it only shows 4 train times at once, so it's a bit bollocko for screenshots.

I am flying from dublin friday evening into Manchester returning Xmas eve at 5pm. Fog in Dublin the last 2 mornings cancelled internal flights. Hoping I will e ok??

cossy

I think that this is going to become a big issue. The big concern seems to be that airlines are about to wind down operations for the Christmas holiday. So even if the fog clears by tomorrow, they will be cancelling flights to cater for the backlog.

Your friend (and you?) might want to get the train. Good news hear is that Virgin have lifted the saver restrictions on Fridays in December, so you should be able to use the flexible £57 return tickets, but I'd advise making seat reservations (although they often cancel these when the shit hits the fan).

You might be stranded in Manchester for Christmas?

Hopefully return travel will be OK.
I'm travelling back to London 24th by coach, my friend will heading back to Japan via Manchester Airport.
She's supposed to arrive Manchester Airport from Heathrow 8:20pm this evening, but her flight might have landed other airport.:o

Finally I managed to speak to the airline, but the woman with heavy Indian accent kept saying that they weren't sure about the weather until tomorrow.
You're absolutely right that the airlines won't be able to accommodate all the passengers tomorrow.

Anyway, I've already arranged to travel by coach tomorrow morning.

O dear... just got home after the Amsterdam show and now I'm reading this! :eek:
I'm flying to Manchester tomorrow evening, at least, that's what I hope.
Just checked the airline and there were no problems with today's flights to and from Manchester.
So I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow...:(

O dear... just got home after the Amsterdam show and now I'm reading this! :eek:
I'm flying to Manchester tomorrow evening, at least, that's what I hope.
Just checked the airline and there were no problems with today's flights to and from Manchester.
So I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow...:(

18 flights cancelled today at Manchester, and 2,000 people have had there travel affected. These figures were on local news tonight. Problems seem to be focused on BA flights in and out of Heathrow.

Good Luck.

I flew back from Hamburg (Lubeck) yesterday to Manchester via Dublin!
Landing was brilliant (I love flying and the scary landings!) We came down in Dublin and there are two chimneys at the end of the Liffey - you could only see the top half of them and nothing else of Dublin. When we came out of the fog, we were about 50 feet from the ground.

We had a two hour delay for the Manchester flight (que a few hours in the bar), whilst flights to Kerry, Derry, Sligo and the Isle of Man were cancelled. then they cancelled Southampton and we feared the worst....
Fortunately we were soon up and away. On the way back we flew over Liverpool and could see Anfield all lit up and assumed the game was on (learnt on landing that it had been postponed) again that was all we could see with the floodlights being very powerful. Fortunately with it being foggy, the Scousers didn't nick the planes wheels! :D
Once more, landing was made in very low fog.
Full respect to the pilots - cant praise them enough.
It has not been foggy in Manchester today, but my kids arrive back from Lanzarote tomorrow, my brother + family from Dubai and Morrissey from Amsterdam! so hopefully all will be well tomorrow.

As usual, coz a few flights from London are cancelled it is major news. The f***ers wouldnt report it if it was Manchester / Leeds and Bradford or Teeside Airport.
HIT THE NORTH!

The Goat

This comment is in no way helpful for anybody trying to get to Manchester - but I just wanted to say be careful, good luck, and be safe to everybody going to the gigs Friday & Saturday! (Morrissey and everybody with him coming back from Amsterdam obviously included!) I saw the story about the fog & travel problems on bbc.com this afternoon, and the first thing I thought of was all of you.

Back
Top Bottom