An REM thread for r.e.m. stuff

That does help, thank you. ^_^

Welcome aboard Girl!! Tara and I go back a long way on the AP b sides thread. I suggested she come over here and have a look around. Told her most of us were pretty nice.

Let me know if you need help "finding" the IRS and Warner singles sets.

Blister

Hey and welcome, Tara. If you're looking for rarities, I assume you've already been through the 15 albums and Chronic Town. So, yeah, I agree with the above: Dead Letter Office is next and then the so-called "complete" rarities (which are not complete), but make sure there are two sets. One covers the IRS years and the other, the Warner years. Be sure to get the correct version of both, as there are caveats (I wrote most of that in the Wikipedia article). Then there's demos bootlegs floating around and the many bootleg live sets in places like Dime. You'll have work for a year.

Gargumma, so it was you that added the corrections?! Awesome.

Just wondering if anyone went the distance and put together a playlist of the "corrected" songs and missing songs in one place.

Gargumma, so it was you that added the corrections?! Awesome.

Just wondering if anyone went the distance and put together a playlist of the "corrected" songs and missing songs in one place.

It was me, man. Formatting, adding the "known issues" and some of the "problems solved" part. :)

And... I also did that other thing, hah. Remember that other download site you invited me to? There is a collage where you can find most of the missing songs from that collection.

Last edited:
Hi. I'm new to the whole R.E.M. super-fan thing, and was wondering if anyone could help me with the rarities? Like, a list or something?

Start with Dead Letter Office; the catalog LP that mops up the better outtakes through the Pageant era.

An exhaustive (but not complete) set of officially released b-sides and rarities was put out recently as a digital release you can learn about it here.

Sometime back in this thread, a member posted links to a many-volume bootleg set called Trolling For Olives, which was a fairly complete assemblage of everything that hadn't made the catalog releases. The links are long since expired but the tracklists may still be up.

Hope that helps.

Here is the complete Trolling For Olives set of non-LP tracks, along with a few other rarities sets.

Just under three and a half gigs of album outtakes, demos, sessions tracks, compilation-only songs, alternate versions, notable live material, b-sides, etc. Fairly well organized by era.

Oh, and all the fan club Christmas singles and b-sides.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3ihj4lh0aqe5ldf/REM_rarities.zip

I went to the Mediafire site for the Trolling for Olives download, & got this message:

Invalid or Deleted File.

The key you provided for file access was invalid. This is usually caused because the file is no longer stored on MediaFire. This occurs when the file is removed by the originating user or MediaFire.

Still have questions, or think we've made a mistake? Please contact support for further assistance.

:(

You know, Blister, I wanted to be excited, but... again they come up with stuff for hardcore fans who already got all that.

1) The original CD, now remastered: if they do with it the same as they did with the six previously released anniversary editions, it's a hard pass. They've just compressed the albums into unlistenability. That "remastering" work was absolutely awful and I'd rather they don't even release that crap and conspurcate the good memory of the band.

2) The demos: there are at least three different bootlegs with OOT demos around, so most of us have known most of the material for years now. I'm only curious about some of those repeat demos -- could be new to me. As for the rest, the CD is even missing some demos we already have. And that "previously unreleased untitled song" is likely good old "Speed Metal" we've known for years as well, so... meh.

3) Mountain Stage: the bootleg has been traded to exhaustion. It could be nice to have a cleaner version, but again, meh. Quite uneeded.

4) Blu-ray: I'll likely never own a Blu-ray player in my lifetime. That's just me, tho.

I'll wait for the Automatic anniversary edition next year. They could finally release the demos and that would be incredible. Likely won't, and the bonus is gonna be that one show that served as b-sides for all the singles, and/or the stuff already on The Automatic Box. OK, I'll try to be excited for NAiHF in a few years.

Last edited:
You can count on Chris H. to release all the AFTP demos if R.E.M. doesn't. Oh wait, we can't.

Remember when I said he would only share the boring stuff we've all already had for years? Exactly what he's doing.

Hi I'm new to the forum but a long-time R.E.M. fan. Also I can't wait for the out of time 25th anniversary release just for those demo's :) I have all the bands albums and the 2 sets (Complete Rarities: IRS. 1982-1987 & Complete Rarities: Warner Bros. 1988–2011) but nothing else and I know there's alot out there and even some stuff missing from the 2 sets I have. So basically what I'm asking is could anyone on here help me out with some downloads please?

Here is the complete Trolling For Olives set of non-LP tracks, along with a few other rarities sets.

Just under three and a half gigs of album outtakes, demos, sessions tracks, compilation-only songs, alternate versions, notable live material, b-sides, etc. Fairly well organized by era.

Oh, and all the fan club Christmas singles and b-sides.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3ihj4lh0aqe5ldf/REM_rarities.zip

this upload looked like it contained alot of what I'm after if someone could re-up it for me please and throw in anything else that might be missing i would eternally be in their debt

Many Thanks

I did the pre-order for the 4 disc set. I was able to download The Radio Song demo as part of the pre-order. I had never heard that version where Bill Berry is singing part of the song. It sounds really good to me. The Fretless demo download is also a version I had never heard before from the demos/outtakes that have been on the net for years.I hope the other demos are things that I havent already heard over the past 15 years.

Last edited:
REM are the American Smiths. Sexually ambiguous frontman with a take it or leave it voice, lyrics that you laugh at or love, jingle jangle guitars...

Am I wrong? Do I want to be right? I dunno...

Hi

My wife has decided to sale her small R.E.M. collection as she lost interest in it many years ago.

I have two questions:

A - Is there anything listed below of interest that I would be better off selling individually?

B - As she wants to sell it as a job lot is there any particular couriers you would recommend using (due to the total weight)?

REM CD Singles

Aftermath CD1 UK

Aftermath CD2 UK

All The Way To Reno UK

Animal UK

At My Most Beautiful UK

Bad Day CD1 UK

Bad Day CD2 UK

Bang and Blame UK

Bittersweet Me UK

Crush with Eyeliner UK

Daysleeper French

Daysleeper UK

Drive UK

E bow the Letter UK

Electron Blue CD1 UK

Electron Blue CD2 UK

Everybody Hurts CD1 French

Find the River French

I'll take the Rain UK

Imitation of Life UK

Leaving New York CD1 UK

Leaving New York CD2 UK

Losing My Religion UK

Lotus French

Lotus UK

Man on the Moon UK

Near Wild Heaven UK

Nightswimming UK

Radio Song UK

Shiny Happy People UK

Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite CD1 UK

Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite CD2 UK

Strange Currencies UK

Suspicion UK

The Great Beyond UK

The One I Love UK

Tongue UK

Wanderlust CD1 UK

Wanderlust CD2 UK

What's The Frequency, Kenneth? UK

What's The Frequency, Kenneth? (Maxi single) UK

Promos

Aftermath UK

Animal UK

Bad Day UK

Bittersweet Me US

Daysleeper German

Drive US

Electrolite US

Electron Blue UK

Imitation of Life UK

I'll Take The Rain UK

It's the End of the World As We Know It UK

Leaving New York UK

Losing My Religion US

Losing My Religion US

Lotus US

Man on the Moon US

Orange Crush US

Shiny Happy People US

Stand US

Tongue US

3"

At My Most Beautiful Japan

Daysleeper Japan

Lotus Japan

Suspicion Japan

Cassettes

Shiny Happy People

The One I Love

7" vinyl

Crush with eyeliner

Electrolite

Tongue

REM CD Albums

Automatic for the People Japan

Close Up (interviews) UK

Dead Letter Office UK

Document (no. 5) UK

Fables of the Reconstruction UK

Green UK

Life's rich Pageant UK

Man on the Moon (film soundtrack) UK

Monster UK

Murmur UK

New Adventures in Hi-Fi UK

Reveal UK

Singles Collected UK

The Best of REM UK

The Best of REM - In Time 1986-2003 UK

Up UK

REM Cassette Albums

Automatic for the People

Best of REM

Monster

Out of Time

Many thanks

Hi
New to the forum. I'm currently looking to fill in the gaps of the Warner Rarities set. I do have some of that stuff on CD singles and soundtracks but some if it I can't find anywhere and all the links seem to be dead. Especially looking for the German iTunes überlin single that has the Live In Studio version of Every Day Is Yours To Win. If anyone is looking for anything specific that I have, I'll be happy to post it.
Thanks!

Tags
r.e.m. rem
Back
Top Bottom