25 Horribly Sexist Vintage Ads

That's an interesting observation. I don't think a company would get away with advertising a douche that is "germ-killing" and that promises to make you less repulsive to your husband, but still advertisers make their living on encouraging self-hatred in women, preying on human insecurities about getting older, being unattractive, etc. Advertising to males tends to go the opposite way: flattering them and playing up to their egos.

Yes, exactly. The underlying messages are the same, they are just being a bit more subtle about it.

That must be it :)

Where are you in Copenhagen? I lived in Nørrebro and Brønshøj for many years but now I am udenlandsdansker in the UK.

Great! I live in Nørrebro now! Might turn into an "udenlandsdansker" someday too, not sure yet. Hope you're doing well in the UK. :)

Yes, exactly. The underlying messages are the same, they are just being a bit more subtle about it.

I agree on that too. The world is still sexist.
For instance, a woman who doesn't shave her legs, armpits, etc. nowadays would be considered disgusting, unhygienic and unattractive by most people. But in ads they would only mention how beautiful and attractive a sufficiently shaven woman is, not how "disgusting" a hairy woman would be.
:crazy:

Tags
good old days
Back
Top Bottom