What is the most underrated track on "Viva Hate" ?

What is the most underrated track on "Viva Hate" ?

• Total voters

Belligerent Ghoul

Hall of Famer
MozJapanII.jpg

I picked Dial-A-Cliche. I think every one of those songs could have been a single though. It's interesting to compare the mechanical sounding drums on Little Man, what Now? to the sound of the drums on Life is a Pigsty. someone should do a megamix.

Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together is that underrated ? but my itunes shuffle keeps playing it, i like his vocals and the violins.

Has to be Bengali in platforms for me.
I think the whole furore surrounding the racist stuff at the time in particular the line "life is hard enough when you belong here" was totally over the top.
Alan

Why Break Up The Family?

Love the lyrics, the sentiment, the singing, and the basic arrangement (or near a cappella performance if you prefer). I think it speaks to Morrissey's feelings moving on after the breakup of The Smiths - looking forward and not back. And I think the song's themes are universal.

I’ve got to go with Break Up The Family too, one of my absolute favourites. The opening line alone- ‘the strange logic in your clumsiest line..’, I just love the sound of it somehow- the way the words fit together. I used to replay that opening over and over.
It’s a beautifully sad song, sad because of it’s autobiographical content but also because I can relate to it so well, especially the, ‘home late, full of hate, despise the ties that bind’, it’s a perfect line- sums it up exactly. I jut love it.

Has to be Bengali in platforms for me.
I think the whole furore surrounding the racist stuff at the time in particular the line "life is hard enough when you belong here" was totally over the top.
Alan

I couldn't agree more with yor sentiments and i find it pretty catchy. Ive went for Maggie On The Guillontine; I like the soft/mellow music with the over-the-top vitriolic lyrics.

Definitely Dial-A-Cliche.
Little Man and Break Up The Family were underrated too, but they got some reappraisal by being played live in 2000/2002.

Yep, indeed, yes, no doubt.

Dial-A-Cliche... because even around this forum it gets put down now and again, and I'd say it's the 4th best song on the album.

My pick goes to 'The Ordinary Boys'.

Sure, I could've picked 'Bengali' but in my opinion it isn't really underrated.

'The Ordinary Boys' is a song which gets often overlooked. The lyrics are pretty direct and the music sparkling. The piano part is excellent and when the viola jumps in, it becomes gorgeous. Lovely.

One of my favorites on the album, as you can tell :)

Margaret On The Guillotine
Great song acctually, very witty and full of hatred. All songs are great though.

Definitely Dial-A-Cliche.
Little Man and Break Up The Family were underrated too, but they got some reappraisal by being played live in 2000/2002.

You are exactly right, Johan de Witt. My three favorite songs on the album are the classics Alsatian Cousin, Sunday, and Maudlin Street, and while I probably like Little Man a bit more than Cliché, it was played live so Moz likes it at least.

Has to be "I Don't Mind If You Forget Me". Vini's playing on that track is superb, plus Morrissey gave us probably his best-ever rhyming couplet: "Your mild 'Best Wishes'/They make me suspicious".

"I Don't Mind If You Forget Me"... :)

It's always been one of my favorite Morrissey songs in general...overlooked and underrated to say the least...

plus take a look at my user name...haha...

Last edited:
Damn this is hard most of the songs on Viva Hate are underrated but i'm gonna go with Angel Angel

Back
Top Bottom