What is a true Morrissey fan?

I can't understand why this is a question anyone could be arsed to respond to.
Is this a competition?
I can only speak for myself ofcourse but I buy the records and have a great time listening.
Why should I give a toss if that makes me a fan or an air conditioning unit (see what I did there?)

your naht a tru fan. y r u hear?

You say this:

I wasn't dictating anything.

I didn't dismiss....I said I disagree. I love the voice of Sam Smith....but I wouldn't say I was a fan....because of the depth of his lyrics.

That's an insult....that's not a response...

I hate that pig faced f***er's voice. Butchering him would definitely not be a case of "meat is murder".

I think ultimately if you were a "true" fan you would think for yourself and say what you believe in -- popular opinion or not -- because that is what Morrissey certainly encourages. Do you think he would appreciate yes men who ride his coattails or opinionated individuals who can challenge him yet remain amicably constructive? Not that the average fan is in a position to either get approval or disapproval from Morrissey so it ultimately doesn't matter. But being a follower is definitely not what Morrissey is about. I'll add that there is a difference between giving him some stick and explaining your position with intelligence and logic from simply saying "the new album is a f***ing pile of shit nuggets and Morrissey is a fat, obnoxious two inch cocked c***face, end of story".

To be direct and answer the question: "what is a true fan?" There's really no such thing. It's like saying "what's a true queer?" and saying "you might like men but I'm the only true queer 'cause I take it up me arse from 22 different lads on an evening and you lot o' f***ers ain't true queers 'cause you don't take it up the arse at all!" Queer is queer. Fan is fan. End of story. And no you don't have to want to take Morrissey's massive dick up your arse to be a fan OK Keeney boy? But if you do want that, that's perfectly alright as well. There's a lad now carry on.

Last edited:
Do you think he would appreciate yes men who ride his coattails or opinionated individuals who can challenge him yet remain amicably constructive?

As far as what I've read, if you're not a yes man to Morrissey he doesn't want you around. Obviously, I don't know what the real story is but his past seems littered with folks who didn't do exactly what he wanted and were tossed aside for someone who would.

As far as what I've read, if you're not a yes man to Morrissey he doesn't want you around. Obviously, I don't know what the real story is but his past seems littered with folks who didn't do exactly what he wanted and were tossed aside for someone who would.

Yes I was thinking that myself and was going to add to that. As far as the people around him in his working relationships I'd totally agree especially at this stage of his career. But the people he admires from afar or admired growing up were not yes men. Not followers. And if you as a fan want to represent Morrissey how could you be a petty little follower yourself?

Yes I was thinking that myself and was going to add to that. As far as the people around him in his working relationships I'd totally agree especially at this stage of his career. But the people he admires from afar or admired growing up were not yes men. Not followers. And if you as a fan want to represent Morrissey how could you be a petty little follower yourself?

What? When has Moz ever NOT demanded 'yes men only' on the payroll? Do as I say or get the ax is his motto.

Too true. But odd that he admires an image that he doesn't seem to represent himself. I wonder how he would explain it.

What? When has Moz ever NOT demanded 'yes men only' on the payroll? Do as I say or get the ax is his motto.

Yes that's true I suppose but it seems like nowadays he doesn't "have" to make records or tour anymore so if he does anything at all there will be no compromise whereas through the early to mid 90s he would have at least had more at stake in his mind, trying to rise to "super stardom". Now he knows that dream is over and he seems to care less than ever if he steps (or stomps) on a few toes.

Last edited:
What is a false fan?

I dunno...David t? Viva Hate?
This was not my question......shoot me or throw me off a train,....I still maintain....Life is a.........

How about a regular queuer who stands in the queue eating spare ribs?

How about a regular queuer who stands in the queue eating spare ribs?

I remember someone took a picture of me eating a hamburger (mcdonalds, if memory serves) while waiting in line back in the 90's. I also think I had a Cheesesteak, right before he went on stage in Coachella. Yum.

I can't understand why this is a question anyone could be arsed to respond to.
Is this a competition?
I can only speak for myself ofcourse but I buy the records and have a great time listening.
Why should I give a toss if that makes me a fan or an air conditioning unit (see what I did there?)

I asked the question in another thread because keene said that there were a bunch of people here who weren't genuine fans and I asked what it meant to be a genuine fan because I was curious what he would say.

I believed that the answer would make some good points but not include anything that allows for being critical.

What I thought would happen is exactly what did happen.

Expanding on that as this thread has done, I do think that you can really love Morrissey's voice and a genuine fan of his voice but if the songs don't speak to you lyrically then you probably are not getting as much out of the songs as some of us are. I could be wrong as I have never just loved someone for their voice.

I'm more focused on the fact that according to keene you cannot be a fan of Morrissey and not praise everything he does. He didn't quite use those words but I don't seem him speaking at all about criticism. He started this thread and responded to my questioning if any of my specific critical opinions made me unworthy of genuine fan status.

Last edited:
How about a frinker who thinks young Morrissey is more attractive than current Morrissey? Or skinny Morrissey is better than fat Morrissey?

Back
Top Bottom