What do your friends and family think of Morrissey?

Kuiper

Better than Marr
Simply put, what do they think of him? How many fellow fans do you know, do any of your friends or family actually hate him? And what's the verdict on your fandom? Do people see you as obsessed or a bit odd to be such a devoted fan?

My parents and my sister are almost as devoted as I am (my potent influence). A few of my friends have started to like him, and the initial hostility towards Moz amongst a few people has died down considerably. My obsession has been questioned several times, but it's probably my fault for always playing his music and always mentioning him. :o

Erm my dad likes him and the smiths my mum and sister think where both mad im the biggest fan in my house though. Plus all my mates think im mad for liking a guy who's nearly 50 when im 18. who COULDNT like him

nephew: whose he?

brother has some stuff too.

I hate having to say this again but my partner really, REALLY, hates Moz with passion. (i know why it's because he's jealous) My partner thinks i am extremely wierd that i love Moz (in fact if he ever knew how much i loved him....jeez...my partner thinks i just like him, shows what he knows)

My partners family don't understand how i can like this man's music. My mum understands me just coz she's my mum she accepts me and my little quirks. My eldest child experienced a Moz concert with me (it was a first for both of us, and i've said it before so i shan't go on about that day) My middle child has learnt to appreciate Moz and has my music on her Pc and Mp3 player. The youngest (sorry....gotta do it....nah i can't....otherwise he'll turn into a killer) and i love all my kids the same:) adores Moz and his music, so out of the mouths of babes, how can they be wrong.

I have to admit i don't rub my beloved Morrissey in my partners face, i do the opposite and this bothers him. I know i can't win, my house is obviously not big enough for my partner and Moz, so Moz if you are checking out this site, come get me :D

I have a compulsive disorder regarding Moz, i buy magazines from decades ago, my partner can't understand, i have books and dvd's hidden away. But then i go and wear my ROTT t-shirts....hehehe....and he flips. I think i do it to wind him up.

I am sorry for spilling my guts but i ramble on because i can on here. It's the only kind of venting i get. I daren't talk about Moz when my partners about. If only he knew how much i spend on moz.

Sorry, i'll shut up now....:o

:) most of my friends are ok with him ,but at some of the gigs i have been to with them you can see a surpressed yawn or two, i accept this who wants everybody to worship him as much as we do?.........

Well the few people I can really call friends, yes they do like him. One has a passion as much as I do. And my mum is really starting to like him. Along with my other best friend. Her sister really doesn't like him...maybe that's why were not what you could call friends?? :p More like acquaintances you could say........although my best frined thinks me a bit crazy at times for always talking about Moz or always playing his music, she loves me for it though! Most people I know don't particularly like him or really know him at all.....which is A ok with me!:D I know it may sound strange, but true. I'm very selfish in that way, I don't like it when people start to absolutely love my passion. Strange maybe, but so true for me. Probably not a good thing. That's why I remain closed mouthed about most things...except to my about....3 friends. People who don't like or know him aren't worth my time of trying to explain what I like about Moz & what he means to me, they won't get it or understand it anyways I can be assured of it. Their into their little punk bands, emo, screaming rock that's obnoxious and doesn't make any sense whatsoever. So they're not worth my precious time & I am So very ok with it!:D

Last edited:
my parents don't like him, but then again, they don't like any musician.
i just don't think they're very music oriented....my mother is a sculptor and thats all she cares about...and my dad is a science nerd, and aslo, science is all that he cares about...

...but i am making them take me to Los Angeles from Toronto...so I don't mind them being neutral...

My brother is the only one who likes him in my family. My mom thinks it's unhealthy that I admire him so much, especially when I cry. The thing she hears playing in my room is of course Moz. She saids it's an obsession, maybe it is but I can't help it.;) At school the only one who likes Moz is my closest friend, who by the way is also obsessed. We actuallly became friends because she complimented my Smiths t-shirt, and from then on we became friends. I always mention him in conversations and my locker is full of pictures, so I think people know I like him.:D Other kids at my school always tell me they like the Smiths, but not Morrissey, they say Morrissey's stuff is gay and what not.:rolleyes: None of them are my friends, so of course I ignore them and carry on with life.

Erm my dad likes him and the smiths my mum and sister think where both mad im the biggest fan in my house though. Plus all my mates think im mad for liking a guy who's nearly 50 when im 18. who COULDNT like him

welcome to my world.
they think that 30 years is a huge difference. pffffffffffffffff

Most of my friends can take him or leave him, my best friend hates him though. When she was a little girl her parents would blast The Smiths when they were arguing to cover the row (they were both huge fans and it was generally yhe LP that was on the player), so it reminds her of that. Bizarre.

Most of my friends can take him or leave him, my best friend hates him though. When she was a little girl her parents would blast The Smiths when they were arguing to cover the row (they were both huge fans and it was generally yhe LP that was on the player), so it reminds her of that. Bizarre.

How sad that she associates their music with bad times....:( ....that stinks.

Simply put, what do they think of him? How many fellow fans do you know, do any of your friends or family actually hate him? And what's the verdict on your fandom? Do people see you as obsessed or a bit odd to be such a devoted fan?

My parents and my sister are almost as devoted as I am (my potent influence). A few of my friends have started to like him, and the initial hostility towards Moz amongst a few people has died down considerably. My obsession has been questioned several times, but it's probably my fault for always playing his music and always mentioning him. :o

I only know one other person that loves smiths/moz and one that likes some. Everyone else I know hates smiths/moz and give me concerned looks when I play it:D : As I am considered 'miserable' and 'sarcastic' it buys into thier understanding of things. They have no understanding of the tongue-in-cheek and wittiness of it all. Most people are even more against it than my lifelong rockabilly obsession which is saying something. Many people worry that its 'gay' :D these are people that like scissor sisters, madonna and kylie and they worry smiths/moz is gay:D

Most of my friends I know from Morrissey gigs/club nights so they all like him. My other friends all like the odd song here and there, apart from one who mocks me constantly for my fandom.

My mum couldn't care less, my dad doesn't mind him and has been to a couple of the gigs in Manchester and my brother hates him and also mocks me contantly.

I guess it's quite boring when people go on and on about their own personal obsessions to friends and family. Bit like when train spotters mention their obsessions. You kind of want to cave their head in for doing so

Personally, I don't like things being rammed down my throat.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom