What about Alain whyte?

jean.lima

What do you think of Alain Whyte's participation in Morrissey's solo career? For me, Mr. Whyte was responsible for a large part of Moz's musical identity. I was very sorry when he left the band. I really like the post-Whyte albums, though, but I felt like they lost some of their essence.

Wonderful bloke and wonderful musician who doesn’t put up with stupid bullshit.

Alain seems like a great guy, I wish him the best. If there's a chance to see him live, I'm there. I weakly hold onto a fantasy scenario where Morrissey sacks everyone but Brendan, and partners with Alain for a major reboot.

we all work with arseholes in our working lives and get on with it,alain should have bit the bullet,there was no need for him to walk away.

we all work with arseholes in our working lives and get on with it,alain should have bit the bullet,there was no need for him to walk away.
I don't think you can blame people for not staying in a toxic work community where the employer is blind in both eyes. Impossible in the long run.

I don't think you can blame people for not staying in a toxic work community where the employer is blind in both eyes. Impossible in the long run.
most workplaces these days are toxic,M is an employer at the end of the day and should have acted as a go-between for the parties involved.
has M ever sacked someone,people seem to leave of their own accord.

most workplaces these days are toxic,M is an employer at the end of the day and should have acted as a go-between for the parties involved.
Fair throw-in. I assume that he is not really aware that some pieces of the puzzle do not fit. After all, he was once sensitive enough to realize that there were tensions between Boz and Alain over dominance in the band. Why not now? I think it's still a badge of honor for many to play in his band and sometimes the reason for leaving is more lucrative offers (Solomon Walker = Bryan Adams). But it was also the case, that Morrissey, for example, let it be known via Boz, that Spencer's and Gaz's services would no longer be required from 1993 onwards.

I am watching some old concerts from 91-92 and Alain's contribution solely to the live performances were just amazing. Morrissey is an absolute fool to let someone like that get away. I also saw these 2 tours and Alain's stage presence was pretty equal to Morrissey's.

Fair throw-in. I assume that he is not really aware that some pieces of the puzzle do not fit. After all, he was once sensitive enough to realize that there were tensions between Boz and Alain over dominance in the band. Why not now? I think it's still a badge of honor for many to play in his band and sometimes the reason for leaving is more lucrative offers (Solomon Walker = Bryan Adams). But it was also the case, that Morrissey, for example, let it be known via Boz, that Spencer's and Gaz's services would no longer be required from 1993 onwards.
Speaking of that, do we think Brandon is out to do Shakira’s recently announced tour?

What do you think of Alain Whyte's participation in Morrissey's solo career? For me, Mr. Whyte was responsible for a large part of Moz's musical identity. I was very sorry when he left the band. I really like the post-Whyte albums, though, but I felt like they lost some of their essence.

Always thankful for Mr. Whyte for his fine collection of music over the years. Not to mention helping to save Moz's solo career twice (in 1992 and in 2004).

I'm just sad that his second stint resulted in him leaving again. His return in 2021 brought some much needed excitement and enthusiasm as a fan, especially in the live setting where it seemed as if Boz had been simply strumming away into retirement on rhythm guitar for the past decade.

I am watching some old concerts from 91-92 and Alain's contribution solely to the live performances were just amazing. Morrissey is an absolute fool to let someone like that get away. I also saw these 2 tours and Alain's stage presence was pretty equal to Morrissey's.
Totally agree. Even watching concerts after Alain's return in 2021, we can see his incredible enthusiasm on stage. Alain is definitely my favorite member of the Moz gang.The best composer, excellent guitarist, suberb backing vocals and just a nice guy. I hope he returns to the band one day, because I never had the opportunity to see him live. (during the years of "my concerts" , Alain was unfortunately out of the band. Alain, come back, we miss you! :guitar::bow:

Last edited:
Alain's composed more Morrissey-sung songs than anyone else including J Marr, and it's likely to stay that way. I think Alain's written about 80 and Marr about 65.
Although Alain's written some great stuff, I'd say it only includes about 15 genuinely brilliant (or top tier) songs whereas Marr wrote about 50 at that level. Think of a middling solo song between 95 and 2010, and it will probably have been a Morrissey Whyte composition.
So, it's great to have his very best stuff included on albums and it's a shame ('Without Music The World Dies' aside) that this is looking a little unlikely again. Has a great live presence, too, and love his harmonies.

Totally agree. Even watching concerts after Alan's return in 2021, we can see his incredible enthusiasm on stage. Alan is definitely my favorite member of the Moz gang.The best composer, excellent guitarist, suberb backing vocals and just a nice guy. I hope he returns to the band one day, because I never had the opportunity to see him live. (during the years of "my concerts" , Alain was unfortunately out of the band. Alain, come back, we miss you! :guitar::bow:

Same, Alain was the only reason I went to see Morrissey at Manchester Apollo in Oct 22 and it was the best Morrissey gig I had attended for a long time.

What do you think of Alain Whyte's participation in Morrissey's solo career? For me, Mr. Whyte was responsible for a large part of Moz's musical identity. I was very sorry when he left the band.

I really like the post-Whyte albums, though, but I felt like they lost some of their essence.

:unsure: Well, they surely lost the Whyte essence. Morrissey’s musical identity in part comes from any music he chooses to sing on.

He asked Boz to tell Alain that his services weren’t needed on the recording of YoR. That’s as close as he came to sacking a musician.
By contrast, the list of managers that M has sacked is peerless.

Same, Alain was the only reason I went to see Morrissey at Manchester Apollo in Oct 22 and it was the best Morrissey gig I had attended for a long time.
The 2022 UK tour was indeed one of his best ones. It also helped that he was playing theater venues instead of arenas.
YA was a great return to form, and Alain provided most of the music, Mick Ronson as producer gave the songs the rough edge they needed. It always makes me wonder what would have happened to Morrissey’s career if he hadn’t teamed up with Alain at that point in time. I also associate Alain with Morrissey’s most melancholic tunes, the likes of Sunny, Used to be a sweet boy, My life is a procession,,,, Never played symphonies and the magnificant Pigsty A sound that was sadly lost when Alain left.

Last edited:
The 2022 UK tour was indeed one of his best ones. It also helped that he was playing theater venues instead of arenas.
YA was a great return to form, and Alain provided most of the music, Mick Ronson as producer gave the songs the rough edge they needed. It always makes me wonder what would have happened to Morrissey’s career if he hadn’t teamed up with Alain at that point in time. I also associate Alain with Morrissey’s most melancholic tunes, the likes of Sunny, Used to be a sweet boy, My life is a procession,,,, Never played symphonies and the magnificant Pigsty A sound that was sadly lost when Alain left.

I do find it strange how Morrissey alluded to Alain reaching his zenith during the Ringleader era with such songs as Pigsty and Dear God, only to essentially sack him in that same period. I think we all know the person who is responsible for M's downfall, and it certainly wasn't Alain (or Boz).

I’ve been lucky to see Moz live with Alain in the band in 1999 at Liverpool, 2004 at Manchester and 2022 at Blackpool; all brilliant gigs. After seeing him at Leeds in 2011, Manchester the following year and again in 2016, I lost interest, the concerts had become dull and almost lifeless. Obviously Moz is getting on, but after that Blackpool show, it was crystal clear that Alain’s absence was the main factor in the decline in the live shows. It made such a huge difference having him back. Such a shame he left again.

Back
Top Bottom