Morrissey Central "THE LAST OF IRELAND" (MARCH 17, 2024)

8acdcf654615afd6d083234f6c91cc30450c194d.jpg

St Patrick's Day, 2024

On Pembroke Road look out for my ghost,
Dishevelled with shoes untied,
Playing through the railings with little children
Whose children have long since died.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last of Ireland being Morrissey then? :unsure:
I don't know about that. I had a quick scroll through Central and it seems the first time St. Patrick's Day has been commemorated, so it's a recognition of his Irish heritage but there's a dichotomy because the message is imbued with loss, leaving, and death.

The post title, The Last of Ireland, echoes the sentiment stated by many down through the centuries, about this and probably every country. The leader of the 1916 Rising gave a famous eulogy the year before, which ended: "the fools, the fools, the fools! — they have left us our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace."

Not unlike W.B. Yeats poem, September 13, which repeats these lines:
"Romantic Ireland's dead and gone,
It's with O'Leary in the grave."

I think the poem revolves around these lines. Posterity being defined as all one's ancestors, and/or all future generations. So posterity only wants the soul? Who will riddle with me? :o

Here is a recitation by the poet, Patrick Kavanagh himself, from 1963

It is introduced with this words:
PATRICK KAVANAGH WAS a native of Monaghan but spent much of his adult life living in a house on Dublin’s Waterloo Road.

This week’s Dubliners features Kavanagh singing “If Ever You Go To Dublin Town”, from a recording made in 1963, four years before the death of the poet. Kavanagh’s words are tinged with irony and poignancy as he considers his own reputation and legacy.

Superb limning of lots there, that only a a cómhrá could honor. You'll be aware the Irish Hare is full of symbolism - https://westcorkpeople.ie/columnists/the-irish-hare/ :rabbitface: 🪄🧝‍♀️

Kavanagh is a favourite, from "Raglan Road" to "Memory of my Father" which I recited at my fathers funeral.
I'll be meeting an old friend tomorrow, who hails from "the stony grey soil of Monaghan" and in McDaids in Dublin as it happens. Patrick's ghost is everywhere it seems.

Nothing that could rival yours ;)

Anyway, the back door was wide open. Anybody could have walked in instead of me. You might have got a sex maniac.

And when they've all said their piece
It's still you I love
Strange things in liminal spaces.
And Morrissey - Now just like then.

I am so tired of his bullshit, he thinks it's ok for him to be anti immigrant, but if people in the US complain about illegal immigration, he calls us racists. The biggest complaint here is we want people to come here through legal channels, not just pour over the border. We don't have room for them, we don't have housing for them, we don't have resources for them- if they come here legally, those things can be sorted out.

Another (yawn yawn) far right anti-immigrant post from Misserrey Guts.

I am so tired of his bullshit, he thinks it's ok for him to be anti immigrant, but if people in the US complain about illegal immigration, he calls us racists. The biggest complaint here is we want people to come here through legal channels, not just pour over the border. We don't have room for them, we don't have housing for them, we don't have resources for them- if they come here legally, those things can be sorted out.

Can someone please explain what specifically is anti-immigrant / racist about this?

Can someone please explain what specifically is anti-immigrant / racist about this?

Nothing in isolation, but in the context of all the "Ireland is full" anti-immigrant propaganda on social media, it's a dog whistle. Which Stephen & Stew responded to - so it's not in doubt.

Anyway about 40 people sent me a screenshot of SER re-tweeting a racist video about migrants in Ireland (edit) the January before last (so, 2023). He deleted, but not fast enough. It seems he couldn't get Morrissey interested until the wee girl was stabbed by a mentally ill immigrant in Dublin in December & the far right whipped up a riot. Using children to incite anger is a standard technique. And Morrissey is quite vulnerable to anything involving children & animals.

Last edited:

I don't see any migrants destroying a hotel in this video. I only see distressed migrants.

A lot of these hotels (and the occupants) have been attacked by anti-immigrant protestors. It looks like this was filmed during or just after one such attack.

There is nothing in the video to suggest that they 'don't like their food', so I believe that agenda is being fabricated and positioned to incite hatred.

The narrator says the people of Ireland have have had a-nough! He also says fink instead of think.

Morrissey got some stick for his assessment of the way the London mayor spoke. Well, this person's command of language isn't any better.

Just another dim-ass, middle-aged teen on the spree....

Last edited:
He is saying the same thing he always says, then denies. This time, it's the last of Ireland, just another one of his claims that countries and cultures are being destroyed by immigrants. There have been instances where he has told some story about a child or someone else getting hurt or killed, only to find out it was by an immigrant. There is the Der Spiegel interview. I have long maintained and still do that he can say whatever he wants, as long as he owns it, he is completely entitled to his opinion.

Here in the US we are being overwhelmed by illegal immigration, the sex trafficking and the drug trafficking they bring with them. It's disgusting, I understand people's frustration with this, I am frustrated by this. But Morrissey has a completely different opinion when it happens in the US, we are 'racist' because in this case the immigrants are Mexicans and South Americans, his biggest fan base, so he talks the talk for them.

He also made some complaint that Tina Dehghani's family had some trouble getting in the US decades ago due to our 'strict immigration policies', but he has no problem coming here and plopping his ass by a pool in an expensive LA hotel. He can come here and he chooses to come here and stay here and if we are so 'racist', why would he even want to be here?

He is saying the same thing he always says, then denies. This time, it's the last of Ireland, just another one of his claims that countries and cultures are being destroyed by immigrants. There have been instances where he has told some story about a child or someone else getting hurt or killed, only to find out it was by an immigrant. There is the Der Spiegel interview. I have long maintained and still do that he can say whatever he wants, as long as he owns it, he is completely entitled to his opinion.

Here in the US we are being overwhelmed by illegal immigration, the sex trafficking and the drug trafficking they bring with them. It's disgusting, I understand people's frustration with this, I am frustrated by this. But Morrissey has a completely different opinion when it happens in the US, we are 'racist' because in this case the immigrants are Mexicans and South Americans, his biggest fan base, so he talks the talk for them.

He also made some complaint that Tina Dehghani's family had some trouble getting in the US decades ago due to our 'strict immigration policies', but he has no problem coming here and plopping his ass by a pool in an expensive LA hotel. He can come here and he chooses to come here and stay here and if we are so 'racist', why would he even want to be here?

Is he not allowed to enjoy aspects of a country while disagreeing with its circumstances?

America is Not the World expresses his love for the country, while conveying his frustrations with it.

He travels to Istanbul and Israel etc. Indeed, many countries he vists have very complex problems, questionable cultural practices and invariably murder animals.

Many of us are walking contradictions in this life. He is from an immigrant family himself.

Racists have been twisting his comments & exploiting the media situation to misinform people around him, including SER, who runs Central.

That's why Morrissey's said some explicitly pro-immigrant things & has given money to a pro-immigrant anti-racist UK charity while the "anti" stuff is ambiguous.

To be honest, I really don't know what to make of this post. If it's indeed meant to be anti-immigrant, I don't see the point. People of a certain age seem to always fear that someone comes and takes away their everything or changes their country entirely. That's nothing more than fear. In Moz' case it's especially baffling, because he told in his autobiography himself that they had immigrated in bigger groups to stay together etc, things he now would fear immensly...and his comment somewhere, that today it is different, the "gates are flooded" or something. What bullshit, really. There is absolutely no difference between the Irish coming to England because of better opportunities in the 60ies and people emigrating today, other than people nitpicking, who is a "good" immigrant and a "bad" one. Really inhumane and racist.

But maybe it was just a poem for St. Patricks Day and had no agenda. It is a possibility, right?

Last edited:
To be honest, I really don't know what to make of this post. If it's indeed meant to be anti-immigrant, I don't see the point. People of a certain age seem to always fear that someone comes and takes away their everything or changes their country entirely. That's nothing more than fear. In Moz' case it's especially baffling, because he told in his autobiography himself that they had immigrated in bigger groups to stay together etc, things he now would fear immensly...and his comment somewhere, that today it is different, the "gates are flooded" or something. What bullshit, really. There is absolutely no difference between the Irish coming to England because of better opportunities in the 60ies and people emigrating today, other than people nitpicking, who is a "good" immigrant and a "bad" one. Really inhumane.

But maybe it was just a poem for St. Patricks Day and had no agenda. It is a possibility, right?

The flooded comment was taken out of context, It's from the 2007 NME interview that he sued & won over. The area of London he mentioned was Kensington, which had seen an influx of foreign billionaires, who buy property they rarely use. It's nearly all tourists & short term visitors. But he agreed he also liked to live that way & if the NME hadn't decided to do a number on him it wouldn't be remembered at all.

I don't see any migrants destroying a hotel in this video. I only see distressed migrants.

A lot of these hotels (and the occupants) have been attacked by anti-immigrant protestors. It looks like this was filmed during or just after one such attack.

There is nothing in the video to suggest that they 'don't like their food', so I believe that agenda is being fabricated and positioned to incite hatred.

The narrator says the people of Ireland have have had a-nough! He also says fink instead of think.

Morrissey got some stick for his assessment of the way the London mayor spoke. Well, this person's command of language isn't any better.

Just another dim-ass, middle-aged teen on the spree....

Hotels that have been attacked didn't have anyone in them at the time. All evidence I've seen online has been that the destruction inside was done by those living there, and the people/children crying/hurt were victims of other asylum seekers.

If you want to see the Irish complain about mass immigration, there are plenty of those voices on the net if you don't like common English voices.

Thankfully, one of the major problems in Ireland has today resigned.

Hotels that have been attacked didn't have anyone in them at the time.

A quick Google of 'migrant hotel attack' shows me that there have been a multitude of attacks on hotels when migrants were there (or in close proximity outside, defending themselves)

I don't follow the topic that closely, as the false news and propaganda does not interest me. A quick scan tells me all I need to know.

Like the majority of the headlines, the main purpose is to divide the population further.

Racists have been twisting his comments & exploiting the media situation to misinform people around him, including SER, who runs Central.

That's why Morrissey's said some explicitly pro-immigrant things & has given money to a pro-immigrant anti-racist UK charity while the "anti" stuff is ambiguous.
There is nothing ambiguous about this post. Misserrey has been going about Europe in recent years telling his fans in places like Paris that once their city is gone, it’s gone. He’s a swivel eyed hate filled anti-immigrant man. That’s what he is! A man.

There is nothing ambiguous about this post. Misserrey has been going about Europe in recent years telling his fans in places like Paris that once their city is gone, it’s gone. He’s a swivel eyed hate filled anti-immigrant man. That’s what he is! A man.

:rolleyes:

Nothing in isolation, but in the context of all
This pathetic bias means perceiving associations everywhere now, that Malarkey-Solo overlays on unrelated expressions.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom