Morrissey Central "ANOTHER WORLD." (March 5, 2024)

The problem with nostalgia is that people let their past define who they are. The past is not you, nor are your extrapolations into the future. All you ever have is now. Then was now, and the future will also be now.

It is just the ego that feeds off past and future for its conceptual sense of self; the ego finds it almost impossible to embrace the present moment. It is always searching for something else - something better, or something that was better.

Right on! Alchey! (y)

Great to see Marc Almond in the end!
:clap:
the charts were much more diverse in those days,you had sam fox,michael ball,def leppard and M on the same programme.
good to see two very good scottish bands in texas and hue & cry.
wonder if def leppards singer joe elliots dislike of M started around about this time,he never understood all the fuss about the lyrics or music of manchesters finest.
That was a diverse bunch. An enjoyable watch :guitar:

I remember when I used to listen to this over and over and you could only get it as an import from a little independent music shop in my town, the owner would take custom orders for imports.
I remember our little independant record shop where all the punks and goths etc would hang out, with smog from cigarette smoke and the manager used to get me all the Smiths promos and posters. When Louder than Bombs came out U.S only i had to get him to order it, £30, which in 1987 was a lot of cash. Good times

Last edited:
"A History of a Dangerous Emotion."

I'm not sure what sense 'dangerous' has here, whether there are invisible scare quotes around it or not, but it seems to me that if there's one thing that's dangerous it's medicalising emotions. (One suspects that there are political motivations when such medicalising takes place.)

Szasz might have gone a little far in saying there's no such thing as mental illness, but he surely had a point in citing such 'illnesses' as drapetomania as bogus:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drapetomania
You do realise that you can read books that challenge your viewpoint, don't you?!

Yep, interesting. @goinghome posted this other interesting book, and here to add balance, or to simply say, it’s not all doom and gloom …

A leading psychological researcher shares compelling science and valuable practices for mindfully using nostalgia to live a more grounded, connected, and purposeful life.

‘When an old song makes you want to dance like you did in high school, or you long for the comforting taste of your mom’s cooking, that’s more than just memory—it’s nostalgia. But is nostalgia all about “living in the past” to hide from reality? In Past Forward, psychologist Clay Routledge presents a fascinating investigation into an emotion we all experience yet often misunderstand, revealing nostalgia’s extraordinary potential to enrich our present—and our future.

Dr. Routledge has been at the forefront of a new wave of research that has established a fresh, evidence-based view of nostalgia—not as a psychological weakness, but as a complex and valuable resource for our well-being. Here he presents a treasury of informed insights and science-based practices to help you turn nostalgia into a powerful ally, including:

• Understanding nostalgia—what this feeling is and why it’s necessary for a healthy psyche

• Enhancing your sense of self—how nostalgia can help you build confidence and self-esteem

• Deepening connection—the possibilities and pitfalls of nostalgia as a foundation for personal and group relationships

• Coping with stress—invoking the past to face present-day anxieties with clarity and resilience

• Finding purpose—how nostalgic reflection can reveal your most enduring values

• Moving into the future—excavating the past as a source for innovation, creativity, and hope
If we approach nostalgia with awareness and discernment, we can use our cherished memories to help look outside of ourselves, connect with others, and weave a meaningful life story that supports us through difficult times. As Dr. Routledge puts it, “By engaging in nostalgia, we are not moving toward the past. We are bringing the past forward to the present to help us build a more fulfilling future.”

And where would we be if Morrissey didn’t use nostalgia and it’s healthy benefits for not only himself, but for all of us, through looking back and being positively creative?

Keep looking back, Mozi, in anger or in love

All very fascinating.

It's an emotion that doesn't get as much attention as others but is arguably just as important.

M seems to thrive on the subject. Currently reading Autobiography for the umpteenth time and the way he talks about the artists on ToTP in such an entrancing way and then seeing him multiple decades later still posting similar (videos) is cute. When he loves something, he seems to love it until the end which is so unusual these days.

Another world aka a world where he was relevant, made good music and wasn't an unreliable c***.
Morrissey has been unreliable going back to his Smiths days.

There was supposed to be a music video made for either Sheila or Shoplifters, and Morrissey didn’t bother turning up, so one was never made.

Some Moz vibes from Mark there, even so the song hasn't aged that good. No offense to Gene Pitney.
And Sam, you were the one.
Also: had completely forgotten, that JAZZ had another single in the charts but boy, it's been 35 years. For you and me now.

The Gene Pitney song wasn't new then.....it's a 60's song. It's still good.

Morrissey has been unreliable going back to his Smiths days.

There was supposed to be a music video made for either Sheila or Shoplifters, and Morrissey didn’t bother turning up, so one was never made.
Wasn't a video shoot no show one of Johnny's tipping points? Where Moz wouldn't come out the house.

Advice to not look back is a very cynical and dangerous message. 'He who controls the past controls the future' or words to that effect.
They don't want us to look back because we'll truly begin to realise how shit the present is. Nostalgia in moderation is perfectly healthy. After all, when we die all we can leave behind is our history.

Wasn't a video shoot no show one of Johnny's tipping points? Where Moz wouldn't come out the house.
I believe this is correct.

Johnny had to cover for him and apologise to everyone involved in the shoot.

By summer 1987 he got tired of covering for him and that was the end of The Smiths.

I believe this is correct.

Johnny had to cover for him and apologise to everyone involved in the shoot.

By summer 1987 he got tired of covering for him and that was the end of The Smiths.

It also cost the band a lot of money for nothing. The director Tamra Davis had been flown in from America for the shoot.

Advice to not look back is a very cynical and dangerous message. 'He who controls the past controls the future' or words to that effect.
They don't want us to look back because we'll truly begin to realise how shit the present is. Nostalgia in moderation is perfectly healthy. After all, when we die all we can leave behind is our history.

zen-poster-on-eternal-now (1).jpg

Interesting as your 'history' might be, it still isn't actually who you are. It is not - and never can be - the essence of you. People may read about your history, but that which they are reading about is not actually you.

You only ever exist in the now - though unfortunately a lot of people simply can't fully embrace the present moment because they are consumed by the activity of the mind, and distracted by the ego.

Everything you create outside yourself, including the past and the future, is defined by the conceptual world around you (in which we are conditioned since birth)

Once you are aware of the ego and the habitual reactivity of the mind, all of this becomes very clear.

For anyone wanting to explore more on this, you might find it interesting to look up 'The Many Faces of Ego' by Eckhart Tolle on YouTube.

I have recently considered the song Christian Dior in this context. Morrissey is assessing the frivolous nature and distractions of the fashion world, summarising it as a 'waste of life'. He then contrasts it with the impulsive approach of living on the edge, which requires the person to be very present and to fully embrace the now.

With his own associations with the music business and culture as a whole, I wonder if he himself is reflecting on how much of the 'waste of life' distractions he has been side-tracked with, which pull you away from really living and experiencing life now.

Morrissey admires writers such as Wilde, Byron, Keats and Shelley. They were all out there living life in a very visceral and precarious way. I wonder if he's ruminating which he's more of - the romantic poet out on the streets who experiences life in that way, or the cocooned artistic creator such as Christian Dior.

Last edited:
One of my favorite Morrissey songs!!

"Oooh I can't help quoting you, 'cuz everything that you say rings true!!"

One of his most true lyrics for me personally. Morrissey sings it to me, but I feel it's more of me singing the line to him. I've always been a big lyric lover, it being one of the most important aspects of music to me. He is brilliant.

Once Morrissey, always Morrissey. ❤️ He knows where he came from, he knows where he's going, and he knows where he belongs. You said he was ill, well... you are not wrong.
He is STILL ILL. 😂🥴🤭
IMG_20240120_064833.jpg

Please be fair
You must tell the kids they live in hell now

Today's version of nostalgia makes the past look enchanted and enviable.

There is another form of grief which is getting increasing attention, and which has become a recognized psychological health issue for society at large and especially among indigenous groups, displaced and marginalized communities, younger generations and especially among those directly impacted by climate change: ecological grief, or what is also called solastalgia. The collective experience of this form of grief may not be universal, but as the direct effects of climate disruption become more intense, more widespread, and more frequent, human distress syndromes are increasing as well. It’s a response to the loss of biodiversity, species extinction, global pollution, and the general erosion of planetary life support systems as well as to the more direct impacts that come from local change. We see the future eroding before our eyes. It’s as visceral a feeling as any other, even deeper, existential. It’s a nagging anxiety, a feeling of helplessness and a sense that something beyond our commonplace comprehension is so very wrong, that we are losing something which can never be replaced.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom