Strange/unexpected Moz references?

Yeah. When it comes to "fake news", I think The Onion is a lot better.
I can't believe this piece from The Onion is 20 years old now. It's still an all-time classic of its kind. Opening paragraph:

Would someone tell me how this happened? We were the f***ing vanguard of shaving in this country. The Gillette Mach3 was the razor to own. Then the other guy came out with a three-blade razor. Were we scared? Hell, no. Because we hit back with a little thing called the Mach3Turbo. That's three blades and an aloe strip. For moisture. But you know what happened next? Shut up, I'm telling you what happened—the bastards went to four blades. Now we're standing around with our cocks in our hands, selling three blades and a strip. Moisture or no, suddenly we're the chumps. Well, f*** it. We're going to five blades.

In the latest "Word In Your Ear" podcast there is a slight Morrissey/The Smiths mention.
The topic is the story of the Allman Brothers’ “Jessica”, and how Les Dudek wrote it (mostly) but never received credit for it but in later years the band discussion was it was a collaborative effort and all involved should have profited.
The Smiths connection is that the hosts bring up the Rourke/Joyce lawsuit in that they felt their songwriting contributions deserved more than the 10%.
The portion lasts a minute or less and is at the 38:00 in point (+/-).

In the latest "Word In Your Ear" podcast there is a slight Morrissey/The Smiths mention.
The topic is the story of the Allman Brothers’ “Jessica”, and how Les Dudek wrote it (mostly) but never received credit for it but in later years the band discussion was it was a collaborative effort and all involved should have profited.

The Smiths connection is that the hosts bring up the Rourke/Joyce lawsuit in that they felt their songwriting contributions deserved more than the 10%.
The portion lasts a minute or less and is at the 38:00 in point (+/-).

Didn’t listen. But I wonder if the host knows,
that according to Marr, it was 10% that Mike and Andy agreed to, regardless of what they did or didn’t contribute to the songwriting. And I wonder how the host is defining the term songwriting.

Didn’t listen. But I wonder if the host knows,
that according to Marr, it was 10% that Mike and Andy agreed to, regardless of what they did or didn’t contribute to the songwriting. And I wonder how the host is defining the term songwriting.
The part was so small, it was just rather anecdotal, and the host's perception being that, yes, Marr and Morrissey had song writing credits, and just like the Allman band, the basic tune was there, but eventually, what was released was a collaboration from the bassist and drummer, and whom ever all, that the total contribution was the song that all should have been given credit for. So, parallel like, Joyce and Rourke "contributed" their bits of this and that and the lawsuit was about them getting their deserved credit/compensation as well. That was my take. Not saying that was the host's judgement, he just through the thought in.

The part was so small, it was just rather anecdotal, and the host's perception being that, yes, Marr and Morrissey had song writing credits, and just like the Allman band, the basic tune was there, but eventually, what was released was a collaboration from the bassist and drummer, and whom ever all, that the total contribution was the song that all should have been given credit for.

Yes, thank you. I didn’t listen.

So It seems then that that’s how the host is defining the term songwriting. That by collaborating on music that was brought in by the main composer, then those
collaborators/band members that added their support to the music, should also be credited as songwriters.

But it doesn’t seem that’s how Marr and Morrissey were defining what songwriting is or who the writers of the song are. If Andy and Mike at the time felt that their contributions qualified as songwriting and weren’t getting the songwriting (or collaboration credit) percentage they felt they deserved then they shouldn’t have agreed to it.

I don’t know the Allman Brothers situation. If
the one member came in with just a guitar lick, and if a jam by the whole band was inspired by that lick, then I guess, yes they should get equal writing credit.

Then again, in other cases, so many session musicians are expected to bring in musical ideas to an unfinished song. And yet, they usually don’t get song writing credit.

It’s complicated. But I guess this is where contracts are handy.

So, parallel like, Joyce and Rourke "contributed" their bits of this and that and the lawsuit was about them getting their deserved credit/compensation as well. That was my take. Not saying that was the host's judgement, he just through the thought in.

I don’t think Rourke and Joyce ever sued for additional songwriting royalties. They sued for recording and performing royalties.

Craig Gannon’s suit did involve songwriting royalties/credit though, for “Ask”.

Saw the early postings of this and heard the events unfold on the radio. The horses were being tracked across London and familiar landmarks being mentioned. With the way the world is going at the moment I couldn't help thinking of it as some kind of bad omen. War seems to be creeping closer and seeing the white horse looking that way. Then on the telly later on - one of the injured riders being tended to where he fell in the street...

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom