Morrisseys Worst Lyrics...

Even though I've always quite liked it, America Is Not The World will forever be blemished by the sub-par lyrics. I never know whether to laugh at them or shake my head in disbelief!

Noone seems to like these lyrics. I agree that much of it is quite trite but I love the lines "touch with your hands/hear through your ears/please" etc. I couldn't think of any better advice to contemporary America and in my opinion it's one of the most beautiful moments on the album. It's that simple, touching humanity that is so incredibly rare these days and for which I love Moz to bits.

Noone seems to like these lyrics. I agree that much of it is quite trite but I love the lines "touch with your hands/hear through your ears/please" etc. I couldn't think of any better advice to contemporary America and in my opinion it's one of the most beautiful moments on the album. It's that simple, touching humanity that is so incredibly rare these days and for which I love Moz to bits.

I was just listening to this song the other day, and I think I agree with you. Some of the best bits on Quarry are hidden in the most inexplicably bad songs - "Sick as I am, I would never be you," likewise; a grand, simple statement which easily outpowers many of his more specific statements about politics.

I used to hate Quarry, but we've been getting on better of late. Perhaps its pettiness is both a weakness and a strength; it tries to put very large things in very personal terms, and when this does work, it works brilliantly.

Last edited:

Those are my favourites as well. I've always had a lot of time for the song, especially given that in the last half the song really blossoms. It's just those several poor lines that prevent it from being a truly stellar song.

That's one of my favourite lines form the Quarry, if not The One.

As for the topic, I'm not quite sure I like the Blah, blah, blah line, though I like the song in general, especially live.

I've never quite got the "blah, blah, blah;" I suspect the song was composed and recorded quite quickly.

Great tune though, and I can appreciate the sentiment. :) I imagine its anthemic qualities make it work very well live.

Last edited:
"Download something useful or useless...."

and pretty much all the rest of Wide to Recieve......

I also don't like it when he uses bad language. Bit of a prude really, but his recent use of "shit" and "puke" as lyrics horrified me.

Bit like hearing your own mother using the C word...

Don't make fun of Daddy's voice
Because he can't help it
When he was a teenage boy
Something got stuck in his throat

I'm not quite sure what this is supposed to mean :confused: I wouldn't like it to mean what I think it could mean.

Don't make fun of Daddy's voice
Because he can't help it
When he was a teenage boy
Something got stuck in his throat

I'm not quite sure what this is supposed to mean :confused: I wouldn't like it to mean what I think it could mean.

Oh really, I loved this song. It's just so happy for me, whenever I hear it I feel like painting a happy picture.

Morrissey's worst lyircs don't exist in my tiny little brain, because even if the tune sucks his lyrics always make it sound better in the end.

Let's not forget America is Not the World:

"In America, It brought you the hamburger, Well America you know where, You can shove your hamburger"

I cringe every time I hear that.

Close this thread, we have a winner. Sub-topic: I'm positive this has been mentioned before, but worst sound effect in a Morrissey song...the Saigon-Whore break-down in "November", or the unendurable "mooing" in "Meat is Murder"?

My vote is for sure "Best Friend on The Payroll". I understand the Jake thing, I understand the song, but I dont take anything away from it. Its boring and bland. Says nothing to me, uncreative, etc etc etc.

Yours?

The Jake thing? Wozzat?:confused:

Close this thread, we have a winner. Sub-topic: I'm positive this has been mentioned before, but worst sound effect in a Morrissey song...the Saigon-Whore break-down in "November", or the unendurable "mooing" in "Meat is Murder"?

Woah! I loved the crying in November.... I thought it really added flavour to the song, I always look foward to that part.. I also thought it was really cool.
and about the Mooing, i'm not in love with it, but it adds atmosphere to the song.

Little lamb
On a hill
Run fast if you can
Good Christians, they want to kill you
And your life has not even begun !
You're just like me, you're just like me
Oh, your life has not even begun !
You're just like me, just like me
You're just like me, you're just like, just like me

from Yes I am blind.

Little lamb
On a hill
Run fast if you can

from Yes I am blind.

Sacrilege! Yes, I Am Blind is wonderful. :D

Little lamb
On a hill
Run fast if you can

from Yes I am blind.

Yes I hate that too. That's when in one instance Morrissey deserved all the mopey, whingy criticism. Horribly twee.

Back
Top Bottom